VPP Purchasing VPP Purchasing

Be careful when using VPP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful when using VPP!!

Be careful when you tell the dealer you are a VPP customer. I just got back to the dealer and they tried to trick me.

The sales manager came out with the price of the car, which was MSRP. I told him I had a VPP claim number and I gave him the number and my business card. He said something like "oh great, you are really going to get a good deal, I'll go check and see how much." He then walked back into his office while I stayed at the salesman's desk. After about 5 minutes he walks out with a print out that listed

MSRP: $43,xxxx (dont remember)
Preferred customer Discount: -$1,500
-------------------------------------
Total Price: $41,xxxx(dont remember)

This of course isnt VPP!!! So I told him to please provide me with his calculation, because this doenst look like VPP to me. He left to his office and about 5 minuts later he comes out and asks me to come to his office to show me something. He says "Just so you dont think I'm lying I want to show you that the VPP system is down," which it was and it didn't look like his fault. So I pulled out my VPP calculation print out and my calculater and did the calculation right in front of him and showed him. He said that looks about right.

This s**t alone probably wouldn't have made me walk out, however this was icing on the cake. Prior to the VPP thing, he tried screwing me on my interest rate. I told the salesman that I needed to qualify for the 3.9% promo rate or I would not buy today. So after they processed my application the sales manager came out and said "congratulations you qualified for the loan and this will be your monthly payments, look good to you?" I looked where his hand was trying to cover and saw 8.9% APR. I told him "sorry, but I got approved for 4.9% from my personal bank and I'll just buy some other time with that since I guess I didn't qualify for the 3.9%." He said "oh, you wanted the 3.9%...you should have said so," he looks and the salesman and says "why didn't you tell me he wanted the 3.9%. Of course you qualify." He draws a line over the 8.9% and writes 3.9%. The salesman looks at the sales manager and says, with and annoyed look, "I did tell you."

S**t like this cost them my business. Before you buy with VPP make sure you see all invoice prices and the proper VPP calculation. Pull out a calculator if you have to.

Be careful!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That is complete bullshyte! Crap like that is what gives all dealers a bad name as a bunch of crooks who will do anything they can to screw every customer they can. Which dealer?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:29 AM
bloodhound

VPP is done over the internet, so he could have disabled is internet connection and made it look down, after all he did go away for "5 mins"
sorry you have to deal with this though...they tried that crap on me 2....
Originally Posted by ohseedee
Be careful when you tell the dealer you are a VPP customer. I just got back to the dealer and they tried to trick me.

The sales manager came out with the price of the car, which was MSRP. I told him I had a VPP claim number and I gave him the number and my business card. He said something like "oh great, you are really going to get a good deal, I'll go check and see how much." He then walked back into his office while I stayed at the salesman's desk. After about 5 minutes he walks out with a print out that listed

MSRP: $43,xxxx (dont remember)
Preferred customer Discount: -$1,500
-------------------------------------
Total Price: $41,xxxx(dont remember)

This of course isnt VPP!!! So I told him to please provide me with his calculation, because this doenst look like VPP to me. He left to his office and about 5 minuts later he comes out and asks me to come to his office to show me something. He says "Just so you dont think I'm lying I want to show you that the VPP system is down," which it was and it didn't look like his fault. So I pulled out my VPP calculation print out and my calculater and did the calculation right in front of him and showed him. He said that looks about right.

This s**t alone probably wouldn't have made me walk out, however this was icing on the cake. Prior to the VPP thing, he tried screwing me on my interest rate. I told the salesman that I needed to qualify for the 3.9% promo rate or I would not buy today. So after they processed my application the sales manager came out and said "congratulations you qualified for the loan and this will be your monthly payments, look good to you?" I looked where his hand was trying to cover and saw 8.9% APR. I told him "sorry, but I got approved for 4.9% from my personal bank and I'll just buy some other time with that since I guess I didn't qualify for the 3.9%." He said "oh, you wanted the 3.9%...you should have said so," he looks and the salesman and says "why didn't you tell me he wanted the 3.9%. Of course you qualify." He draws a line over the 8.9% and writes 3.9%. The salesman looks at the sales manager and says, with and annoyed look, "I did tell you."

S**t like this cost them my business. Before you buy with VPP make sure you see all invoice prices and the proper VPP calculation. Pull out a calculator if you have to.

Be careful!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 AM
G37RacerX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's outrageous!! Which Dealer??
Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Keng

Ya, which dealer in CA?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

It was at Costa Mesa. It sucks because the salesman was a really nice guy and he spent a lot of time with me. The sales manager caused me to walk away. I probably would have still went through with the deal if they gave me 100% of what I wanted for my trade. But I wasn't going to come down on my price for someone who challenges their customers intelligence. I regret not telling him I'm leaving because of his games, instead I just stuck to my asking trade price. He came up $1,200 to only $300 less then what I wanted, but screw it I would rather get less on my trade somewhere else where they treat their customers with respect.

I forgot one more detail...when I complained about the $1500 "preferred customer discount" looking a lot less then it should if it was VPP, he said "this is southern California, you will be the only one getting $1500 under MSRP, when everyone is paying MSRP." WTF...I have VPP, why would I settle for less then half my discount!!!

I initially didn’t want to post the dealers name. I’ve been to that dealer one other time to test drive. Both salesmen I dealt with were very nice, helpful, and considerate. I probably wouldn’t buy a car from them in the future; however you might have a different experience. I don’t want to hurt their business. I just think people should be aware that these kinds of things occur and to watch out.

Last edited by ohseedee; 11-11-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bloodhound
VPP is done over the internet, so he could have disabled is internet connection and made it look down, after all he did go away for "5 mins"
sorry you have to deal with this though...they tried that crap on me 2....
I think the VPP site was truly down. He showed me the site and at a certain point the page displayed some server generated error message. And he agreed to give me the price with my VPP numbers. I think once he realized I knew what VPP actually was and pulled out my calculator he was done testing me.

...I hope I passed
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow sorry to hear that, stuff like that really gets to me because I had a similar experience with a local dealership too. I'm a relatively young guy so when I walked in, they might've thought that they could pull a fast one on me. But they didn't know that I've done my homework.

Basically they lied to me about the 2.9%APR and told me that I don't qualify with my credit score, which I later confronted with another salesperson because a friend of mine got the word from his sales person that all Infiniti dealerships operate by the same qualification. They also quoted me a higher rate by the same bank. They gave me a rate from my credit union at 6.5% when I had checked on my own with the credit union for 5.6%

it's always fun when dealers try to BS you then you show him the evidence....

About the November APR, you should qualify if your credit score is ~730+
Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 AM
iko

Be careful when buying any large dollar item. VPP or not. Dealerships are in business to make money. You're getting a car that they could easily get a lot more from with someone else off the street. If you feel you've been raked across the coals be sure to give them a low rating on the customer satisfaction survey.

All in all, sounds like a pretty crappy dealership.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just ask to see the VPP print out and very the VIN on the paper. A friend of mine tried to purchase with his VPP and the salesman purposely put in a VIN of another car with an additional package. Then tried the sell him the car without the package at the other price.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 AM
iko

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Just ask to see the VPP print out and very the VIN on the paper. A friend of mine tried to purchase with his VPP and the salesman purposely put in a VIN of another car with an additional package. Then tried the sell him the car without the package at the other price.
Another shady dealer worthy of a poor cust sat survey.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 PM
khoad

As nerdy as this sounds, I plan on bringing my laptop with spreadsheets I made detailing VPP price points comparing MSRP to Invoice, etc, projected car payments per month, repayment ability, etc.

I am a big finance nerd. I mean serious bid'ness.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:08 PM
go4gr8

Just go to Fairfield. You get invoice pricing there!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:32 PM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Well the dealer called me back and offered me a little more for my trade. I told him I had to think about it and I would call him back. He then called me about 3 hours later asking if I made up my mind. I told him the truth and about the games they were playing and that I've decided to go to another dealer. He then called me back a little later offering $250 more on my trade. ...But I couldn't do it because I JUST GOT DONE BUYING MY Black on Black, 5AT, Sport, Premium, Navigation, Splash Guard equipped G37. Finally!!!

South Bay Infiniti gave me the same deal on my trade as Costa Mesa without the games. And of course my VPP pricing.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
south bay infiniti in torrance?

Quick Reply: Be careful when using VPP!!