TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

TSB - Rattle in Main Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:58 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya i got HFC's on mine and they are replacing my muffler no problems.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 AM
jc562

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i took my car in today i didnt really hear the buzzin only on a cold start and by the time i got to the dealer my car was hot already but i had it all replaced the same day within a couple hours
Old 11-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Infiniti Esc

All dealers know about this problem so if your having this problem then take it in and get it fixed !!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti Esc
All dealers know about this problem so if your having this problem then take it in and get it fixed !!
Knowing about it and fixing it are different issues. I took mine in twice before I could get them to address the issue. I raised hell and took the TSB in with me the second time and they agreed to fix it. The part was of course on back order (which is why I think they were reluctant to address it the first time) so I had to wait a couple of weeks. After they replaced it, I took it off the same day and sold it for $500 and replaced it with Tanabe Medallion. ME = 1, Infiniti = 0!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Infiniti Esc

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Knowing about it and fixing it are different issues. I took mine in twice before I could get them to address the issue. I raised hell and took the TSB in with me the second time and they agreed to fix it. The part was of course on back order (which is why I think they were reluctant to address it the first time) so I had to wait a couple of weeks. After they replaced it, I took it off the same day and sold it for $500 and replaced it with Tanabe Medallion. ME = 1, Infiniti = 0!

Even thou you have taken it off and already sold it....... keep in mind when the Tech goes out to the car and trys to duplicate the "problem" and the said "problem" does not happen/occur then they have to make a decision on whats needs to be done. +1 for you and having an exhaust I'm sure it sounds good !!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Even thou you have taken it off and already sold it....... keep in mind when the Tech goes out to the car and trys to duplicate the "problem" and the said "problem" does not happen/occur then they have to make a decision on whats needs to be done. +1 for you and having an exhaust I'm sure it sounds good !!
Dude, you've heard the rattle. It's loud and undeniable. Trust me when I tell you that it was rattling very loud and they could hear it. I fully understand that if they can't see/hear/duplicate the problem they can't fix it or know what it is, but as you yourself said, dealerships have known of this problem for some time now, some just seemed reluctant to fix it for whatever their reasons.

What's most annoying to most owners is when the service department hears the rattle, acknowledges that they hear it, and then give a customer the BS that "It's normal." It's all good though because they seem to be coming around and fixing it for everyone.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Infiniti Esc

[quote=Black Betty;2469626]Dude, you've heard the rattle. It's loud and undeniable. Trust me when I tell you that it was rattling very loud and they could hear it. I fully understand that if they can't see/hear/duplicate the problem they can't fix it or know what it is, but as you yourself said, dealerships have known of this problem for some time now, some just seemed reluctant to fix it for whatever their reasons.

What's most annoying to most owners is when the service department hears the rattle, acknowledges that they hear it, and then give a customer the BS that "It's normal." It's all good though because they seem to be coming around and fixing it for everyone.[/quote]

You make a valid point. Some dealers are better than others about repairs like that and I hope that those dealers try to make an effort to fix the problem we here and Inf. Esc. will always do our best to fix the problem right the first time.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You make a valid point. Some dealers are better than others about repairs like that and I hope that those dealers try to make an effort to fix the problem we here and Inf. Esc. will always do our best to fix the problem right the first time.
That's why we're glad to have you here. My dealership has usually been pretty good about things. I even got them to install my Berk HFC's that I didn't buy form them because there is a new service writer who's a younger guy and is pretty cool and knowledgeable.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Infiniti Esc

Originally Posted by Black Betty
That's why we're glad to have you here. My dealership has usually been pretty good about things. I even got them to install my Berk HFC's that I didn't buy form them because there is a new service writer who's a younger guy and is pretty cool and knowledgeable.

I hope he helps you with all your needs. If I can do anything for you your welcome to take adrive out here and I can help you out !!! LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
leavemebe

Does anybody know what causes this? I'm on my 2nd muffler already....I drove with the last rattle for 6+ months and it drove me crazy every single day.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leavemebe
Does anybody know what causes this? I'm on my 2nd muffler already....I drove with the last rattle for 6+ months and it drove me crazy every single day.
The internal baffle welds were not strong to hold the baffles in conjunction with the stiffer ride of the G. Most likely, the muffler supplier thought the welds were sufficient, and since stronger welds cost more money, the manufacturer was okay with the less strong welds in order to make more profit. However, when the welds began failing and the baffles began to come apart (the noise you hear is the broken baffle pieces rattling around), it became clear the manufacturer hadn't built the muffler to withstand the stiffer ride of the G (more vibration absorbed by the exhaust) and Infiniti hadn't properly checked the quality control of the supplier's parts.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 AM
leavemebe

Originally Posted by notalk
The internal baffle welds were not strong to hold the baffles in conjunction with the stiffer ride of the G. Most likely, the muffler supplier thought the welds were sufficient, and since stronger welds cost more money, the manufacturer was okay with the less strong welds in order to make more profit. However, when the welds began failing and the baffles began to come apart (the noise you hear is the broken baffle pieces rattling around), it became clear the manufacturer hadn't built the muffler to withstand the stiffer ride of the G (more vibration absorbed by the exhaust) and Infiniti hadn't properly checked the quality control of the supplier's parts.
So is the failure caused by the stiffer ride, the drivetrain shock though the motor to the exhaust manifold, a combination of both or something entirely different?

I think my first one failed within 600 miles... :-/
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Atomic-G

Well, I've just had my rear muffler replaced due to the rattle. The rattle only started about 1 month ago. I had it into the dealer for the passenger side airbag recall and I mentioned it. I told them it only was happening when cold. They couldn't duplicate the rattle of course. I had to leave it overnight and show up the next day to point it out. The service tech agreed immediatley and with the TSB print out in hand from this site there was no further questions. Dealer ordered part and I had it installed today. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brought my car in to Beshoff Infiniti this morning and they fixed it under warranty, quick and painless, no questions asked. Problem totally solved, im very satisfied.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 PM
G-Spot37s

Had mine replaced once....everything was fine until last night.....problem reoccured....appointment to take it in on Wednesday and get a new muffler AGAIN! WTF is wrong with these things?

Quick Reply: TSB - Rattle in Main Muffler