Broken TPMS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 AM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken TPMS Sensor

Hey guys,

I just upgraded tires, did the plus/zero setup with 245/275's (looks amazing btw). Anyway, I had a local performance shop do the job as well as an alignment. They were VERY careful with the install, took really good care not to scratch any part of the wheel when mounting the tire.

During the install all the TPMS sensors were re-installed properly. Drove away that night, after a short test drive, with no issues. Went home, parked it in the garage, went to work the next day, went to a friends house. All this was a total of MAYBE 30 miles. When I pulled up on my friends drive away, he said he heard a metal clanking noise coming from the rear passenger side. I got out, had him move the car, and I heard it as well. Looked around under the car, in the wheel, on the brakes... nothing stood out. So after all this, I came to the conclusion that it was the TPMS sensor or something rolling around in the wheel.

Took it back to the place, had him pop the wheel off, and sure enough... the TPMS sensor cracked away from the valve stem. It was too late to pick up a new one from Infiniti (parts was closed) so he used an epoxy to stick it back together temporarily until Monday which is when I'll be heading back there to have the new one reinstalled (they're taking care of the part free of charge).

NOW... this was 2 days ago. Today, driving home on the highway... TPMS sensor starts flashing then goes solid. I get off the highway, come to a stop at a gas station, and the light goes away. I start to drive away and AGAIN I hear the clanking noise. The damn thing busted loose again.

My installer is puzzled, I'm puzzled. Anyone has any idea what's causing this?

Again, I'm on stock sport wheels on stock everything. I'm running 275/35/19's in the back and 245/40/19 in the front.

If there is something I should know about that's causing the sensor to break, I want to fix it before he installs this one and it breaks yet again.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
PureNick

no one knows what could of possibly caused this?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Are they new sensors? New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer or they wont register with the car.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
PureNick

Hey Neal,

Thank you for your response. I resolved the problem with the broken TPMS sensor.

Funny enough, if a sensor is BROKEN and rolling around in the wheel... it will transmit a positive reading to the car and it won't throw a light. I found this to be weird.

Anyway, replaced the sensor, went to Infiniti for a reset and everything is set now. The shop took care of the sensor replacement cost as well.

-Nick
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear you got this resolved!