TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Took my car to the dealer to try and get a popping sounds coming from

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've found that tapping noises coming from the windshield are usually due to rubber moldings that get tacky depending on the temperature or conditions and it sticks/unsticks to the glass causing the popping sound. This happened on other cars I had as well. The simple solution is to get a can of Silicone spray and hit the bottom of the windshield at the lower cowl molding (the lip of the cowl is rubber) and let the silicone seap between into the cowl. The problem usually doesn't come back.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
BigBad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That "static" noise is probably engine noise or wind noise that you are now hearing louder because whoever installed your new windshield probably left a small gap of sealer near the bottom of the winshield. I've seen it and heard it myself. The only fix is for them to reinstall the windshield.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBad
That "static" noise is probably engine noise or wind noise that you are now hearing louder because whoever installed your new windshield probably left a small gap of sealer near the bottom of the winshield. I've seen it and heard it myself. The only fix is for them to reinstall the windshield.
with how many people are experiencing this I highly doubt this is the answer...that would mean a significant percentage of the Infinitis had windshields installed incorrectly
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Ahujadaddy

^^ the situation that BigBad is referring to above is for someone who already got their windsheild replaced once... not the original from factory. so what many of us think is that when the dealer went to replace it, they didnt do a great job hence the air leak.

i was incredibly worried about getting mine replaced when a rock cracked it, i thought it would never be the same again and that there would be air leaks. however, Royal Auto Glass in my area did a great job and i have no problems with air leaks. the popping noise went away for a little while after my replacment but then returned.

i'll hafta try the suggestions that people in here made about the silicone spray. thanks! i'll try that search you suggested, mid-life
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ah, ok my mistake...thanks for the clarification

yeah using silicone will (in most cases) get rid of that popping from the cowling, it's worth a shot anyways!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM
tmartin316

Could anyone please post a picture of where exactly you spray the silicone?

Also, which silicone products are you guys using/where are you buying it?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Ahujadaddy

^^i was just coming back here to ask the same thing... location. is this at the TOP where the glass meets the black rubber or at the BOTTOM of the windshield where the glass meets the hard rubber/plastic?

pics if possible would def be appreciated... i'm guessing some silicone tube or spray can from Lowes/HD etc? The same kind you would spray on the rails of your windows at home to have them slide easier.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any pics yet?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
james0076ss
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody get this resolved by using silcone? Also where exactly would you apply this, pix? had this problem since the beginning of summer and is progessively getting wrost