The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

One fob for multiple cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
celltech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One fob for multiple cars?

This is my first post to this excellent forum, as I just entered the world of Infiniti. My girlfriend and I both pulled the trigger and got a pair of M35's....She went for a Serengeti Sand on Wheat/Rosewood base model while I got a Black Obsidian on Stone Sport.

We both love our new cars and continue to discover all the toys they have.

So my 1st question...Can I program her car to accept my fob, and vice versa?

The only downside I can think of is if she wanted to leave her purse in the trunk, then we would need to take her fob off the mass of keys she has

If it can stop raining long enough to clean our babies I will post some pics soon.

Thanks...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Espresso

You guys actually purchased the same car at the same time? I really hope you don't get bored of it together. As for the FOB, why would you want to control two cars with one FOB? What happens if you both park next to each other, pop the trunk on one and end up opening both? Same with the doors and etc. I can see people stealing your stuff real quick just by you leaving stuff unlocked as one car drives away. Simply doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I wanted to add. What if you two broke up? Then you'd be screwed if she can just take stuff from your car using "her" keys.

Last edited by Espresso; 03-30-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
redzzand

^^^ got some good points...

also you should've gotten a coupe to have some sort of difference

differences keep things exciting, IMO
Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM
celltech

Man, I ask for technical information and end up getting the Dr. Phil treatment

Trust me, it is ok. We went from a dented Chevy truck and ragged Toyota Camry to a pair of M's...I think at our age we deserve to be happy with our ride. They are both lease cars as the deal was just too good to pass up. I started off wanting a new G35 Sport, but the M35 price was only $50/month more...I can't pass up such value.

We are still together after 2 1/2 years, and I hope we can both get better M's after the 39 month lease is up.

As for having 1 fob for 2 cars...Yes, using the push-buttons could cause an issue. But so far we never use them. Her keys stay in the purse and mine in the pocket. So I will keep asking, can it be done?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
vick_gandhi

probably not because each fob has different codes
Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM
excluesiveonez

i thought that the cars had different codes, not the fob...

i doubt it can be done tho... i doubt the fob has enough "memory" to store two cars.... UNLESS>.. u can get the cars transmitter copied to the second car.... but theres prolly legal issues behind that... but then again anything can be done for the right $$ cha ching
Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
GreenGoblin
sfl g club president

the fob is flashed with the code that the car transmits so no it can not control two cars at once. But if you had the codes changed on the car then yes I would assume that it could work but then you get into the legal issues and it will unlock and lock both cars at the same time.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:16 PM
vaughn6mt

Originally Posted by celltech
one fob for 2 cars
= a no-no... I understand the convenience of it... but too many chances for an oops...
Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM
BadBoy06

This is my first post to this excellent forum, as I just entered the world of Infiniti. My girlfriend and I both pulled the trigger and got a pair of M35's....She went for a Serengeti Sand on Wheat/Rosewood base model while I got a Black Obsidian on Stone Sport.

The only downside I can think of is if she wanted to leave her purse in the trunk, then we would need to take her fob off the mass of keys she has

If it can stop raining long enough to clean our babies I will post some pics soon.

Thanks...

welcome and congrats..very nice choice btw
Old 04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
celltech

Thanks...I like the color too...

We actually were going to buy '07 G35's, but with the special they had it was cheaper to lease a M than buy a G. I know value when I see it...and the big back seats are really nice.

Back to the technical questions...

I *really* doubt this has anything to do with the fob. The fobs are just glorified, powered RFID's. The slot in the dash allows the car to query the fob for its ID if the battery is dead. In fact, the fobs have to have unique ID's as fob '1' and '2' will allow the power seats to move to your settings.

I believe the car stores the ID's from the fob and determines if it is allowed access. To me the real question is how many fobs can the car remember.

And this makes me wonder is someone can go around with a RFID sniffer looking for your fob, and capture its information. They could then re-transmit to your car and drive way. Unless there is some sort of rolling code, like a garage door opener. Hmmm.....
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Msedanman
O.F. Administrator

Thanks...
Welcome, Celltech, and congrats on both the M's....
As far as I know, you can't program one smart key to be used on 2 cars.

....and the trunk will not close if a key is in the trunk. (nor will the doors. )

Enjoy the new rides.

C.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
cturnbull802

i cant see the value in leasing anything
Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Espresso

We actually were going to buy '07 G35's, but with the special they had it was cheaper to lease a M than buy a G. I know value when I see it...and the big back seats are really nice.
Your logic dumbfounds me. It better be cheaper to lease an M than to buy a $35k+ G but after 36 months, you have nothing to show for it. What's cheaper now, a bus pass or a Schwinn?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
cturnbull802

Originally Posted by Espresso
Your logic dumbfounds me. It better be cheaper to lease an M than to buy a $35k+ G but after 36 months, you have nothing to show for it. What's cheaper now, a bus pass or a Schwinn?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:48 AM
VinNYCG
G SQUAD

Congrats on your purchases...As far the keyfobs, I don't see them or the car being capable of having two programs.

-Vin

Quick Reply: One fob for multiple cars?