Infiniti's G37 Coupe gives BMW some competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
loneranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following link is to a video of a new auto review of a red G37 Coupe shown on Northwest Cable News, a cable television station.

http://www.nwcn.com/sharedcontent/Vi...w_infiniti.wmv

Provided below is the expanded version of the text of the video.

02:28 PM PDT on Saturday, August 25, 2007
By TOM VOELK / Special contributor to NWCN

NWCN
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe

Competition is good. If people didn't challenge each other the world would be void of things like the Oreo cookie or Pepsi Cola. Neither of these mainstay products are original. Oreo is a copy of the Hydrox sandwich cookie (true, look it up). Pepsi, of course, was born to go up against Coke. Let’s face it - it's hard to imagine the world without the Joy of Cola.

The auto industry works also works this way. For years the gold standard for great handling sedans and coupes has been the BMW 3 Series. The 3 is a terrific car. Not only is there something magical about it's telepathic handing, it also communicates to the world that you are a connoisseur of automotive excellence. Many have chased Bavaria's benchmark, but none really closed the gap. That was before the new 2008 Infiniti G37 coupe.

For the last few years, Infiniti's first generation G has been the closest rival to the 3. This all-new version is now a serious threat to Bavaria's benchmark. Price and performance have been aligned to the point that anyone looking at the German would be doing themselves a disservice by not test-driving this Infiniti.

The G37 gives enthusiasts what they want in a car. Acceleration? Check. Communicative chassis? Check. A well designed cockpit, cutting edge technology and attractive styling? Check, check and check. The only thing Infiniti is still working on is the instant brand image that the BMW roundel logo provides. Check back in a few years, perhaps?

Starting at around 35 large, there are three models - base, Journey and the Sport model I'm driving. The wheelbase on the FM chassis remains the same as the outgoing model but chassis stiffness is up 36 percent. The G37 Sport runs on 19-inch wheels (base models get 18-inch alloys). Sport brakes are 14-inch discs up front, 13.8-inchers in back. The steering is electric assist, not hydraulic.

This hardware does its job well. The G37 has moves. Not only does it hang on tenaciously in the twisties, the chassis and suspension tuning makes it fun. The steering wheel and terrific seats allow your hands and tush to know just what's going on with the road but the suspension is never harsh. Bend hard into a corner and the G37 holds the line smoothly. The stability control gently and effectively feathers itself in gradually so there's never the feeling that The Hand of God has come in to slap the car in the right direction. Kudos to the Infiniti engineers.

There's a four-wheel steering option available, but I unfortunately ran out of time and couldn't get my hands on the one made available at the launch event. 4WAS, or 4-Wheel Active Steer, is supposed to add stability during quick maneuvers at highway speeds. The 4WAS, which is electric - not a direct mechanical linkage, turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels by up to one degree. I quizzed a fellow writer who drove with the system. He claimed it was difficult to really tell the difference.

If you're wondering how this car gets its name, I'd say the G part (as in Gee Whiz this is fun!) is easy. The 37 refers to the 3.7-liter V6. Producing 330 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque. This is 55 more ponies than last year's car. There's the expected overhead cams and four valves per cylinder plus variable valve timing and variable valve lift (VVEL in Infiniti-speak).

This powerplant sounds good and moves even better. Zero to 60 comes up in 6 seconds flat (my estimate) which is certainly on the, shall we say, brisk side. Choose between a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters. Shove the auto box's console selector to the left and you'll enter mind-reading mode, which through the miracle of computer programming knows when to hold a gear during a hard corner or instantly downshift to pass traffic. It features a rev-matching mode during downshifts for that great "Speed Racer" sound. Unlike many automotive writers, I don't reflexively need a manual transmission for fun. A well done automatic like this one is proof positive self shifters can be a good thing.

Infiniti is more confident about embracing its Japanese origins. Look at the nose. See the Samurai swords in the grille? There's a "washi" rice paper finish on the aluminum interior trim too. The center console is even modeled after a sushi platter. OK, kidding there. I'm just glad to see they've embraced their roots and don't need to ape BMW.

The cabin is a pleasant place to spend time. It follows the same template as big brother M with a controller **** for the data screen mounted on a console-like space. The user interface takes a little while to get used to, but it certainly beats BMW's iDrive. The well bolstered seat cushions adjust for length and the sides move in and out to accommodate both thin and thick torsos. The gauge cluster moves with the motorized tilt and telescoping wheel. Anyone can get comfortable here, especially since there's no fumbling for keys; the 37 features keyless entry and ignition.

Nice touches are Bluetooth connectivity so a driver can concentrate on driving, a dedicated connector specifically for iPods and a Compact Flash port for MP3 tunes to augment the CD player. If you can think of any other ways to listen to music, let me know.

There are belts for two in the back, but make your passengers small. There's very little leg room and even less headroom. Here the BMW coupe does a better job. Move back to the cargo hold and things aren't much better. The trunk is small and shallow. At least the seatbacks fold to expand the space.

So, which is the better car? The Infiniti? The Bimmer? Sorry, my reviews don't work that way. I'm of the firm belief that when vehicles are as close as these two are, the hairs that are being split are of the personal kind. You might prefer one interior over the other. Maybe it comes down to the snarl of the engine. Also, I don't have a 335i Coupe on hand for comparison, so it's difficult to judge.

A criticism I've heard aimed at the new G family is that they look too much like the old ones. Certainly you have to look twice to tell them apart. It's obvious Infiniti wanted to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. Also, while the attractive new G35 sedan and G37 coupe look very similar, they share only one exterior body piece - the door handle.

The Infiniti’s mission is to provide maximum fun and there it delivers. This car will put a grin on your face that will be hard to wipe off when you're inevitably stopped by law enforcement. At its $35 grand entry point, Infiniti's G37 isn't cheap but it's thousands less than a BMW 335i coupe. And that folks, is why competition is good.