Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Reputable Infiniti Body Shop in LA? or answer about wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
vc128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reputable Infiniti Body Shop in LA? or answer about wind noise

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 G37S Coupe. I got into a little fender bender (with a pole lol) and took it to a local shop that was part of my insurance's network. My passenger door, side mirror, and frame above the window needed to get replaced.

They did a OK job but ran into a few issues. Particularly...
1. Frame above window had a terrible fit (and color, but it comes prepainted). They did some tweaking to make it more flush with the rest of the parts (or made the rest of the parts more flush with it?).

2. THIS IS THE OUTSTANDING ISSUE: I'm hearing wind noise when I drive 50+ mph. Seems to be from the area where the window and side mirror meets.
I already took it back 2 times. First time, they realized they forgot to replaced one of the seals, so they did that and it helped a lot but there's still wind noise. Second time, they said they'd have to look into it some more.

It just seems like they don't have the infiniti or G37 expertise to be able to resolve this quickly. Does anyone know any reputable body shops with infiniti or G37 expertise in Los Angeles (ideally West LA)?

OR

If anyone has other suggestions for what I can try to fix this, that'd be great. I've tried doing the window reset myself and had no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Santa Monica Infiniti has their own body shop and they do GREAT work, not just the cosmetics but the mechanicals as well.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any other recommendations?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
rmfnla

You don't need any others.

I've been using SM Infiniti since even before they were an Infiniti shop and they do it right.

Someone smacked my GLK while it was parked. I took it to an insurance-recommended shop just to go through the process and they gave me a quote.

I then took it to SM Infiniti where they discovered the rear right wheel had been impacted as well, anda suspension member needed replacing, something the insurance shop totally missed.

Now they are an Infiniti shop so they are even better for us G owners!

If you care about your car go to SM Infiniti; it will be worth the extra drive...
Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 PM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Either the window needs to be "reset" to it's factory position (search for the method) or the window actually needs a height adjustment.

I had this issue after my tint job - and the shop somehow misaligned my window. Cost me 1 hour of labour to get it resolved at the dealership, as they have to take the door panel off and fine tune the fitment. GL!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by farmurr
Either the window needs to be "reset" to it's factory position (search for the method) or the window actually needs a height adjustment.

I had this issue after my tint job - and the shop somehow misaligned my window. Cost me 1 hour of labour to get it resolved at the dealership, as they have to take the door panel off and fine tune the fitment. GL!

Always a pain...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Always a pain...
Indeed.

Worst part is that now 6 months later my window is fine but I need a new seal (slight wind noise and a tiny bit of water comes through next to the speaker when i wash my car )
Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by farmurr
Indeed.

Worst part is that now 6 months later my window is fine but I need a new seal (slight wind noise and a tiny bit of water comes through next to the speaker when i wash my car )
And if you don't replace that seal the water will ruin the speaker...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
blindman8858

http://southbaycollisioncenter.com/
Ask for Vic and tell him Kamal with the G37 sent you. I had some body work done there, these guys are good. I get my car detailed from them too. I had an issue with my window and air hiss. They made sure the seal was okay first and foremost and then proceeded to tweak the window alignment until the hissing stopped.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by blindman8858
http://southbaycollisioncenter.com/
Ask for Vic and tell him Kamal with the G37 sent you. I had some body work done there, these guys are good. I get my car detailed from them too. I had an issue with my window and air hiss. They made sure the seal was okay first and foremost and then proceeded to tweak the window alignment until the hissing stopped.

Let's see, should I take my Infiniti to an Infiniti shop or a Ford shop...
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
blindman8858

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Let's see, should I take my Infiniti to an Infiniti shop or a Ford shop...
I am not sure that there is anything super-natural about an infiniti's body that an experienced body shop couldn't handle even if they market themselves as a ford shop. There just so happens to be a huge ford dealership across the street from them so smart of them to advertise that way. And besides the proof is in the pudding....
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM
rmfnla

Originally Posted by blindman8858
I am not sure that there is anything super-natural about an infiniti's body that an experienced body shop couldn't handle even if they market themselves as a ford shop. There just so happens to be a huge ford dealership across the street from them so smart of them to advertise that way. And besides the proof is in the pudding....

You're probably right; a good body man is a good body man, regardless of the car...
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 AM
vc128

Hey guys, thanks for all the recs. I took it to SM Infiniti and they were nice enough to work with my shop (apparently they work with each other often) to look into my wind noise problem.

However, after a few days at the shop where they readjusted the window tilt to have it press closer to the seals, I'm STILL hearing wind noises. They said they're not sure what else they could do.

TBH, I'm pretty frustrated that a reputable (according to yelp and State Farm) shop PLUS an Infiniti dealership couldn't figure this out. I've tried the window reset and it didn't fix the problem either.

I'm tempted to take it to a third shop but my worry is that my insurance wouldn't cover it. I called State Farm and they said that if I take it to another shop (apart from the original one), they'd have to send another State Farm inspector out there to confirm that this issue was indeed part of the same accident/case. If the new shop does the tear down and the SF inspector ends up saying it's NOT part of the same accident/case then I'd have to pay for the tear down myself. I'm not sure how unlucky I'd have to be for that to happen as this is the only accident my car has been in but has anyone had any experience with this and can offer some thoughts/suggestions?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
You really should not have taken it to the shop the insurance recommends. Have the inspector come back out, let him listen to the wind noise and take it to a good reputable shop that you know of, not the "insurance" knows of.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:30 PM
rmfnla

Maybe the noise is coming from somewhere else..?