Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Best places to live in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Taktix1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best places to live in SoCal?

Hey everyone,
I recently got approved to telework for my job. I've wanted to move out to CA for a while now and this is my green light to do it. I currently live in the Washington DC metro area. Unfortunately, I've only had the chance to visit LA. I'd like a few ideas on places to research. I guess it'd help if I listed a few things to help narrow it down:

1) I'd like to be near the coast/beach. Or at least in close proximity (less than a 45 min drive maybe)

2) SAFETY. I'd like a place that is really safe.

3) I'd like to live in a city environment or if not, a short drive away.

4) I'm looking for sun year round, so I'm guessing SoCal is where it's at.

Thanks for any help/tips. It's greatly appreciated!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orange COunty, New Port Beach! or Irvine!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by gan78mao
Orange COunty, New Port Beach! or Irvine!
Whats the cost of housing out there? For example, how much would a typical 2 bedroom townhouse run me?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:11 PM
gan78mao

i live in Irvine, a 2bed room 2 bath apartment around 1100 square ft in a nice area gated, fitness center swimming pool very convenient to everywhere u need to go is around 1900, it ranges from around 17 to 2000 depending on are aif they are new or old. ohh and i have my own washer and dryer in my apartment too.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Taktix1

i live in Irvine, a 2bed room 2 bath apartment around 1100 square ft in a nice area gated, fitness center swimming pool very convenient to everywhere u need to go is around 1900, it ranges from around 17 to 2000 depending on are aif they are new or old. ohh and i have my own washer and dryer in my apartment too.
Are there lots of condo complexes? I'm renting now and would rather try to own. Right now I'm in a 2 bed, 1 bath condo that's $1500. Whats a good area of Irvine to look for housing? Whats the closest beach? Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What's your price range?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM
gan78mao

closes beach around irvine would be newport beach, laguna beach, and huntington beach.
newport and laguna is only 10 to 15 min drive. the whole area in irvine is pretty nice. i live in Oak Creek in Irvine. You can look in to West Park, Quail Creek, North Park, Woodbury, and Wood Bridge, those are all irvine areas. Houses here are ridiculous its a cash game here i been looking at houses here and there and its just ridiculous, once its listed they get sold right away. twon houses are around 400k to 500k depending on the year and etc.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Gamedog
What's your price range?
Price range would probably be 300-350k. Although I'm probably not going for another year so it might be higher by then.

closes beach around irvine would be newport beach, laguna beach, and huntington beach.
newport and laguna is only 10 to 15 min drive. the whole area in irvine is pretty nice. i live in Oak Creek in Irvine. You can look in to West Park, Quail Creek, North Park, Woodbury, and Wood Bridge, those are all irvine areas. Houses here are ridiculous its a cash game here i been looking at houses here and there and its just ridiculous, once its listed they get sold right away. twon houses are around 400k to 500k depending on the year and etc.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it right now. I see that the housing prices are really similar to here. 4-500k here would probably get me a 5 yr old town house.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
TJHG37S

Manhatten Beach or Hermosa Beach!!! Forget about Santa Monica or Venice, some areas are dingy and not that safe..

MB or HB is still close enough to LA for music, sports, art, etc
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
ShanesG

with a 3-350k price range you're not gonna find much, even with the housing market as low as it is....
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Typically coastal/safe/nicer areas are all not very cheap. Everyone wants to live there, the climate is too good to be true. Irvine is one of the more expensive cities, I'd say in OC.

Check out:
Santa Monica, Torrance, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Irvine, Newport.

First 4 are coastal cities. I believe you can find a condo in Torrance that's within your price range. What else are you looking for? School district for kids, closeness to night life, down town, bars....etc?

Of all the cities, I'd pick Irvine to have the best neighborhood and safety. But it's a bit further from down town. Second choice would be Torrance.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
Manhatten Beach or Hermosa Beach!!! Forget about Santa Monica or Venice, some areas are dingy and not that safe..

MB or HB is still close enough to LA for music, sports, art, etc
Thanks! I'll look into MB and HB.

Originally Posted by ShanesG
with a 3-350k price range you're not gonna find much, even with the housing market as low as it is....
well as far as TOTAL cost I'm just estimating. For monthly payments I'd like to stay in the $2500 range. That's not doable?

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Typically coastal/safe/nicer areas are all not very cheap. Everyone wants to live there, the climate is too good to be true. Irvine is one of the more expensive cities, I'd say in OC.

Check out:
Santa Monica, Torrance, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Irvine, Newport.

First 4 are coastal cities. I believe you can find a condo in Torrance that's within your price range. What else are you looking for? School district for kids, closeness to night life, down town, bars....etc?

Of all the cities, I'd pick Irvine to have the best neighborhood and safety. But it's a bit further from down town. Second choice would be Torrance.
Thanks for all the tips. I'll def spend some time looking in Torrance, safety is always a concern. As far as night life/bars as long as it's within driving distance I'm fine (< 30 mins?). Not concerned about school district right now as I dont have any kids and dont plan to have any for a little while longer.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
ElLayG37s

it used to be before all the transplants arrived that you could get to the beach inSo Cal in 30min, from anywhere, now with traffic I'd say more like 45-1hour unless you get up early or travel later when traffic has died down. On a weekend around 8-ish I can make it to Santa monica within 30 Min. from Pasadena. A lot of transplants get caught up with the Idea of living right next to the beach when they move to So Cal. I'd go for better neiborhood and home, versus living by the beach. I have a friend who lives in Abbot Kinney (Venice Canal Area) and everyone is stacked on top of each other and pays like 1800 for 1 bedroom, and no backyard or privacy, Lame.
SoCal is Huge! Desert, Ocean, Snow within an hour drive, Ahhhh! were spoiled!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by ElLayG37s
it used to be before all the transplants arrived that you could get to the beach inSo Cal in 30min, from anywhere, now with traffic I'd say more like 45-1hour unless you get up early or travel later when traffic has died down. On a weekend around 8-ish I can make it to Santa monica within 30 Min. from Pasadena. A lot of transplants get caught up with the Idea of living right next to the beach when they move to So Cal. I'd go for better neiborhood and home, versus living by the beach. I have a friend who lives in Abbot Kinney (Venice Canal Area) and everyone is stacked on top of each other and pays like 1800 for 1 bedroom, and no backyard or privacy, Lame.
SoCal is Huge! Desert, Ocean, Snow within an hour drive, Ahhhh! were spoiled!
Well living by the beach isnt a must. I dont mind having to drive to the beach but as long as the weather is nice still. My main concern was just having sunny weather, I dont mind driving to the beach at all. What outlying neighborhoods do you suggest?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM
ElLayG37s

Dude it's rained like a total of maybe 10 days all year? Sunny all the time! Christmas you could probably wear flip flops outside in any So Cal Neiborhood.

I Personaly Have Grown up in Pasadena all my Life so I'm biasd on this but it has History, Prestige, Rose Bowl!, Nightlife, Shopping and Resaurants, Thats why I love Pasadena but some more place like:
Los Feliz, Burbank, Toluca Lake, Newport is nice but Expensive, Irvine I hear is also nice and Safe. Manhattan Beach is Nice. Downtown L.A. is now Cleaner and there is plenty new Housing and Entertainment going up, New Lofts! good deals. Centrally Located, not for a family though IMO.
So. Pasadena Great place for a family to move.
Jump on a google map of L.A. and start checking area's and pricing! Good luck and let us know when you get in town!

Quick Reply: Best places to live in SoCal?