Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Main wiring harness issue - looking for mechanic in Orange County

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM
TheMarcAnderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main wiring harness issue - looking for mechanic in Orange County

Hey guys/gals,

This is my 2nd Infiniti. Had a 2007 G35 Sedan, and now a 2012 G37. A little background on my new 2012 G37 Sedan Journey. Ive had the car for 2 months, bought it from Ebay and the seller was a liar. He said there was no damage, and come to find out it was in a major accident. Good thing about Ebay is that they paid for almost all of the hidden damage to be fixed, EXCEPT for the wiring harness. Which leads to my question.
Ive taken it to the dealer, and independent place who I like called Corner 3 Garage in Lake Forest. Both said that I should consider replacing the main harness, Also, the body shop who fixed all the body damage said the same thing.
My question is - everyone tells me I need to have the main wiring harness replaced, because some of the wires have been damaged and soldered back together (incorrectly) from the accident. The ONLY issue the car has now, is that it idles too fast, and the dealer says that's because some of the wiring is damaged. For some reason, they cant get the idle (when stopped at a light) to idle under 1000RPM, and they say it because of the wiring harness.
Has anyone ever heard of that? If so, and I do need a harness, who would you recommend in Orange County, CA to do the work? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM
UN1263

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question is - everyone tells me I need to have the main wiring harness replaced, because some of the wires have been damaged and soldered back together (incorrectly) from the accident. The ONLY issue the car has now, is that it idles too fast, and the dealer says that's because some of the wiring is damaged. For some reason, they cant get the idle (when stopped at a light) to idle under 1000RPM, and they say it because of the wiring harness.
So some wires have supposedly been soldered back incorrectly, yet the only issue out of the whole entire car is a fast idle? And because it idles fast it needs a complete harness?

I call BS.

If they are able to tell you some wires are soldered wrong, 1.) They can tell you what said wires control and 2.) They in theory could repair/reroute said wires.

Maybe there are some more details I'm missing?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 AM
IsDatiT

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Incorrect voltage / resistance in some components or connectors can lead to one or multiple U1000 CAN Communication codes and can also cause this.

But you need more info, any DTCs stored?

If there is a U1000 code , and since there's been damage to the actual harness, do you think the tech wants to rip open the entire harness and start PIN testing every wire? That may be the reason they are recommending the entire harness.

Plus youll probably end up paying more in labor then the entire engine room harness.

But I do agree you need more info
Have them give you some codes if they have any.
Im pretty sure the Techs at C3Garage aren't idiots.

Best of luck

Last edited by IsDatiT; 11-27-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 PM
TheMarcAnderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far

They (the dealer) tell me that everything is controlled by the engine harness (or as they say, the computer controls everything) that's why they cant get the idle down. The idle is high because of the damage to the harness, and there is not just "one wire" they can fix. It comes in a complete kit, so the entire engine harness needs to be replaced.
But bottom line, they want to replace the main engine wiring harness, and they said that SHOULD do the trick.
Think it could be anything else?