Aftermarket TPMS Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket TPMS Sensors?

All:

I've been vigorously reading forums and searching the internet, I've been bugging the hell out of Sharif too.

I'm extremely interested in giving Sharif some business and getting some 19" Volk GT-Ms but I really don't want to deal with that stupid light being on. Does anyone have any information that can help me (and Sharif) out about getting some aftermarket (or even a different auto manufacturers) sensors that will work?

Sharif is making a few calls for me today but I thought I'd put a post out here to see if anyone has any info.

So far what i've learned is that the TPMS on the G37 is a side mounted valve and since the Volks typically come with a center mount, this will not be compatible with the G37 TPMS. The new GT30's have a second hole in the side wall of the rim to make them "compatible" and thus the reason they would work.

I like the GT30's but don't want to have to buy new rims AND tires and I like the look of the GTMs over the GT30's...this is such a mind-numing experience because I really want these rims, but I'm torn.

Any comment/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And special thanks to Sharif for all the work he's already done for me and being really cool on the phone. He actually spent time talking to me and making a phone call or two AFTER HOURS while he was unpacking the GT30 shipment! Man I would love to do business with you!!

Anthony
Old 04-18-2008, 06:08 PM
rrrevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.tirerack.com

I'm sure that you can by the sensors form them that they supply that they use for tire kits made for the G37.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I suggest you get the wheels you want and either find different sensors or deal with the little"!" being on all the time or pull the fuse for it and do what we did back before TPS and look at your tires and if they feel weird, check them. Sensors are ghey.

I say this because just now as you post this I realize that the extra set of sensors I bought are not going to work on my Mayas either. Guess I will be taking my own advice. Stupid sensors!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
chucky

kidcane, got an idea what fuse to pull? Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^No sorry. I have just been living with the light on. I did see someone posted a link to a site that sells converters for the sensors.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM
OMG37

I was the one that made the other post:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires/180252-tpms-solution.html

The sensor adapters, from what I've learned, are made by iForged. They are currently working on getting the patent approved but after talking with Vince at iForged I'm almost sure these are going to fix my woes regarding the TPMS. I have purchased a set of the TPMS Solution #1 (the brackets) and had them sent to Sharif to test out on a set of Volk rims. If these work, my plans are to order some GT-Ms from him.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Kuz

That light would drive me nuts. The sensors will be coming out!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The decision point here is the Wheels... If that's the set you want, get them. Don't worry about the sensors and the light. You'll forget it was even there.

Get the wheels bro! They are HOT!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Easy fix it to pull the bulb or fuse... if your dead set on the wheels...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 AM
OMG37

Why do that if I can buy some $40 adaptors to fix the problem. I've already order them and Sharif should have them by now and will let me know how they work once he has a chance. I'd like to be the guy who has some GT-Ms with TPMS and no issues, wouldn't you?

Seriously, if you have a similar issue and these adaptors truely work like iForged claims 100% they will, I highly recommend you get them.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG37
Why do that if I can buy some $40 adaptors to fix the problem. I've already order them and Sharif should have them by now and will let me know how they work once he has a chance. I'd like to be the guy who has some GT-Ms with TPMS and no issues, wouldn't you?

Seriously, if you have a similar issue and these adaptors truely work like iForged claims 100% they will, I highly recommend you get them.
Agreed... All I'm saying is don't let the TPMS stop you from getting the weels you love. If it works, that's great, but get the wheels bro! You're doing the right thing by trying.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
sharif@forged
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OMG37

They worked.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
OMG37

Order Inc!! Lol
Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
what do the brackets from iforged, or the kit as you call it, do to allow you to use the TPMS valves? I bought a set of rims, and planned on using my Original valves with the sensor on them. Will I run into any problems? What requires you to use the iforged kit?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:45 AM
OMG37

Originally Posted by AZg37
what do the brackets from iforged, or the kit as you call it, do to allow you to use the TPMS valves? I bought a set of rims, and planned on using my Original valves with the sensor on them. Will I run into any problems? What requires you to use the iforged kit?
Here is the website: http://tpmssolution.com/

TPMS Solution #1 is what I ordered. The deal with G37 TPMS sensor(s) is they (and the valve stem) are mounted in the side wall of the rim, so they are fixed at an angle in the stock configuration. The Volks have a center mounted valve stem hole which won't work for the sensors for a couple reasons:

1. The sensor would stick straight out from the rim and potentionally (most likely) get damaged when you go over a bump or something.

2. They are not made to be vertically afixed to the rim; they are made to be at an angle.

The reason the Volk GT-30's are "TPMS compatible" is because Volk drilled a 2nd hole in the rim in the location where the stock valve/TMPS sensor is located (rim has two holes). You put the TPMS sensor in the side hole, and the valve stem in the center hole. Correct me if I'm wrong on this BlackJack or Sharif since I'm just stating this based on my research and talks with others. GT-Ms only come with a center mount valve stem hole.

So...TPMS Solution #1 is a bracket (adaptor) that you can mount to the center hole which allows a valve stem to go in the hole and then the TPMS sensor placed perpendicular to the valve stem (i.e. mounted similar to the angle of the stock rim). Pretty simple solution to fix the TPMS issue imo and very worth it to pick up a set of these adaptors to not have to deal with any issues, pull any bulbs, rig any special pressurized boxes, etc. that you see other do to get the TPMS light to not come on.

I would suggest to anyone with rims that have a center mounted hole to pick up a set of these to take care of the issue.

Now I get to wait for my rims.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket TPMS Sensors?