Tire and Rim Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 AM
G37MA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire and Rim Protection

Did any of you spring for this? I am thinking about it as an add-on now since my rims are still brand new. It costs $895, I might be able to haggle them, and a new rim is 900 so it sounds worth it to me. Any opinions?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Orbie

I think this is something only the buyer can determine. You have to ask yourself how many times you've curbed your rims before or blown a tire in the past? What is your neighborhood like? lots of contruction or very poor road conditions with lots of potholes? What are the road conditions of your daily commute like? Would you be driving out to areas with poor road quality often (country backroads with cattle guards etc.)?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 AM
IP37

i bought aftermarket wheels & tires and paid $100 for 3-year warranty on the tires
Old 11-08-2007, 12:06 PM
araBONE

I've heard there is some sort of protection plan for aftermarket rims?
Anybody know how expensive is it?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a close look at the exclusions. The package offered by my dealer specifically excluded curbing of rims, it only covers damage caused by road hazards (potholes, etc.).
Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick-L
Take a close look at the exclusions. The package offered by my dealer specifically excluded curbing of rims, it only covers damage caused by road hazards (potholes, etc.).
That sucks... I don't think it is worth is.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
DetroitG37Joe

some odd shaped and deep potholes, depending on size, depth, widith, shape - actually can scratch your rim in the same way it looks when curbed....so u could probably claim a curbed rim as having occured after a bad pothole run in..
Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bro you can have a rim fixed of curb rash from someone taht will come 2 where ur car is for like $50 or so...lol..save urself the gwop and put it towards dsome useful modding!! or slap it in the bank and earn some interest...
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
gurneyeagle

Originally Posted by Blackjack
That sucks... I don't think it is worth is.
Depends on where you drive.

I got the tire/rim protection for $400. I commute across a 24 mile bridge with no shoulder and only 7 crossovers. Get a flat in-between a crossover, and you get to ride the rim for a few miles.

In post-Katrina New Orleans, nails are a fact of life. I know guys who averages three flats a month.

An extreme case? Yes.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:34 PM
patrickm

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Depends on where you drive.

In post-Katrina New Orleans, nails are a fact of life. I know guys who averages three flats a month.

An extreme case? Yes.
I just have to say, d00d that SUCKS.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats dumb. You can always get the city to pay for damage caused by road hazards like pot holes. If it doesn't cover curb rash, I don't see the point in buying the protection package.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 PM
NasaMan

My Lexus dealer promised the world when they offered me this option. "Anything wrong with any one of them, we'll give you NEW ONES. No question asked"......and I got this rims&tires protection package for $200 covered the first 2 years. Now here's the catch:
- Rims: will be covered if it's not drivable. Rashes, scratches, and still maintain air (still in operating condition) will be excluded.
- Tires: will not cover normal tear & wear, any tread wears below 5/32 will be voided. I drive alot so I have to get nailed or pot holed for my first 6 months before my tires wear lowerer than 5/32th of an inch. I got the pot hole once and they replaced with a new tire free. The rest of the problems were voided because the problems were listed in their "the rejection list"
Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got this package not for the rim protection, one because i dont curb my wheels and two i have aftermarkets on the way already. But i have in writing in my saying that any tire i buy no matter where it is bought from or what wheel it is on. as long as it is on my car if something happens to the tire it gets replaced. I get nails a lot so this will save me...
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 AM
qualitywah

this is one of the ways dealerships con consumers into forking over more money. i wouldnt do it.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
my girlfriend has this warranty and its well worth it. it does depend what company your dealership will use. i know it's paid off for one tire already b/c the pothole won against a new tire w/ less than 800 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Tire and Rim Protection