Help with affordable aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
For the same reason that most folks who wear sneakers would recommend Nike, Reebok, Puma, Adidas, etc. over some "no name" brand kicks. The off brand shoes still come in the same sizes, cover your feet, and have 2 laces. They are generally made the same way and come in a box. But the similarities might end there. They could be of equal or maybe greater quality, but probably not. They may have been around for a very long time with lots of satisfied consumers, but probably not. The could be really popular and have attractive styling that you just love, but probably not. In the end, it's your decision if you want to wear Payless shoes out on a date while you've got on $300 True Religion jeans and a $700 Versace shirt; if they fit and you like them - go for it. But be aware that they will kind of look out of place and just plain wrong to a lot of folks. That's kind of like putting cheapo wheels on a luxury sport coupe like a G37 to me.
Very true
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the same reason that most folks who wear sneakers would recommend Nike, Reebok, Puma, Adidas, etc. over some "no name" brand kicks. The off brand shoes still come in the same sizes, cover your feet, and have 2 laces. They are generally made the same way and come in a box. But the similarities might end there. They could be of equal or maybe greater quality, but probably not. They may have been around for a very long time with lots of satisfied consumers, but probably not. The could be really popular and have attractive styling that you just love, but probably not. In the end, it's your decision if you want to wear Payless shoes out on a date while you've got on $300 True Religion jeans and a $700 Versace shirt; if they fit and you like them - go for it. But be aware that they will kind of look out of place and just plain wrong to a lot of folks. That's kind of like putting cheapo wheels on a luxury sport coupe like a G37 to me.
me too i paid $1500 for my boss wheels lol
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1500 each? I really hope you are not saying 1500 is alot of a set of wheels
Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

BB can't handle his drink lol
Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm certainly not suggesting that you one buy junk, you should always do you due dilegence and research your choice before plopping you good money down! But there are many decent brands out their without the crazy prices. As for being "cheapo" wheels, the reality is that most wheels in the segment we are talking about are not cheap. For instance the OP $2500 budget is still not cheap compared to having to shoe a Civic. Most brands will do the job being a wheel just fine, the look and finish and quantity produced and difficulty to produce them can drive the number sky high (not to mention the branding), but that doesn't make them necessarily any better than a less epensive wheel, just more exclusive and expensive.

Last edited by last lemming; 06-20-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
LAG37

you shouldn't spend money on cheap rims. very big possibility of them cracking
Old 06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by last lemming
i'm certainly not suggesting that you one buy junk, you should always do you due dilegence and research your choice before plopping you good money down! But there are many decent brands out their without the crazy prices. As for being "cheapo" wheels, the reality is that most wheels in the segment we are talking about are not cheap. For instance the OP $2500 budget is still not cheap compared to having to shoe a Civic. Most brands will do the job being a wheel just fine, the look and finish and quantity produced and difficulty to produce them can drive the number sky high (not to mention the branding), but that doesn't make them necessarily any better than a less epensive wheel, just more exclusive and expensive.
We are pretty much in agreement. You needn't spend $6K on a set of wheels, but don't pay $800 and expect to have a product that's well made or looks good. The main issue I found was getting wheels that fit properly on the Sport G37 without utilizing spacers. I'm sure they are out there but I didn't find any I liked that were under $3600. I got lucky and found a used set that I absolutely loved in perfect condition and that I could afford. Just stay away from the cheaper knockoffs of popular quality wheels that are known to fail.

Kind of like wearing trift store designer clothes I guess.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 PM
HamstersG

Not pushing a brand, but definitely shop around. You can pick up a set of Vossen's and set of Yoko s-Drives for $2,530. You will have to pay for mount, balance as well as TPMS if you don't reuse yours. Shop a bit harder and come up with another $500 and you can find some Volks. I have noticed prices on wheels coming down a bit even on new ones as long as you don't want a brand new design or limited production. Not a lot of people standing around wanting to fork out $5K plus for wheels and tires that depreciate as fast, or faster, than our cars. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by last lemming
Not to be hating on Vossens, but whats everybody's hard on for them. They are just one of hundreds of brands. A rim is rim for the most part, and if they're even just decent quality they will hold up find for everyday use, and if they are lighter than stock then thats better too. Who cares what brand your rim is. I'm not saying Vossens arn't nice, but let's not be overly elitest here. If you like the rim and the fitment is what you are after and name dropping doesn't mean that much to you then go for whatever rim floats your boat. I think the RPM looks good. I've also seen a couple of Axis wheels that look nice.

I mean the reality is if your not showing your car or posting images up for people to comment on nobody is ever gonna know or care what rim is on your ride but you.
IMO, as far as a 1 piece wheel, vossen has the best looking line and are relatively affordable. Also have no fitment issues whatsoever.

Since I switch wheels back and forth in the winter, I didn't want to spend more on on a 3 piece wheel that I can't enjoy year round. I searched through tons of 1 piece wheels that didn't need to be built and were not overly expensive. Vossens stood out by far as the best looking...and no negative feedback

btw I don't consider ~2600 for wheels/tires 'cheap'

maybe for you ballas lol
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM
last lemming

I certainly dont think $2600 is cheap either? I just notice that every time wheels are brought up so is the name Vossen. I just couldn't fiture out why exactly. But after reading several posts I think I have it all sorted out why everybody likes them so much.

Originally Posted by Triple_X
IMO, as far as a 1 piece wheel, vossen has the best looking line and are relatively affordable. Also have no fitment issues whatsoever.

Since I switch wheels back and forth in the winter, I didn't want to spend more on on a 3 piece wheel that I can't enjoy year round. I searched through tons of 1 piece wheels that didn't need to be built and were not overly expensive. Vossens stood out by far as the best looking...and no negative feedback

btw I don't consider ~2600 for wheels/tires 'cheap'

maybe for you ballas lol
Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Triple_X

^^ the cheap comment wasn't directed toward you, my bad should have clarified. But when vossen is mentioned, always have the people calling them cheap wheels.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
last lemming

Yeah, I would call them "less expensive".

I wish I was a "balla" I plot down some cash for some custom HRE's
Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Check out our Upgrade Garage for all of our options.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
First you really need to consider if it is performance your after or looks.

Rims like Vossen & XIX are affordable rims but weight about 2-3lbs each more than the stock 19 sport rims. So if you want lighter rims Id say the Volks would be the direction and yes they are expensive and you can find a used set at around your budget.

Most important thing is fitment! Vossen is popular because of the wheel models like the 083s & 084s, price and large community of owners on the forum.

XIX has a small group of us so far but growing - and I can say they are just as good as the Vossen rims and there is about 5 models that fit the G.

Cast Rims for our cars new are typically between $1,400- $1,800.

Forged will cost more of course... Vossen has introduced forged series now <- all you cast Vossens are MAD! lol!

Truth is man, no one knows what rim brand you have and give a ****! whether it is cast or forged or 3 piece. The only people who care what rims brand or type you have are the ones on this forum... women don't care nor do all the cars that you ride by as your cruising your G for affection!

If it fits and looks good and isn't heavy, who cares!?! No matter what rims you get there will always be somone who dosnt like your rims or style anyways.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
COR Photog

Call Alex at AutoMotoring in Miami

Quick Reply: Help with affordable aftermarket wheels