19" OEM Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 AM
seayky
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you put a wider tires in the front, more rocks could be flying and hit your lower quarter panel of the car.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrJones
um... i'm having a lot of negative thoughts right now.... I'll check back later.
Checking in and it would make sense to go 245 all around. Push the rears to the front and pick up another set of rear tires/wheels from someone who is upgrading to 20's. This way you can rotate and you dont have to downsize. Nothing wrong with 19X9 all around.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
notalk

Originally Posted by jennychang
i am not being cheap; i am just being smart.
I disagree. You are not being smart because you have not taken the settings (algorithms) used by traction control, stability control, abs, etc which take the front-rear traction differences from the different front-rear tread widths into account. You are assuming you know more about these intricate relationships than the engineers who designed your car.

You are being cheap because you want to do this only to extend tire life to save money. Have you considered going to a "Plus Zero" tire sizing which will give you choices beyond Bridgestone and Nitto? Many of these choices have longer lives than the OEM Bridgestones. If your goal is to reduce the cost of tire purchases, you can do so by reducing their frequency (your only stated option) or by reducing the cost of the tires (something you have not considered) or by reducing BOTH the cost of the tires and the replacement frequency by purchasing less expensive and longer lasting tires (do I see a "winner" here).
Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 AM
jennychang

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Why would she (I'm presuming she's a she) go on G35driver to find G37 wheels? Don't you think more would likely be for sale here rather than there?

Also try ebay and maybe you'll find some single and could get a pair that way as well as sell your pair you take off.
yes. I AM a she! :-) There are other women on this forum, right? Ladies can talk about cars too, right?

Yeah...i knew it is going to be difficult to find someone who is willing to trade, but i thought i should give it a try anyway. I did check on ebay, and majority of them sell the set. eBay does have individual wheel for sale, but they are way over priced. Anyway, thanks for everyone's thoughts into this. I appreciate it.

Last edited by jennychang; 07-16-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
jennychang

Originally Posted by notalk
Have you considered going to a "Plus Zero" tire sizing which will give you choices beyond Bridgestone and Nitto? Many of these choices have longer lives than the OEM Bridgestones. If your goal is to reduce the cost of tire purchases, you can do so by reducing their frequency (your only stated option) or by reducing the cost of the tires (something you have not considered) or by reducing BOTH the cost of the tires and the replacement frequency by purchasing less expensive and longer lasting tires (do I see a "winner" here).
good point, but i don't know much about tires. Any good brand that you would recommend?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
yes. I AM a she! :-) There are other women on this forum, right? Ladies can talk about cars too, right?
There's only a few ladies and none are very active posters consistently except for one who's been MIA lately. Glad to have you. I just didn't want to presume you were a girl and find out you weren't. You can never tell by just a screen name. I get called Betty all the time and I'm a dude, go figure.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I disagree. You are not being smart because you have not taken the settings (algorithms) used by traction control, stability control, abs, etc which take the front-rear traction differences from the different front-rear tread widths into account. You are assuming you know more about these intricate relationships than the engineers who designed your car.

You are being cheap because you want to do this only to extend tire life to save money. Have you considered going to a "Plus Zero" tire sizing which will give you choices beyond Bridgestone and Nitto? Many of these choices have longer lives than the OEM Bridgestones. If your goal is to reduce the cost of tire purchases, you can do so by reducing their frequency (your only stated option) or by reducing the cost of the tires (something you have not considered) or by reducing BOTH the cost of the tires and the replacement frequency by purchasing less expensive and longer lasting tires (do I see a "winner" here).
Your logic seems contradictory to me. You are speaking about settings and algorithms and engineering of keeping the car with stock sizes in stock locations. Then you mention plus zero sizing as an option. There is no plus zero size that is exactly the same as the original size, so your point contradicted itself. Putting all 4 wheels the same size is no worse than choosing 20" wheels and tires of an appropriate size. They are not exactly the same diameter, circumference, tread with, etc. as OEM but they work just fine. The size differences are negligible between OEM fronts and rears in terms of overall wheel/tire circumference (19mm), sidewall height (3mm) and diameter (6mm). Having tires 20mm wider than stock in front poses no problems as a huge number of people are riding on 245 up front (or wider) right now, including me.

The logic of having all 4 the same size is sound. There is no reason, suspension engineering included, that this car needs to have a staggered setup.

Tire Tack has 47 options to choose from in 245/40/19 starting at $120 per tire that would be suitable for our cars.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...9&startIndex=0
Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
notalk

good point, but i don't know much about tires. Any good brand that you would recommend?
The "standard" Plus Zero sizing for the 19" staggered wheels would be 245/40/19 tires on the front and 275/35/19 tires on the rear. There are a number of posts with people discussing their preferences for tires in these sizes. The general consensus is that the stock Bridgestones are pretty good tires. But, their life is short, they are expensive and they ride somewhat harshly. Check both TireRack and DiscountTireDirect for reviews and comments of tires in these sizes. Remember, you are looking for a tire available in both of these sizes so you will have the same tire front and rear.

As for me (22,500 miles on OEM Bridgestones), I will be getting Hankook Ventus V12's. They are considered today's "hot" tire by most European reviewers, and Car And Driver just picked them a close #2 in a tire test (see the Car And Driver web site). I will buy them before their August 31 $50 rebate expires. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your logic seems contradictory to me. You are speaking about settings and algorithms and engineering of keeping the car with stock sizes in stock locations. Then you mention plus zero sizing as an option. There is no plus zero size that is exactly the same as the original size, so your point contradicted itself.
I have been told by various tire engineers the mathematical fr-rr relationship between 225/45/19 fr - 245/40/19 rr and 245/40/19 fr - 275/35/19 rr is within the standard deviation of the algorithms applicable to the G37 sport suspension settings.

In other words, the differences are so close as to be indistinguishable.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
jennychang

The "standard" Plus Zero sizing for the 19" staggered wheels would be 245/40/19 tires on the front and 275/35/19 tires on the rear. There are a number of posts with people discussing their preferences for tires in these sizes. The general consensus is that the stock Bridgestones are pretty good tires. But, their life is short, they are expensive and they ride somewhat harshly. Check both TireRack and DiscountTireDirect for reviews and comments of tires in these sizes. Remember, you are looking for a tire available in both of these sizes so you will have the same tire front and rear.

As for me (22,500 miles on OEM Bridgestones), I will be getting Hankook Ventus V12's. They are considered today's "hot" tire by most European reviewers, and Car And Driver just picked them a close #2 in a tire test (see the Car And Driver web site). I will buy them before their August 31 $50 rebate expires. Hope this helps.
Thanks Notalk. I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you looked into other tires? Our OEM are summer tires and very soft that's why they don't last very long. Performance vs longevity trade-off.

I got my staggered set up for ~600 for all 4. So about 150 each. Half of the cost of our OEM. If you want to calculate it, that MAY be even a cheaper option than to rotate the tires. You'd get new tires with even longer lifespan. There are many choices out there, I went through the research and finally settled with my S-drives.

In any case, I'd much prefer getting different tires but keep the staggered set up for performance purpose, than to change the rear setup.