Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (Report)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Renegar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (Report)

I replaced the stock RE050A's with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110's. I got 20,300 miles out of the RE050A's.

My intent with this thread is to provide periodic updates on how the tires are doing as I put miles on them.

First thing to note is that I put 245/40-19's on the front and 275/35-19's on the back. Car came with 225/45-19's in the front and 245/40-19's in the back.
For those that don't already know, this is what is called a "+0" size. It is nearly the same rolling diameter as the stock tires so the speedometer is only off by 0.4 MPH. I personally could not tell a difference probably because the new tires have more tread and may actually have a larger diameter than the worn out ones they replaced.

I'm also using the stock rims. These larger tires fill out the wide factory wheel very well. Looks like the larger size belongs on these rims to me.
Also, there is absolutely no rubbing or clearance issues.

When compared to the stock Bridgestones the first thing I noticed was the reduced noise. They are quieter for sure.

The second thing I noticed is that they actually ride a little better even though they are wider. Sharp impacts feel like a road crew came out and rounded off the edges of all the bumps and potholes. I attribute this to the softer sidewall noted in comment #3 below.

Third thing is the turn-in. I realize these are not yet broken in but the turn-in reponse is much faster. Feels as though the steering ratio went up when it obviously did not, but thats how it feels. However, I've noticed a softer sidewall. The tire is definately not as "direct" as the RE050A. I noticed that when I tried a fast lane change type move that I could feel the rear end playing "catch up" after settling back into a lane. Once out of the car, I noticed the flexing sidewalls after I shook the rear end side to side. The RE050A's barely moved when I did this with them. I'll have to get used to the softer less direct feel, but keep that in mind if you like the immediate direct responses the RE050A's provide.

I've added some photos below. For larger sizes head over to my gallery "https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...12-photos.html"

I will come back and provide updates to things such as dry grip, wet grip, noise over time, MPG changes, etc.

Drop a question and I'll be happy to answer regarding my experience with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110's.

Last edited by Renegar; 08-27-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Updated Initial Comments + Added Photos
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard really good things about these tires, especially for the price. I will be curious to see how the hold up.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Foresite

I need to get new tires. Do you have stock rims and are those sizes larger than OEM tires?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Foresite
I need to get new tires. Do you have stock rims and are those sizes larger than OEM tires?
They're both bigger and wider. The stock sizes are 225 in the front and 245 in the rear. He's running 245 in the front and 275 in the rear.

Yes he also is on stock rims. I'm thinking about doing this rather then going to wheel spacers since I've heard a bunch of complaints with vibration on the road.

These are also so much cheaper then our stock Potenzas. Keep this thread updated because I'm seriously considering getting these in the near future.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
swordsman54

Thanks for doing this. I am also seriously considering these tires in the near future in the same sizes.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 PM
TicketProof

Could u possibly take some pics of the tires on the car so I could see how much more they stick out ? Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Staples

Originally Posted by TicketProof
Could u possibly take some pics of the tires on the car so I could see how much more they stick out ? Thanks
+1 you beat me to it
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Renegar

Originally Posted by TicketProof
Done. See original post again for update.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Foresite

Just so I am absolutely clear on the issue. If you put the larger size tires on the OEM rims is there any downside.

1. Do you have to buy anything extra?
2 Do you have to do anything to the G? (Raise it / lower it?)
3. Does it rub anywhere?

I want to do this but I want to make sure I understand any possible issues before I do. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Renegar
The tire is definately not as "direct" as the RE050A. I noticed that when I tried a fast lane change type move that I could feel the rear end playing "catch up" after settling back into a lane.
Sometimes tire pressure adjustments can improve this feel. Sometimes, "tweaking" alignment settings can also help.

My V12's just came in and I expect to have them mounted this Saturday. I will follow your thread and see if I can add anything.

With the RE050's, I had to bump up the front pressures 1 lb (to 36) to get the turn in feel I was looking for. Maybe the V12's need a little more pressure in the rears. I guess I will start with 35 all around and play from there.

Keep in mind you'll need anywhere from 100 miles to 200 miles of driving to wear off the tread coating. So, no hard cornering, stopping or starting during this time. And, because it takes some driving time to get a feel for pressure changes over your "normal" driving routes, it may take a while playing with pressure changes before you find a happy setting. I also figured I would re-align after about 1,000 miles (thanks, Firestone, for the lifetime alignments).

I am anxious to follow your comments, and see if I can add anything to this thread. Thanks for starting it.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Renegar

Originally Posted by notalk
My V12's just came in and I expect to have them mounted this Saturday. I will follow your thread and see if I can add anything.
Sounds great.

Originally Posted by notalk
Keep in mind you'll need anywhere from 100 miles to 200 miles of driving to wear off the tread coating. So, no hard cornering, stopping or starting during this time. And, because it takes some driving time to get a feel for pressure changes over your "normal" driving routes, it may take a while playing with pressure changes before you find a happy setting. I also figured I would re-align after about 1,000 miles (thanks, Firestone, for the lifetime alignments).
I got the Firestone lifetime alignments too. Pretty good deal.
Funny you should mention the miles it takes to wear off the coating. I have always wondered how long it takes.

Even though I've only got about 130 miles on them, yesterday it rained like mad and I noticed they were terrible in the rain...slidding very easily. I sure hope thats only because they are still so new. I will report on how they handle in the rain after I've got quite a lot more miles on them. I don't want to judge them too soon.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Renegar

Anyone know if we should be running more than 35psi in the wider size tires?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 AM
TJHG37S

I have these in 245/35/20 and 275/30/20 and love them, don't have the wet slipping issue you had so chalk that up to new tires?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Staples

Just ordered these today, couldn't beat the price shipped either!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Renegar

I'll be trying 38psi this week.
As usual, I'll report back if it helped with anything.

Quick Reply: Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (Report)