Supporting Vendors Products and services, available for purchase from registered vendors.

What everyones been waiting for!!! BC Racing Coilovers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^Thats the beauty of coils is that they are adjustable so you may have to set them and test them and repeat over and over till you find the right feel for the track but aI think they are exactly what you want.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Black Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
Still trying to decide on Coilovers. I have heard bad things about coilovers as far as performance. I hear they are good for show but not track because they are hard to set correctly. I have talked to some people here and they say that is not the case. Coilovers replace springs right or am I wrong?

Just trying to get the "full" story before dropping the money.
Who ever told you that coilovers are bad performance wise, is terribly wrong. Anyone who is track driving will choose coilovers over springs ANYday. Springs, you install them, let them settle, and hope for a 1.25" drop, and handle slightly better, if even. Coilovers, fully adjustable, you can lower car till its frame dragging, depending on your spring rates and damper settings you can have that rough track ride, then off the track you can soften up the dampening and go smooth cruising. Springs being better than coilovers is definitly not the case sir. Coilovers replace the shock and spring.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Guy
Who ever told you that coilovers are bad performance wise, is terribly wrong. Anyone who is track driving will choose coilovers over springs ANYday. Springs, you install them, let them settle, and hope for a 1.25" drop, and handle slightly better, if even. Coilovers, fully adjustable, you can lower car till its frame dragging, depending on your spring rates and damper settings you can have that rough track ride, then off the track you can soften up the dampening and go smooth cruising. Springs being better than coilovers is definitly not the case sir. Coilovers replace the shock and spring.
It was on a track site somewhere and a couple other ones. The track site I took note of since they were in business for selling track mods and the other sites where usually forums which of course you take with a grain of salt if you don't know the site and people. I wish I can find the link to the site but that last time I tried I couldn't get it to come up on Google. Well anyways the site said that coilovers are good but only if they are set correctly and since most people cannot set them it is a danger on the track. They said that springs are usually better since they are set at a safe level and not adjustable. They only knocked coilovers due to their adjustablity which they said was good for show cars since you can drop it for the show and then raise it when you leave. I was just worried about the setting on the coilovers as far as getting the correct settings to increase performance without increasing danger. As you probably know I live in Colorado and most the performance shops we have hear SUCK. I still have not found one that I can say I truly trust and know what they say is accurate about installs and mods. I am not saying that coilovers are bad but I have just heard they can be dangerous if not set correctly. Do you by chance send sample setting with the product for the best setting when tracking or such? The setting on the coilover is the only thing I am worried about. If I had the correct setting for each coilover and know that this blah,blah,blah setting is good for the track and this one is good for comfort then I wouldn't see a problem. Was the site wrong in this thinking Black_Guy?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

^^Makes no sense in the springs vs coils argument. If coils "can be dangerous if not set right" then how can every set of springs be safe if they have different rates and different amount of drop? If that was true, there wouild be one set of magic springs that are perfect for every condition.......NOPE!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok,

I think I know where he's coming from, if this doesn't answer the question or enlighten on the subject then I'm as lost on how that sounds as everyone else

Any adjustable damper could be dangerous in a way. Reason being would not be height, but due to the driver skills and settings. Being able to control dampning on given track conditions is great. Many tracks are different, some smoother than others. You dial in to those conditions. On public highways your track for say, vary so much. If for example, if your setting were on full stiff your shock would not be able to absorb inperfections on public highways as it's setting is too stiff. Say you were driving unlawfully at 100 mph on your interstate and hit a dip in the road on the drivers side only. The shock at full stiff would not absorb properly and you most likely would steer left and possibly slam into the divider if you were on the most inside lane. Specially if you weren't expecting it. This is sort of a drastic example, it would take a very inexperienced driver but hey I guess not everyone should be behind the wheel.

I don't suggest doing more then 20 on public roads ( softest to hardest).

Now coilovers will always perform better than any spring on oem shock. Purchasing springs and seperate shock combos could be worse if not matched properly. Coilovers for the most part will be matched properly (spring rate with valving specific). Comparing all these options is like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Black Guy

When I get them on my car ill be rocking 32 all day.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Pete@BC

^^^

I hear you handle yourself well behind the wheel
Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Black Guy

Lol, let me know when you're ready to learn how to handle that G of yours .
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Ok,

I think I know where he's coming from, if this doesn't answer the question or enlighten on the subject then I'm as lost on how that sounds as everyone else

Any adjustable damper could be dangerous in a way. Reason being would not be height, but due to the driver skills and settings. Being able to control dampning on given track conditions is great. Many tracks are different, some smoother than others. You dial in to those conditions. On public highways your track for say, vary so much. If for example, if your setting were on full stiff your shock would not be able to absorb inperfections on public highways as it's setting is too stiff. Say you were driving unlawfully at 100 mph on your interstate and hit a dip in the road on the drivers side only. The shock at full stiff would not absorb properly and you most likely would steer left and possibly slam into the divider if you were on the most inside lane. Specially if you weren't expecting it. This is sort of a drastic example, it would take a very inexperienced driver but hey I guess not everyone should be behind the wheel.

I don't suggest doing more then 20 on public roads ( softest to hardest).

Now coilovers will always perform better than any spring on oem shock. Purchasing springs and seperate shock combos could be worse if not matched properly. Coilovers for the most part will be matched properly (spring rate with valving specific). Comparing all these options is like comparing apples to oranges.
Thanks Pete, that was exactly what they were talking about (dampning). Thank you for the explanation. I know I didn't explain it right in my post. Thanks again. This was a big help.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
UNV-IT46

When I get them on my car ill be rocking 32 all day.
thats the only way to ride on any coils....
Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Lol, let me know when you're ready to learn how to handle that G of yours .
Word! Thats what Im sayin.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212628
Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Black Guy

Originally Posted by solopresident
I sold him his set today =]. He knows why BC owns now.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Black Guy

People to receive the next shipment. Minus 2 other guys. 1 set available. Get your name on the list
1.RacerX
2.Symalik
3.ICU2
5.Quinnyfizzle
1.RacerX
2.Symalik
3.ICU2
4.IANSW
5.Quinnyfizzle
Old 04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Pete@BC

Hey everyone, final update here for the day. It's 5pm and we got a call 15min from the broker. To complicate the matter I get a call this morning from a broker we used in the past to tell me we had a entry coming and he was processing. I call our current broker to find out what in the world is going on. Ends up Fedex had this other broker on file from the past and used him instead of all the paperwork we commensed yesterday. Good news it cleared customs about 20min ago, bad news is the final hard copy doesn't release in 1hr. Being friday they close the doors at 7pm and just isn't enough time to get the paperwork in time and make it out there. I think even if we did, I would have a driver battle a 1hr worth of friday congestion to get there and not even make it back in time to take it personally to UPS as our pickup time is 5pm. For those that have preordered already, please check with your vendor mon afternoon. We will have provided all tracking #'s. I appreciate everyones patience in the matter. Just was unfortunate it didn't all fall into play. So guaranteed to pick up on monday morning and all will ship for 5pm pickup.

Quick Reply: What everyones been waiting for!!! BC Racing Coilovers!!!!