Alignment issues on new G37 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:13 AM
NOTmyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment issues on new G37 sedan

My girlfriend and I just bought a new G37 and we now have about 500 miles on it. She's the primary driver but when I drive it I feel like the alignment is off. Either that or the steering wheel is off center a bit. I try to think that it's just my imagination because it's a brand new car but I swear that steering wheel is not straight when the car is driving straight. Has this ever happened to anyone? I know this car has very sensitive sporty steering but it just seems that I can't get the car to drive straight on center. I'll be taking it in to the dealer this weekend. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Nocturnal
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me. I'm not sure with time it got better but I thought the same thing. Mine is an 09 Journey.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in NY almost all the roads are tilted to one side or another. Try changing lanes and see if there is any difference becasue alot of highways have a different tilt in different lanes. If the car pulls to one side all the time or if the s. wheel is always at an angle, then you might need an allignment. Here in NY one big pothole can do that, but if its just a little here and a little there, it might just be the sensetive steering messing with your head.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The steering can be off center from the factory; it happened to me on a brand new Maxima. Take it to the dealer, they should be able to align the steering under warranty.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 PM
brynomon

Are you talking about the sterring column alignment or wheel alignment? If you are referring to the steering column alignment I feel the same. It seems like when I sit up straight that the wheel/column is angled a bit towards the window.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brynomon
Are you talking about the sterring column alignment or wheel alignment? If you are referring to the steering column alignment I feel the same. It seems like when I sit up straight that the wheel/column is angled a bit towards the window.
This is exactly what I have. But my car is still pulling straight though. It doesn't bother me that much
Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
brynomon

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
This is exactly what I have. But my car is still pulling straight though. It doesn't bother me that much
My car drives perfectly straight and the wheel alignment is perfect but the steering column is not. So what this means is that i'm looking at the gauges at an angle. Why would one care? Well it slightly hinders my view of the guages.It can be a little difficult to view my speed betwen 80-100, but its not that big of a deal since all i need to do is move my head a little to the side. It just seems kind of odd.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
jjkusaf

had the same issue...steering wheel rotated a few degrees to the left. Took it in to have the dash repaired (separation) and also had the steering wheel fixed.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My steering always was pretty much on track but a the steering wheel was a hair off center. In the past few weeks I think a drive on a bumpy road seems to have pushed the alignment off to where even though it drives straight the wheel is slightly off and it's biased to the left. I'm bringing it in tomorrow for the first service and will have it aligned under warranty as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
mike55912

I have an 08 coupe and I know what you are talking about. Not that the steering wheel is off left to right, but the whole steering column seems angled toward the window. I always thought I was crazy, or just my imagination. Anyone else??
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
NOTmyG37

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm gonna have a look at the steering column later today to see if maybe that's the part that's off center. I can't believe a car this expensive could be built with a crooked steering column. Never even occurred to me the column might be crooked. I'll see what the dealer says when we take it in later. I hope it's just the alignment cause I'd rather not have them take apart the steering column already on a brand new car. Things never fit back right after they get taken apart.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
w0ady

get an alignment done through infiniti under warranty and they should correct the caster.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Mike P

I had the issue on both the Coupe and the Sedan. They gave each an allignment and coded the fix as under the "adjustment period" for the car. And yes both cars were out of alignment. They want you take issues to them so they can fix them. Sometime the alignment is off from the factory or is gets off during the first few weeks of driving. They want you happy. Take advantage.

Last edited by Mike P; 08-07-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM
jjkusaf

Originally Posted by NOTmyG37
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm gonna have a look at the steering column later today to see if maybe that's the part that's off center. I can't believe a car this expensive could be built with a crooked steering column. Never even occurred to me the column might be crooked. I'll see what the dealer says when we take it in later. I hope it's just the alignment cause I'd rather not have them take apart the steering column already on a brand new car. Things never fit back right after they get taken apart.
I don't think they actually do anything in the car (i.e. take apart the steering column). All the corrections are done underneath the car (steering alignment).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Mike P

Originally Posted by jjkusaf
I don't think they actually do anything in the car (i.e. take apart the steering column). All the corrections are done underneath the car (steering alignment).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes they adjust the tow, cast, and camber of the car. They also center the s.wheel, but from the underneath.

Originally Posted by NOTmyG37
What car did you drive in the past that never needed to be aligned? Every other car I have ever had needed to be taken in for this along with centering the streering wheel. Not to be critical, but this is ridicules to have NEVER seen this before.

Quick Reply: Alignment issues on new G37 sedan