Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Moving to San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 AM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Moving to San Diego

Hi guys
Due to Job reassignment.I am moving to San Diego this Sep and I am planning on driving from New York to California and would like some advice as to what the best route would be to drive in order that I may stop along the way and see some great historical or interesting sights, Where would there be some great places (not too expensive to stay, hotel/motel etc. I have about 9 days to drive across. plan on 8-10 hours drives at the most per day. so i wanna to make the best trips of it.

Where are the good places to live around San Diego, not too expensive, I dont mind to drive anywhere from 10-25 miles from the Base in San Diego. I plan on renting for the first year. get my feet wet, familer with the area first. looking for a 1 bedroom furniture or without. or buying 2 bedroom Condos. I would love to have a single garage to kept my G.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 123u; 05-10-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
123u

can i get some feedback...input etc... i guess no one from San diego on this forums.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 AM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you being stationed?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
10 -15 miles of within ANY base out here includes pretty much ALL of San Diego man.

Are you looking for somewhere really close to the beach? Or is it not that important to you?

You honestly cant go wrong with about 80% of the neighborhoods out here in San Diego, with the exception being the 'hoods closer to the border, and even those aren't that bad IMO.

You can find 1B/1BA apartments @ $1000 - $1,200 all day depending on where you're looking.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
123u

most likely I'll be on 32nd St Naval Station.

gamedog: i dont mind live close by the beach, probably pay lil more by the waterside. One of the important thing that i'm lookin at its safe,nicer and quite with good neighbors area without being too close to the cities, I dont mind the drive,20/30 min away from work. and major store or shopping center that should close by where i live or i can reach within 10-30 min have everything right there.
1B/1BA apartments @$1000.00-$1200.00 that ain't bad at all consider in San diego.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:02 PM
thejumpoff

$1K-1.2K sounds about right for a studio setup or 1B/1BA.

Coronado is a nice area to live and you're not too far from 32nd. I'd recommend PB or even downtown if you frequent night life. I guess it depends on how close you want to be near the water. There are nicer neighborhoods that are further inland as well (Tierrasanta, Poway, RB, PQ, etc.) Basically anything north of the 8 freeway is a little more "upscale" for SD or you can go as far south as Otay Lakes.

I'm not bashing on certain area's...I just know what area's people consider "hood" in SD since I've lived here all my life.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Borderline-G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey im from South San Diego so i wont know any good places up north, but ther arent any navy bases up north any ways. so these neighborhoods are all south of 32nd base but only 20min or less away, any more south than that youll hit the border LOL.

well if u want good neighborhood heres some suggestions:

•the region around Imperial Beach wouldnt be good. too many "hoodlums" i grew up there.

•Coronado is a crazy safe place (their crime rate is supposedly pretty much 0) but that place is mosty retired old people XD and took quite in my opinion.

•East san diego / Paradise hills. its kidna the opposite of what it sounds. Area is filled with all monorities and not the best income neighborbood, so u know how that would get.

•The Ocean View Hills/Casoleil area is mid-imcome community, but adjacent to the border community of San Ysidro and those who live on Palm Avenue (connects to imperial beach). So there could be some mischeivous kids around. I currently live in this location.

•Best place I know in south san diego is Otay Ranch/East Lake Area. good name for them people who lived there back in high school is "the rich bitches". =D great place to be!

(IM MAINLY basing all this information FOR the sake of your car. im not saying anythign bad about these communities, they are all great and not bad AT ALL (except maybe PH). they are all perfectly safe to live in and im not trying to stereotype any of them. Take my information as u want.)

So MY top suggestion for places in the south region are:
1. Otay Ranch/ East Lake
2. Ocean View Hills/ Casoleil

As for places to visit: Grand Canyon? Las Vegas? i dont travel much......
Old 05-10-2011, 03:12 PM
123u

gamedog/thejumpoff/Borderline-G37/
Thank you very much for the great info man. i got plenty of good resorts now.
I never been to San Diego before, this gonna be very interesting!
I would like to meet some of your folks out there in San Diego, show me around. make some friend.

Thanks alot for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah man PM me when you get out here and we'll meet up and throw back a few. SD has a number of local Micobreweries with some dam good brews
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
123u

Yes Sir, sure will do

I appreciated the warm Welcome.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM
thejumpoff

PH isn't ghetto!!! That was my neighborhood for years

Well the crime rate has fallen around that area significantly but you WILL noticed that around national city is ricer haven.

Seems like you have a good handful of spots to check out when you get here. Feel free to PM me when you come down. I've been looking for more San Diego locals to chill.

Gamedog, you're in SD now? You should hit me up so we can chill bro.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 PM
123u

I am looking forward to meeting you.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:41 PM
MrHimbert
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1k-1.2k for a one bedroom? thats way to damn expensive...i live in a two bedroom 1 bath townhouse and i pay 1295 in mission valley. this area has everything you need within reach and is a nice area.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm in SD too. I live in Crown Point. It is south of Pacific Beach. It is super quiet friendly neighborhood. Tons of good rental options and fun young neighbors. Search it on Craigslist and you will get an idea of what is available.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I am happy to provide more specific feedback or answers to questions. You are gonna love it down here!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
I'm in SD too. I live in Crown Point. It is south of Pacific Beach. It is super quiet friendly neighborhood. Tons of good rental options and fun young neighbors. Search it on Craigslist and you will get an idea of what is available.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I am happy to provide more specific feedback or answers to questions. You are gonna love it down here!

never ever swim in ski beach.. I usually go bay fishing over there for huge HUGE batrays 50-60# in that water , no bs.

Quick Reply: Moving to San Diego