Mounting/Balancing custom wheels questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
wipeoutlol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting/Balancing custom wheels questions

I'm trying to get my Volk GT-7 on my car finally and I have a few questions:

1. Rubber or Metal valve stems?

2. Does it matter which shop you go to so they dont scratch your rims? My volks have about 4" lip and I want that b!tch to be spotless. I dont know of any reputable shops so Im just going by tirereack.com recommended installers.

3. Chrome/low profile wheel weights - does this matter at all?

4. $25 mounting/balancing each wheel sound decent?

5. $250 too much for eibach spring install?

6. $70 alignment sound ok? (being done only a few weeks after spring install)

7.I got quotes $105/ea for 245/35 SUNNY brand front and $162/ea 285/30 MENKIN(SP?) rears. Is that suspiciously low price?

8. How much SHOULD it cost me to get them to take the TPMS off my old rims and put them into new ones?

Any helps would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
1. Doesn't matter, metal looks much better IMO.
2. Tell them you are a picky customer and ask them explicitly if they can mount and balance your wheels without putting a single scratch on them. If they cannot commit to that, choose another shop.
3. They type of wheel weight they use for balancing is inconsequential so long as they do it on the inner lip and not on the outside.
4. A little bit high IMO. I wouldn't pay more than $50-$60 if possible.
5. Yes, a little bit high but i paid more than that for my spring install.
6. $70 is fine. My dealership charges $130.
7. Never heard of either one of those. Buy better brand name tires for that price unless you are happy with those.
8. If you are buying tires and getting them mounted at a shop, they shouldn't charge you ANYTHING extra for swapping TPMS.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
xyz
Registered Member

5. $250 too much for eibach spring install? Sounds high to me. Try to target below 200, if not 150 . . .

6. $70 alignment sound ok? (being done only a few weeks after spring install). 70 for regular alignment is fair.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
You can afford Volks, so why settle for unknown brand tires? Spend a little more and get something better, at least Kumhos or Generals. They won't run that much more and you'll get a proven tire.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
You can afford Volks, so why settle for unknown brand tires? Spend a little more and get something better, at least Kumhos or Generals. They won't run that much more and you'll get a proven tire.
My thoughts exactly. Check out General Exclaim UHP. I have them on another car and they are decent cheap tires.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wipeoutlol
I'm trying to get my Volk GT-7 on my car finally and I have a few questions:

1. Rubber or Metal valve stems?

2. Does it matter which shop you go to so they dont scratch your rims? My volks have about 4" lip and I want that b!tch to be spotless. I dont know of any reputable shops so Im just going by tirereack.com recommended installers.

3. Chrome/low profile wheel weights - does this matter at all?

4. $25 mounting/balancing each wheel sound decent?

5. $250 too much for eibach spring install?

6. $70 alignment sound ok? (being done only a few weeks after spring install)

7.I got quotes $105/ea for 245/35 SUNNY brand front and $162/ea 285/30 MENKIN(SP?) rears. Is that suspiciously low price?

8. How much SHOULD it cost me to get them to take the TPMS off my old rims and put them into new ones?

Any helps would be appreciated, thank you.
1- Don't the Volks come with some snazzy medal stems?
2- The wheels with a lip that wide will have to be reverse mounted (face down on the machine) so there is little danger of damage to the wheel while mounting. I would still look for a shop that at lease does run-flats and doesn't have a 17 year old doing the job.
3-Stick on weights mounted behind the face of the wheel.
4- Sounds reasonable considering the wheel sizes, it can take a while to mount these wheels (I must of spent an hour per wheel start to finish)
5- Considering what a b*tch the fronts are $250 sounds reasonable.
6-Standard
7- Never heard of them, like others said if you've got the scratch for Volks it's a bit tacky to skimp on the rubber.
8-If you absolutely had to pay, $10-15 per wheel to break down the bead and remove the TPMS.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 PM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
as for tires, try to stick with brand name such as falken, toyo, yokohama, etc. i have pirelli p-zero and i love em
Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'll only answer some of ur q's

2) I suggest going to a shop that works with a lot of custom wheels. They should know what they are doing. Do not go to just any tire shop where a soccer mom would go if she had a flat on her minivan.

4) $25 per wheel sounds decent. I paid $30/wheel for mine last week.

5) It depends on where you go. A dealership would charge you about that much. Maybe less with outside shops.

7) Dude, if the tires are for your Volks, invest in some quality tires. I've never heard of Sunny or MENKIN tires Sounds like China made. No offense to the Chinese. I suggest Falken 452, Yokohama S.Drives, or Nitto NT555. Best tires for the money IMO. Expect to shell out $150-$200 per tire, depending on the size.

8) They shouldn't charge you to have the TPMS transferred to your new wheels. It should be part of the mount and balance price.

Good luck and post pics when your done.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
wipeoutlol

Thanks for the responses guys... I know I'm going cheap on the tires but I spent every last penny on the Volks and trying to get tires while trying to get a drop done at the same time... I guess the drop can wait until later.

Another question... Is it bad to mix front and rear tire brands? After all your inputs, thinking of getting Falken 452 fronts and Yokohama rears.

And yes, I'll post pics, but after the drop. Since I know itll look like half crap without a drop :P

Thanks again
Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wipeoutlol
thanks for the responses guys... I know i'm going cheap on the tires but i spent every last penny on the volks and trying to get tires while trying to get a drop done at the same time... I guess the drop can wait until later.

Another question... Is it bad to mix front and rear tire brands? After all your inputs, thinking of getting falken 452 fronts and yokohama rears.

And yes, i'll post pics, but after the drop. Since i know itll look like half crap without a drop

thanks again
do not mix brands