Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lock your wheels

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_ne...ry/690239.html
Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 AM
nogoodname
Banned

Thieves target sets of Nissan tires
Expert says the units containing sensors and aluminum wheels are likely being sold online.
By Nancy ****
nwang@charlotteobserver.com

University City police have reported four cases of tire thefts in the past two weeks. In all four cases, the cars were Nissans parked in driveways of residential communities near Back Creek Church and Harris Houston roads.

The thefts all took place at night, and the owners discovered their cars stripped of their tires and propped on milk crates in the morning. Three of the four cases involved 2008 Nissans and the fourth was a 2005 model.

No similar incidents have been reported to police in the surrounding divisions.

Newer Nissan cars are most likely the target because the majority of the newer makes have aluminum wheels. The total value of each unit is valued at $1,200, with its wheel, tire, lug nuts, center caps and tire pressure sensor capable of being sold separately.

When compared to a steel wheel with a standard hubcap, worth less than $400, aluminum wheels can be more than three times as valuable.

The cost for victims, or their insurance companies, to replace all four tires may be as much as $5,000.

These events come in the wake of a spike in thefts of catalytic converters, sold to scrap yards for their platinum parts, and an increase in cut fuel lines in the past month.

Catalytic converters and fuel can be sold for a good profit, with platinum valued at $1,000 per ounce at scrap yards and fuel pushing $4 per gallon. But these wheels – police, scrap yard workers and Nissan mechanics say – may be more trouble than they're worth.

“If the thieves scrapped the wheels, they would get about $10 per wheel,” said Joey Seay, a parts counterman at East Charlotte Nissan. “And even then, they would have to remove the tires, the lug nuts and everything else before they could go to a scrap yard.”

Additionally, state laws require scrap yards to collect proper identification before buying any parts, which makes it even harder for thieves to make a profit from scrapping.

Citing these obstacles, Tim Weaver, the account executive for Charlotte scrap yard Southern Resources, speculates that the thieves are probably selling the intact tires online.

“I know people who are willing to buy a good set of tires for up to $1,500,” Weaver said. “That's probably what's actually going on.”

Without any identification codes attached to the tires, police are having a hard time tracking down the thieves. Capt. Freda Lester of the University City police division advises residents to use tire locks and keep outside house lights on at night so that the criminals aren't shielded by darkness.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
f*cking thieves...
Old 06-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Very easy to steal, even if you have wheel locks.

My suggestion is to keep your G in the garage if you have one. If not, have an alarm with tilt sensors.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:37 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who will buy nissan tires for 1500?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
PhukenA

Originally Posted by Blackjack
I would say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Very easy to steal, even if you have wheel locks.

My suggestion is to keep your G in the garage if you have one. If not, have an alarm with tilt sensors.
I was under the impression that the stock alarm has tilt sensors. Im assuming that this isn't the case than?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhukenA
I was under the impression that the stock alarm has tilt sensors. Im assuming that this isn't the case than?
Stock Alarm??? The stock alarm is a joke. Basically all it does it go off if the door is opened from the while the car is locked or intelligent key not around.

That's about it.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Ask PMS how well the stock alarm worked for her... We'll put it this way... She now has a top of the line aftermarket Viper alarm.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:10 PM
GiGGaplease

Ask PMS how well the stock alarm worked for her... We'll put it this way... She now has a top of the line aftermarket Viper alarm.
dang, i need one. how much did she brought it for? 500? 500 is going to well invested, imo.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
prutkows

arent viper alarms upwards of $800?
Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Achilles

Originally Posted by prutkows
arent viper alarms upwards of $800?
Depends on the model of Viper alarm and which add-ons you place on it (remote start, car-jacker, windows roll up AND down option, etc.)

I've used Vipers for many years, always had the remote start feature that has a very big range. The most I've ever paid was about 499?? However, that included install, warranty, remote start and auto door locks and auto trunk. Clifford Alarms were also a good buy back in the day, not sure about today though......
The Viper I have now is on it's second vehicle. It's lasted a long time for me and it's definitely an investment worth while for me.

Last edited by Achilles; 06-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Pms1212

Yup just ask me.... The stock alarm is a joke. Put the viper alarm in right after my rims and tires were back on.

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
dang, i need one. how much did she brought it for? 500? 500 is going to well invested, imo.
I got a good deal for the alarm. $400.00.

Originally Posted by Achilles
Depends on the model of Viper alarm and which add-ons you place on it (remote start, car-jacker, windows roll up AND down option, etc.)

I've used Vipers for many years, always had the remote start feature that has a very big range. The most I've ever paid was about 499?? However, that included install, warranty, remote start and auto door locks and auto trunk. Clifford Alarms were also a good buy back in the day, not sure about today though......
The Viper I have now is on it's second vehicle. It's lasted a long time for me and it's definitely an investment worth while for me.
Didn't get remote start due to 6MT. The price state above included everything you stated plus the tech had to run a separate wire from the battery using some type of choke capacitor, the power can only feed out won't feed back in. The alarm is a motion/vibration/tilting sensors.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

^^ Didn't mean to bring back bad memories, PMS, but I knew your situation was evidence that the stock alarm is a FAIL!

Thanks for posting up your thoughts.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:54 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't like the fact you'll have to carry another remote for the alarm. Or can this be integrated into the stock keyfob?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
GiGGaplease

pms, if you do not mind me asking, which viper did you get? i have no clue which would be good.

Quick Reply: lock your wheels