Inside wheel getting "rash" from control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM
pfizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside wheel getting "rash" from control arm?

Anyone else experience their upper control arms rubbing on their wheels?

Could it be because of the drop? Offset? Width of wheel? Bascially the inside lip of my rear wheels need to get refinished. Apparently with the Vossens, when I would make a hard turn the wheel would "get off" the tire and the tire would hit the edge of the arm causing the tire to become weak and explode ( happened twice) . Now with the new 360 set up , which is more aggressive and might be wider (don't have specs), with the drop, is rubbing the arm against the wheel causing a "curb" rash on the wheel.

The rear is now raised since this morning. I am going to black marker the edge of the control arm, to see if the rubbing continues.

This now raises the question. How wide can we really go? is 10.5 the most?

Also and wide, aggressive slammed guys wanna chime in?

I am going to have some pictures for you guys to see.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pfizzle

Could it be because of the drop? Offset? Width of wheel? Bascially the inside lip of my rear wheels need to get refinished. Apparently with the Vossens, when I would make a hard turn the wheel would "get off" the tire and the tire would hit the edge of the arm causing the tire to become weak and explode ( happened twice) . Now with the new 360 set up , which is more aggressive and might be wider (don't have specs), with the drop, is rubbing the arm against the wheel causing a "curb" rash on the wheel.

The rear is now raised since this morning. I am going to black marker the edge of the control arm, to see if the rubbing continues.

that vossen forged guy has 20x11 rear
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sounds like your rear tire width and excessive negative camber exceed the physical limits of what physically fits the car without custom modification of the suspension components. Pics of how your setup looks and what's rubbing would help.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
^what he said.

Prob the amount of neg camber and backspacing of the wheel is whats causing it.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM
pfizzle

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Sounds like your rear tire width and excessive negative camber exceed the physical limits of what physically fits the car without custom modification of the suspension components. Pics of how your setup looks and what's rubbing would help.
I'll have pictures in a few.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:00 PM
pfizzle

Originally Posted by STOOF
^what he said.

Prob the amount of neg camber and backspacing of the wheel is whats causing it.
Right but check out my specs. I raised the car up a little today, so I am going to throw some black marker on there , and see if it continues.
Attached Thumbnails Inside wheel getting "rash" from control arm?-alignment.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
First I have heard of this. I think it was because your car was so dumped in the rear. Probably more than anyone else on here.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Considering your negative camber angle is almost double the upper limit of being in spec, I'd say you've found your culprit.

Have you been eating through tires with almost full tread on the outside edges and bald on the inside edges?

If you adjust it back down the the -2.0 to -2.2 range I bet your problem will disappear.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
pfizzle

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If you adjust it back down the the -2.0 to -2.2 range I bet your problem will disappear.
Well thats the thing, the right side is -2.2 and the left is -3.0 , but sure as **** both wheels are scraped up. And both times the tires blew they were on each side.

Where is VIPG? He blew a tire the same way I did. I wonder if he figured it out.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You might have to do the unthinkable - raise your car back up high enough where it doesn't tear the suspension all to hell when you drive it. Either that or buy new tires all the time.

I didn't think mine was all that low and I put new tires on the rear yesterday. 285/30/20 instead of the 275/30/20 I had before. It rubs on every dip or bump now so I'm taking it up another 3/16" or so to see if that solves it. If not, I'll have to add a little more negative camber but I should have plenty to spare.

How high is your rear measurement from ground to fender?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM
pfizzle

25 3/4" front
24 5/8" rear with the raise.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

25 3/4" front
24 5/8" rear with the raise.
I'd be interested to see if you can make this work. That is crazy low. My front is 26" and I was thinking I may have to raise it when I get wider tires at my next change (245 now, going with 255). I'm 26 1/4" rear and went from 275 to 285 tires and I rub like crazy. Even though I said I wouldn't, I just came in from trimming the fender liner and bracket and I will see if this fixes the issue without resorting to crazy negative camber like you have. I think that will stress the suspension components big time so I'm reluctant to do it. Not to mention eating through tires.

Good luck finding a solution. I kind of think that you are going to have to raise it up.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 PM
pfizzle

Just caught a flat. Grrr... This blows. I just raised it up yesterday. I'll have pics on Monday, the shop forgot to send them.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
DionBlue22

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have a 2011 G37x that I lowered on coilovers. I'm getting a clunking noise in the rear and I have a thin scratch line around the inner side of the rim. Do you have a picture of the control arm of where your rim is touching it. I looked at my control arm, and I cant find where the rim touches it. I dont see any scratch on my control arm, or maybe I didn't look hard enough.