g37x staggered wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
shnur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question g37x staggered wheels???

anyone planning to run staggered setup on an AWD ???
Is this even an option?
your thoughts?

thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 01:56 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
honestly, people have been running staggered wheels on AWD Sedans w/o issues. it's your car good luck if it breaks
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 AM
xyz
Registered Member

u should not run tires w/ different width on an awd car. If you can make the width of the tire the same and keep the same overall diameter at the same time, then you should be ok .. . . .
Old 07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by da mayor
honestly, people have been running staggered wheels on AWD Sedans w/o issues. it's your car good luck if it breaks
Originally Posted by xyz
u should not run tires w/ different width on an awd car. If you can make the width of the tire the same and keep the same overall diameter at the same time, then you should be ok .. . . .
Kenny is right, there are a few sedans doing this without issue. I am of the belief that it does not matter as long as the rolling diameter of the tires is really close (less than 1% different).

The fact is, the vehicle has no way to determine the width of your tires, and the AWD system does not even kick in until it detects 5% slip between F/R. There is also a 3-axis "G" sensor used as part of the AWD/VDC control, but I just can't see a staggered setup throwing it off that much. You are looking at a slight increase in oversteer with a staggered setup, and it is not going to throw the sensor off by much if at all. The only time I could see it making a difference is at the extreme limits (not a good time to have a problem), and I doubt there is much that could be done at that point anyway.

So, is it recommended.... No. Are you really going to have a problem.... Not likely.

I'll add this too.... I know there are going to be people that will disagree with the above, and act like it is the worst thing you could do..... You can spare me the argument. Unless you have some technical expertise to backup why it won't work, I don't care; I don't want to hear about a dealer or your buddy that told you it would not work....

The basics of the ATTESA AWD system used on our cars is pretty basic. Each wheel has a speed sensor (in the hub), and as mentioned above there is a 3-axis (X/Y/Z axes) that monitors vehicle control. The AWD system for the most part only uses the wheel speed sensors. The vehicle essentially operates in RWD mode until something around 5% slip is detected between the F/R speed sensors. In extreme cases the 3-axis "G" sensor will affect vehicle control, but more so in an extreme or out-of-control situation. That's it, there is not much else to it. I am quite certain that if you don't do anything too crazy, all will be fine with a staggered setup on an AWD car....
Old 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM
JKashat

As long as the overall diameter of your tires (front to rear) is the same you'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
shnur

Originally Posted by jran76
Kenny is right, there are a few sedans doing this without issue. I am of the belief that it does not matter as long as the rolling diameter of the tires is really close (less than 1% different).

The fact is, the vehicle has no way to determine the width of your tires, and the AWD system does not even kick in until it detects 5% slip between F/R. There is also a 3-axis "G" sensor used as part of the AWD/VDC control, but I just can't see a staggered setup throwing it off that much. You are looking at a slight increase in oversteer with a staggered setup, and it is not going to throw the sensor off by much if at all. The only time I could see it making a difference is at the extreme limits (not a good time to have a problem), and I doubt there is much that could be done at that point anyway.

So, is it recommended.... No. Are you really going to have a problem.... Not likely.

I'll add this too.... I know there are going to be people that will disagree with the above, and act like it is the worst thing you could do..... You can spare me the argument. Unless you have some technical expertise to backup why it won't work, I don't care; I don't want to hear about a dealer or your buddy that told you it would not work....

The basics of the ATTESA AWD system used on our cars is pretty basic. Each wheel has a speed sensor (in the hub), and as mentioned above there is a 3-axis (X/Y/Z axes) that monitors vehicle control. The AWD system for the most part only uses the wheel speed sensors. The vehicle essentially operates in RWD mode until something around 5% slip is detected between the F/R speed sensors. In extreme cases the 3-axis "G" sensor will affect vehicle control, but more so in an extreme or out-of-control situation. That's it, there is not much else to it. I am quite certain that if you don't do anything too crazy, all will be fine with a staggered setup on an AWD car....
what would you call doing something crazy???