Help For those of you who have 10.5 wheels in the rear . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Status Elite
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, I chose the 245/285 combo, because I wanted more traction in the rear with 285's. I didnt want 255's in the front because it would have more understeer. But after adding wheels and suspension to lower the car's center of gravity, I noticed a tremendous difference. The car now feels much more solid and planted to the ground. I can sacrifice a little rubber for a little more bling afterall its got it's luxury side to the car also.

IMO, 245/275 combo is the best all around because you already gain a significant amount of tread that you would not need to push it more. Majority of the members will lower their car after getting wheels which make the car handle better and is more planted.

With this much traction, the car takes turns much more confidently, I notice much more traction and its more stable around the turn. With a new wheel and tire combo similar to my sizes, its not as easy to go dumbo sliding around turns because of the extra traction. You just need your foot planted, counter steer, and feather cautiously. As you let off the accelerator, the car instantly catches traction.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
pfizzle

I am running.

245/30/20f
285/25/20r

No rubbing issues, and I'm slammed on KW.

Kevin pretty much nailed it on the traction point of view. Don't you just love the feeling hitting a turn with confidence.

-Patrick
Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Status Elite
Former Sponsor

Post some pics Pfizzle!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Thanks Kevin and Patrick.

Patrick, do you have rear camber-kit w/ your KW?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I got alignment on Sarurday. I found a shop with a great ASE certified tehnician who dialed alignment in like I wanted it and took time to get it precisely right. I am dropped on Tanabe (1" F/.8" R) and currently running 9.5" 245 F/ 10.5" 275 R. Alignment is -1.1 camber, +5.0 caster, +.04 toe in front; -1.2 camber, +.08 toe rear. It feel rock solid. I have a rear camber kit and F&R Hotchkis sways.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
pfizzle

Originally Posted by xyz
Thanks Kevin and Patrick.

Patrick, do you have rear camber-kit w/ your KW?

Yeah, I am running SPC rear camber. I need to get it realigned however. The shop that aligned it sucks. -3.0 camber FTL

Oh, I'll have some pictures soon, I am waiting ona photo shoot!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Status Elite
Former Sponsor

Damn Pfizzle! -3.0 camber in the rear! Get that re-aligned! before you eat up your tires REALLY fast. I believe Wheel Works offer free alignment warrenty for one year after your first alignment with them. It might be a good option for those who dont install their camber kit, and decide to later.

I do not have a rear camber kit, but I am my own tech so i'll see what I can do with factory adjustments this week and I post them up for you all to check out!

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 PM
xyz
Registered Member

Thanks you guys for the replies again.

Hey BB,

Thanks for the exact specs you posted. Can you share the reasoning you have for going for those exact numbers?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I got alignment on Sarurday. I found a shop with a great ASE certified tehnician who dialed alignment in like I wanted it and took time to get it precisely right. I am dropped on Tanabe (1" F/.8" R) and currently running 9.5" 245 F/ 10.5" 275 R. Alignment is -1.1 camber, +5.0 caster, +.04 toe in front; -1.2 camber, +.08 toe rear. It feel rock solid. I have a rear camber kit and F&R Hotchkis sways.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
pfizzle

We'll I took my car to another shop and no bite. Same specs. I guess -3.0 camber FTW!!!

Camera phone pics... I'll have better ones really soon..

Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 PM
xyz
Registered Member

clean car . . . looks nice . . . and yea, ur car is slammed, lol . . .
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by xyz
Thanks you guys for the replies again.

Hey BB,

Thanks for the exact specs you posted. Can you share the reasoning you have for going for those exact numbers?
It's very close to spec and won't eat my tires up. I had him align it that way and road test it to see if I liked it. If not he'd have adjusted some more. A tiny bit more negative camber than spec in the rear is to maintain high speed cornering stability and accommodate wide rear tires. The toe numbers were to maintain straight line stability. The numbers are based on what factory specs are, plus some guesswork on my my part based on the little I know about suspension setups. I'm testing it out and seeing where I'd like to make adjustments for next time if any. I found I don't need a front camber kit with a 1" drop.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Tks BB, for your feedback and reasoning.

Just for reference, for those who might be interested, my eibach drop alignment results as follows:

Front
Camber: -1.5
Caster: 5.2
Toe 0.4

Rear
Camber: -1.6
Toe: 0.10

So it seems like if BB would dare to try 285s in the rear, I should be fine too (given that we ahve the same rear drop, and i have even more neg camber than him).

Thanks again guys for all of your feedback.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by xyz
Tks BB, for your feedback and reasoning.

Just for reference, for those who might be interested, my eibach drop alignment results as follows:

Front
Camber: -1.5
Caster: 5.2
Toe 0.4

Rear
Camber: -1.6
Toe: 0.10

So it seems like if BB would dare to try 285s in the rear, I should be fine too (given that we ahve the same rear drop, and i have even more neg camber than him).

Thanks again guys for all of your feedback.
Did you want that much negative camber and positive toe or is that just as close as they could get? did you install a rear camber kit?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Did you want that much negative camber and positive toe or is that just as close as they could get? did you install a rear camber kit?
It was as close as they could get . . . or so they said. Yea, i have the rear camber kit on. But as far I can tell, they made improvement on the rear, and were in the infiniti spec after the alignment. Something wrong?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by xyz
It was as close as they could get . . . or so they said. Yea, i have the rear camber kit on. But as far I can tell, they made improvement on the rear, and were in the infiniti spec after the alignment. Something wrong?
Nothing wrong, you should be fine. Just curious as to other peoples' setups.

They could get it dead on in the rear with that camber kit if they know how to adjust it. Maximum negative camber spec per Infiniti is -1.1. I can't see that you'd have any problems like you have it, will probably have better stability through the middle of turns.

Quick Reply: Help For those of you who have 10.5 wheels in the rear . . .