Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM
GreenGoblin
sfl g club president

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto INVO Review

INVO website
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Emicrosite%2Einvo

I am reviewing the Nitto INVO tires, which were used on my daily driven twin turbo 04 G35 coupe. When it comes to performance I will not settle for anything but the best. I have gone through many tire manufacturers in an effort to find a set that offers the best of all worlds. Unfortunately, most of the time, you need to sacrifice road comfort, tread life, noise, etc. for the performance that you desire.

Initial thoughts:

The revolutionary tread design on this tire is astonishing. The different bands of the tire really make it unique. The sleek and uncluttered sidewalls with just the INVO logo look simple yet effective, all of the markings can be read.

Hope for the tires:

1. Surpass all other tires in dry performance
2. Perform well to good in wet conditions (Florida is underwater half of the year)
3. Maintain stability during hard cornering

Findings:

I have really put the Nitto INVO tires to the test. Nitto definitely has a great tire to compete with other premium performance manufacturers. The sacrifice of comfort to performance seems to be very minimal, and to top it off road noise is minimal.

Dry performance straight line:

Holding traction with 400+ hp is not an easy task for any tire. Typically first and second gear has trouble holding traction with out feathering the throttle.

I am pleased to say this is not so in regards to the INVO tire. First gear is never going to have real traction with out going to some form of a racing compound, but second gear chirps instead of the usual screaming. The traction has greatly improved over past tires. I can not wait to get to the drag strip to see how much time I can shave with them.

Dry performance cornering:

The stiffer sidewall construction really helps out here, you do not feel as much of the tire flex as in others. This will greatly improve the corner speeds in which you can push your vehicle. My car also felt more responsive and predictable. Even when the rear end slides, you know what is happening. The contact patch feels very planted, providing very stable traction.

Wet performance:

While it has not rained much in south Florida as of late, but from the little bit that we have had it does not seem to be phasing the performance or braking capabilities of the tire.

Overview and thoughts:

This is the best street tire on the market in my opinion; your sacrifices are minimal to non-existent. The performance that is bundled into them both dry and wet is phenomenal. The comfort and low noise generated is perfect for a daily driven car. The unique tread pattern really sets the tire apart and the performance keeps it on the high pedestal. This will be a tire that I plan on using again and again. Nitto really delivered the whole package with this one.

Danny
Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 PM
w0ady

nice write-up danny. im happy with mine. waiting to see how long they last though.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:45 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I just put these on yesterday, so far so good, I thought the treadwear was a bit higher but I'm hoping they will not get noisy for 8,000-10,000 miles unlike the RE050s.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
get an exhaust then you won't be worrying about their noise haha
Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by w0ady
nice write-up danny. im happy with mine. waiting to see how long they last though.
I'm glad to hear a great deal, if not all, the members who run these tires are happy with them. I as well am curious about the life of these tires, didn't seem to find any specific numbers; like 20,000 miles for example. Only number I found it tread wear; 220.

For those that have this tire, which performance rating do you have; Y or W?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good write up
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
INVO website
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Emicrosite%2Einvo
This is the best street tire on the market in my opinion; your sacrifices are minimal to non-existent. The performance that is bundled into them both dry and wet is phenomenal. The comfort and low noise generated is perfect for a daily driven car. The unique tread pattern really sets the tire apart and the performance keeps it on the high pedestal. This will be a tire that I plan on using again and again. Nitto really delivered the whole package with this one.

Danny
Thanks for the great review Danny, your review was one of a couple that made me decide to go with this tire.

Originally Posted by w0ady
Same here, very happy with mine, just waiting to see how many miles I get. Did anyone find a life expectancy number? (i.e. 25,000 miles)
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

I'm turning my car into Infiniti in about 2.5 months so I will see how much tread I have left and let everyone know. I got about 15,000 out of the Potenzas and has ~5,000 left so I would expect 20,000-25,000 easily. However, they are starting to get noisier on the highway after about 4,500 miles.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
I got about 15,000 out of the Potenzas and has ~5,000 left so I would expect 20,000-25,000 easily.
I'm confused. Are you comparing treadwear ratings from the two tires and making an approximation?

However, they are starting to get noisier on the highway after about 4,500 miles.
How much noisier would you say the INVO's are getting compared to when you first got them? 4,500 miles, that's very early for them to start making noise. How about performance, are they holding up, or is this suffering as well?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
ice350

I had a set and didn't like them.
They were kinda quiet but that changed around 12K miles.
They also don't feel confident in wet weather.
They take time to warm up and feel skittish when cold.
They are pretty thick which helps with durability but you buy low profile tires for a low profile sidewall.
The only positive for me was the cool tread pattern.

If cheap tires are what floats your boat then they are fairly good for the price. DOn't be fooled into thinking these tires are as good as other top quality tires. In my opinion they are just slightly better than the other cheap tires. SInce most people on these car sites spend big bucks on wheels but scrimp on tires, I understand why you all would like the Invo.
I care more about quality tires than wheels because the rubber is what meets the road. For me, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS is the best tire out there. Second would be the Bridgestone 960AS.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
I'm confused. Are you comparing treadwear ratings from the two tires and making an approximation?

How much noisier would you say the INVO's are getting compared to when you first got them? 4,500 miles, that's very early for them to start making noise. How about performance, are they holding up, or is this suffering as well?
Yes, the Potenzas have a lower treadwear so I would assume the INVO's will last ~20% longer. I believe a lot of the noise issue has to do with the car itself and not tires.

Originally Posted by ice350
They are pretty thick which helps with durability but you buy low profile tires for a low profile sidewall.

If cheap tires are what floats your boat then they are fairly good for the price. DOn't be fooled into thinking these tires are as good as other top quality tires. In my opinion they are just slightly better than the other cheap tires. SInce most people on these car sites spend big bucks on wheels but scrimp on tires, I understand why you all would like the Invo.
I care more about quality tires than wheels because the rubber is what meets the road. For me, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS is the best tire out there. Second would be the Bridgestone 960AS.
They weren't exactly cheap ($1130 for all 4) but I wasn't going to spend $350 on a tire just to get 5,000 miles out of them before my lease was over.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the invos put on my GT-30s as soon as I got them last October. The rears were a rubber band 285/25/20 and even after an alignment, they lasted 4,300 miles. Mine is a daily driver and I do push the car hard. I have to agree with ice350 with the "not confident in wet weather", but overall the tire is good. Im stull running the Invo pattern up front (about 13K miles on them now) and I switched to the big Neo Gen's (305/25/20) on the rear which have lasted me about 9K miles...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by ice350

I may not know much about tires, and most likely you may be right about your comments regarding these tires, however, you sound like a d!k who is full of himself by putting down "most people on these car sites." "In my opinion they are just slightly better than the other cheap tires. SInce most people on these car sites spend big bucks on wheels but scrimp on tires, I understand why you all would like the Invo." That's just how you come across to me.

Yes, the Potenzas have a lower treadwear so I would assume the INVO's will last ~20% longer. I believe a lot of the noise issue has to do with the car itself and not tires.

They weren't exactly cheap ($1130 for all 4) but I wasn't going to spend $350 on a tire just to get 5,000 miles out of them before my lease was over.
Thanks for clarifying DiamondGCoupe. Looking forward to your feedback on these tires once you turn your car in.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM
WhiteGhost

Originally Posted by Wezbian
I had the invos put on my GT-30s as soon as I got them last October. The rears were a rubber band 285/25/20 and even after an alignment, they lasted 4,300 miles. Mine is a daily driver and I do push the car hard. I have to agree with ice350 with the "not confident in wet weather", but overall the tire is good. Im stull running the Invo pattern up front (about 13K miles on them now) and I switched to the big Neo Gen's (305/25/20) on the rear which have lasted me about 9K miles...
Wow!! Only 4,300 miles, really hope I get more life from my tires. I push the car hard but only do it once in a while, this is also my daily driver. I hope to get what DiamondGCoupe is predicting.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 AM
mal_TX

Won't buy INVOs again

what drives me crazy the most about the INVO is how sensitive it is to inflation pressure and other mystery variables.

Mine are smooth as glass one day and then vibrating like crazy the next. It seriously drives me batty.

Aside from that, they have soft sidewall, leading to spongy feeling off-center, so-so wet traction, and pretty good dry traction after they bite.

After about 1,000 miles they were average noise. Before that they were amazingly quiet. Now they are average to loud.

I won't be buying these again.

Quick Reply: Nitto INVO Review