going from 225/245 to 245/275 on stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
going from 225/245 to 245/275 on stock rims

now this was posted here befor and most you guys said that its possiable ! now what i dont get is how do u put a 10 inch tire in width to a rim thats only 9 inches wide or am i missing out on something here ?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
because you are going with a lower side profile. by going from a 225/45 to 245/40 in the front and 245/40 to 275/35 in the front you are still keeping the same overall tire diameter while getting about 1" more width. you can play around with size calculators like this one to see the exact numbers:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

just remember you want to stay within 3% of your original size and these sizes are still within about 1% so you're golden.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
elite

^ what he said
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
xcess torq

I believe one possible downside is that you are going to get alot more side to side play in the sidewall. Meaning going down the street in a straight line you will not notice much difference, but put it on an autocross track and you will notice more "give" (can't think of the right term here) in the corners. I agree that a reduction in profile will help, but I can't see how this is "free" with regards to handling. My whole discussion is based on a tire recommended for 10" wide rims going on a 9" rim.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
It is possible. I have it on my rims. Just go with a tire with a strong side wall
Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
At tirerack.com one of the optional plus zero sizes recommended for our cars is shown here. Make your own decision. A given tire width can fit a range of wheels widths safely. The shorter sidewall will actually flex less than a taller OEM aspect ratio tire. I don't understand why you'd think a shorter sidewall will have more flex xcess torq.

Maybe any of the numerous members here who've put the rear tires on the front wheels and put 275/35 on the rear can share any negatives they've experienced. I haven't heard of any yet.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 AM
xcess torq

Originally Posted by Black Betty
At tirerack.com one of the optional plus zero sizes recommended for our cars is shown here. Make your own decision. A given tire width can fit a range of wheels widths safely. The shorter sidewall will actually flex less than a taller OEM aspect ratio tire. I don't understand why you'd think a shorter sidewall will have more flex xcess torq.

Maybe any of the numerous members here who've put the rear tires on the front wheels and put 275/35 on the rear can share any negatives they've experienced. I haven't heard of any yet.
I have not researched the tire sizes in question. My only point is that if a tire is say recommended for 10-11 rims yet you put it on a 9 you may have some handling changes. If a tire size is recommended for 9-10 then I would not disagree. A phone call with the tire rack guys may be the best bet on just how far you can go up in size per a OEM wheel width.

I will be interested as well since eventually I will need tires.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
sahiwal007

285's in the rear are possible
Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
KAHBOOM

Keep in mind guys that the same aspect ratio of tire as our stock tire was used on the G35 coupe with an even slimmer rim. It handled just fine. Going to a 245/275 set up actually puts the tire width to rim width ratio closer to where it was on that car and many other performance cars as well. As long as you are properly inflated and have a propper performance sidewall and don't go too too wide, then you should be fine without overpowering your sidewall. In my opinion I think that the stock tires were just a tad bit undersized for this car/ rim. I can certainly tell a difference in handling with the new size tires. However it is for the better. Turn in at low speeds feels about the same. But throttle steering is more effective now than it was before. I haven't experienced as much understeer as well. The car doesn't handle as "heavy" at higher speed cornering as it did before. It just feels like it's gripping more. Once the tires are broken in fuly and the slippery gook from the factory has worn off, it will handle that much better.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:26 PM
w0ady

wider = better! i understand your concerns about these tires but the fact that numerous owners have swapped with no downside, not to mention the calculations and seeing that these sizes are indeed recommended for our stock sizes make it a simple choice.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I agree. It is a simple choice to go "Plus Zero".

But, please, help me out here. Why am I the only one who doesn't trust Infiniti to not use the Plus Zero tire sizing as a way to get out of warranty coverage on suspension, brakes, etc.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
KAHBOOM

They would have to prove that the tires caused the problem with the suspension in order to void warranty coverage. To that I would say good luck convincing any reasonable court that tires caused suspension problems.

A reasonable dealer is not going to even consider that in my opinion. Keep in mind that a voided warranty does not benefit the dealer. They get paid for warranty items- although I beleive that it is at a slightly different rate. If they go claiming that your warranty is void for things like this they know that they will run off customers.
But again I can't imagine that there is any way that increasing the width of your tire 2 or 3 centimeters is going to cause suspension problems thus voiding the warranty on the suspension.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
w0ady

Originally Posted by notalk

But, please, help me out here. Why am I the only one who doesn't trust Infiniti to not use the Plus Zero tire sizing as a way to get out of warranty coverage on suspension, brakes, etc.
wider tires = heavier but from an engineering standpoint, all parts should be designed with at least a 50% buffer for excess stress. the difference in tire weights is nowhere near that. but it really just comes down to how much of a pain your dealership is.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
marsb007

Originally Posted by notalk

This argument would apply to any non-OEM equipment. Theoretically they can say that because you didn't use the OEM Bridgestones, you voided your warranty. Everyone knows that every tire has different tread patterns, wear, etc., and as such, the argument would be they change the overall dynamics of the vehicle from what Infiniti intended...

People that change rims/tire sizes would be screwed regardless of keeping the OEM tire sizes or changing to bigger rims, etc.

Remember, the test is not necessarily whether something is possible to occur (as most things are possible), but whether they were probable. Although changing tire sizes possibly does something to the brakes, suspension, etc., it is not probable, it it would be for them to prove this before denying any repairs.

If you're giving it this much thought, I suggest you stick with the stock sizes. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
DrJones

Today I ordered 285/35/19 for my rear.... will arrive on the 23rd!! woot!

Quick Reply: going from 225/245 to 245/275 on stock rims