Nitrogen in the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TK5
Seriously guys.

Nitrogen is basically the same as air in almost every way.

They both follow the ideal gas law when water is not involved.
They both have about the same size molecules.
They both have the same mass.
They both might have water vapor in them or might not, it depends on many other factor besides air vs N2
The will leak at about the same rate.

IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE!

I would be happy to talk about it more if anyone says otherwise.
While air is 80ish% nitrogen pure nitrogen will give you less rolling resistance. It is also an noble gas there for it does not react so therefor in a crash where a fire is involved it will not add fuel. Leak rate will be about the same but not really a factor with todays bead rubbers and a high qualty stem. As for Nitrogen water vapor content it ill be very low if not Zero, this depends on the nitrogen source. Nitrogen can be made extracted easily from air so therefor some places will make their own while other can purchase theirs. The purchased air will almost always be drier as the supplier will have standards it must meet.

Last edited by shumby; 11-07-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:20 AM
TK5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
While air is 80ish% nitrogen pure nitrogen will give you less rolling resistance. It is also an noble gas there for it does not react so therefor in a crash where a fire is involved it will not add fuel. Leak rate will be about the same but not really a factor with todays bead rubbers and a high qualty stem. As for Nitrogen water vapor content it ill be very low if not Zero, this depends on the nitrogen source. Nitrogen can be made extracted easily from air so therefor some places will make their own while other can purchase theirs. The purchased air will almost always be drier as the supplier will have standards it must meet.
Less rolling resistance? I don't understand how. The properties are so similar between 80/20 N2/O2 and pure N2 that I can't imagine a difference. As far as the moisture content goes. It is true that bottled gas will most likely have less because it is often extracted during the gathering process but that doesn't matter. It will still act the same.

Sure it won't add o2 to the fire but a wind will add o2 to the fire and do you run with a low gas tank all the time to try and avoid adding fuel to the fire that might happen if you crash.

Maybe I am confused but I can't see it.

Maybe I am just confused but I see no real advantage.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:18 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

I didnt read the whole thread but the little blips I did was a waste of time...

What will nitrogen do for you? Decreases the amount of PSI change from ambient tempreture changes as well as heat from the road... For every roughly 10 degree's F of ambeint tempreture change, your air pressure in your tires (with standard air fill) will change 1PSI... So on a cold morning, you will get a low air warning...

When driving, your tires get quite hot... Your PSI can go from 32 cold to 40 and above when hot... For ever PSI change it is like adding 100lbs more to your spring rates... So going on the freeway with higher PSI from hot tires will make for a harsher ride, and a larger diameter tire since they inflate more which will create more rotational mass and lower gas mileage...

NITROGEN in the tires will decrease the PSI change from Tempreture fluctuation. This will keep a consistant feel to the suspension at all tire tempretures as well as keep your tires at the proper psi at all times...

RIVERSIDE INFINITI has a special on Nitrogen fills as well...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
TK5

The heat capacity of dry air = 29.07 J/Mol-K
Normal air = 29.19
Nitrogen = 29.12

That is a really small difference. I am working on the specific volume of moist air vs dry air.

Is the advantages you are talking about because the gas is nitrogen or because it is dry?

I am still not convinced.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a few psi will change your rotational mass that much at all. I guess I will calculate that after I get the psi change done. Sorry guys, it might not be until the weekend.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

Originally Posted by TK5
The heat capacity of dry air = 29.07 J/Mol-K
Normal air = 29.19
Nitrogen = 29.12

That is a really small difference. I am working on the specific volume of moist air vs dry air.

Is the advantages you are talking about because the gas is nitrogen or because it is dry?

I am still not convinced.

Also, I find it hard to believe that a few psi will change your rotational mass that much at all. I guess I will calculate that after I get the psi change done. Sorry guys, it might not be until the weekend.

I dont know what you are reffering to in the thread...

But when OXYGEN is heated, it expands causing more pressure to build in the tire...

when NITROGEN is heated, it does not expand nearly as much causing the nitrogen in the tire to remain at a constant pressure...

Example... Running my car on streets of willow... Started at 32PSI cold... after a few laps, it got up to 48PSI! With nitrogen, it only went up 2-3 PSI...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
greggv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TK5 if nitrogen and air have the same size molecules, why is it that if you pump pressurized air thru a membrane filter, you get nitrogen out of one side, and the rest out of the other side of the filter? That's exactly what a nitrogen generator does. And identical tires filled with air vs. nitrogen, the nitrogen filled tire will maintain it;s pressure longer.