I may need to rebuild my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 PM
6MT G-STYLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may need to rebuild my engine...

Alright fellas...my car has been drinking oil the last two weeks like crazy...two weeks back my oil light came on and I put in two quarts of oil...two weeks later yesterday the light came on again...I have read a bunch of posts regarding oil consumption and all that, and my car has been making the same ratling noise...and there have been 03's w the same problem as the rev up motors...my car just started doing this, my oil light has never come on...I have 68000 miles and I bought the car w 48000 miles on it...so I will attribute it to my driving style I guess, I don't beat her to death but I do like to step on it more than your average driver ...I will be having a compression test done this afternoon so I am preparing for the worst...but oh well, I see it as an excuse to beef up the engine...so with that being said what the hell should I get? I saw an HKS piston and connecting rod kit on THMotrsports for $2600...should I go w another brand...any ideas? What kind of power gain should I expect? I will let you guys know the outcome of the compression test later...
Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
priscilla ls1

Your not going to gain any power from a piston and rod upgrade. you might even lose some due to compression.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM
venommaxr33

do you plan on going FI eventually or not? replace the heads, rods, studs, and pistons but if you gonna stay N/A than do a stroker kit. if you don't want to do that, and your still under warranty(if you extended warranty covers it) take it to the dealership and let them start an oil consumption report and geta new motor!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
suicidesam

Originally Posted by venommaxr33
take it to the dealership and let them start an oil consumption report and geta new motor!!!!
yup, i just found out im inline for the another engine...
Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 PM
6MT G-STYLE

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
Your not going to gain any power from a piston and rod upgrade. you might even lose some due to compression.
Really? Not even if they are all nice, pretty and forged?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 PM
6MT G-STYLE

Originally Posted by venommaxr33
do you plan on going FI eventually or not? replace the heads, rods, studs, and pistons but if you gonna stay N/A than do a stroker kit. if you don't want to do that, and your still under warranty(if you extended warranty covers it) take it to the dealership and let them start an oil consumption report and geta new motor!!!!
Stroker hmmm....I have no extended warranty...I did't buy it because I felt that Nissan offered a very superior product...my sisters maxima had 180,000 miles and no problems, no oil leaks or consumption...so I am **** out of luck on that one...and Damn, those stroker kits arent cheap!

Last edited by 6MT G-STYLE; 06-06-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by 6MT G-STYLE
Really? Not even if they are all nice, pretty and forged?
Yup. The only way you can make more power from just upgrading the pistons and rods is if they are much higher compression like 10:1-15:1 even running higher compression like this will be needing much higher octan rating 103-109 to prevent pre-knock/detination but only to gain somthing like 40hp with a good tune. To me not worth it, if you want to get the most out of a VQ without going FI you need to bore out the cylinders and go with a stroker kit. Longer stroke bigger piston equals more power. I did somthing like this with my block went to a 3.7L but you can go much larger all the way up to a 4.2L. But that is a large as you can go because the walls become thin.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
6MT G-STYLE

Damn...honestly I wasnt expecting any major power gains...I was just figuring if I have to get into the engine might as well replace some parts and get a little bit of power out of it...but yeah from reading up on it and your info as well...its just not really worth it...and the cheapest I found a stroker kit was for $4200...
Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 PM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by 6MT G-STYLE
Damn...honestly I wasnt expecting any major power gains...I was just figuring if I have to get into the engine might as well replace some parts and get a little bit of power out of it...but yeah from reading up on it and your info as well...its just not really worth it...and the cheapest I found a stroker kit was for $4200...

Yeah but look at what you are getting for $4200 "reliable power".
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
rob350

If U Have Full Coverage Insurance. Do A Insurance Job... Shhhhhh!!! I Didn't Mean It.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 PM
SKYLINE_GT
Hot, nasty, bad-a** speed

^^I conqure.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
6MT G-STYLE

Just finished doing the engine compression test...and it is not looking as bad as I thought...I'll post more in just a bit...going to review what I found w my buddy...he is the one who rode in the bike to Wing Stop and hung out a while w us at NV, the guy who has the vortech supercharged mustang...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 PM
G Thizzle
$up3rch@rg3d Vq35

Originally Posted by SKYLINE_GT
^^I conqure.

Concur LOL
Old 06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
6MT G-STYLE

Ok here goes...I have no idea what the proper #'ing sequence to the cylinders are but the compression of the two front cylinders (the ones nearest to the radiator) are running a little low...the front pass side is at 120...the drvr side frnt is at 156...the middle drvr side is at 185...we could not read the middle pass side because it was filled about a qtr of the way w oil...the back pass side cylinder was at 185 and the back drvr side cylinder was at 195...my buddy thinks the reason the middle pass side has oil is because I have a valve cover gasket leak...the burning oil thing is a little tricky since only the front two cylinders are running a little low, I am going to first try some BG 44K cleaner into the fuel system...my buddy basically said that the front 2 cylinders could be a little dirty and the BG may be able to clean it out and raise the pressure...I don't have true blow-by...it is possible that the piston rings are slightly worn but I have no smoke coming out of the engine w the oil cap off nor do I have smoke coming out of the exhaust at idle or normal acceleration...either Mon or Fri I will swing by my buddys shop to apply the BG 44K, blow the oil out of the middle pass cylinder to check compression and try to tighten up the valve cover ( which we forgot to do tonight)...may need to replace the gasket...hopefully this will help w my oil consumption...oh my plugs, I will replace them soon...both the front two cylinders looked a little oil fouled and showed signs of possibly burning a little hot...did not check the middle pass side because of the oil...all the other plugs were fine...

Last edited by 6MT G-STYLE; 06-07-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 AM
priscilla ls1

hhmm the compression test is a little odd they should all be around 145-150 you said one is around 120, that sounds like a slightly worn piston ring or a valve is not settling in properly. Also if you have a gasket leak that should be adressed first because oil is getting by somhow to get around your spark plug. Let us know how that cleaning solution works out. Might want to get some injector cleaner of some kind to spray the back of the valves might have some crud on it.

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 06-07-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply: I may need to rebuild my engine...