Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Best places to live in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inland is really cheap, you can get a 3k SQFT brand new house like 400k easy in Corona
Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Taktix1

Originally Posted by Gamedog
Sweet! Yeah Riverside is pretty much close to everything out here man. An hour drive up to Big Bear (Great snowboarding in the winter), 40 minutes to the beach (year round), 45 minutes to LA/Hollywood, An hour and a half down to San Diego. Pretty centralized if you ask me But yeah it can get kinda hot here, but living in a nice air conditioned home takes the heat away.

Chase is right, $350K will easily get you a 5 bedroom home. I bought a 3200SF 5 bed, 3 bath home sitting on a half acre for less than that this past December. Not in a gated community but it might as well be. So quiet and all the neighbors are cool as hell.

Can't go wrong in the Inland Empire. Just stay away from the Casa Blanca/Arlanza areas and you'll be straight. Look up Riverside, Corona, Norco, and maybe even Rancho Cucamonga (although that might be more expensive, the city is VERY nice)
Wow. Nice to know. Looks live I've found my area to do heavy research on. Maybe I'll look in your neighborhood Gamedog haha, where are you located at?

Originally Posted by Keng
Inland is really cheap, you can get a 3k SQFT brand new house like 400k easy in Corona
Damn, I didnt know CA could be so affordable...DC housing prices are still REDICULOUS. ..

Anyone have any information on Mission Viejo or Chino Hills?

Last edited by Taktix1; 07-15-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm in the La Sierra Heights/La Sierra Hills area man. Check the Lake Hills/Victoria area too. Pretty nice.

Mission Viejo and Chino Hills are nice as well. $350K won't get you as much as it would get you in the Inland Empire though. I work in Chino Hills and some of the houses out here are pretty nice.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Taktix1
I'm looking to buy, and after some research I see that I probably cant do much more than a condo. I'm thinking it might be better to rent for a while to get a feel for places and then decide to buy later. Excuse my west coast ignorance (I've been on the EC my whole life) but is it smart to live in a high rise condo (because of earthquakes?). I mean I know you guys dont get them that often so am I just worried over nothing?
There’s no good place to hide from earthquakes; it’s a fact of life in Southern California. But any high rise building built since circa 1970 should be perfectly safe.

The real danger is the heart attack one may get as the ground starts to shake or the high rise you’re in starts to sway back and forth. I’ve been through more than my share and have never gotten used to it.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah Chekov's right. He's been through his share. I mean he's old enough to remember "The Big One" that took out the Dinosaurs

Hahaha just messin with ya Chekov
Old 07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
taktix have you checked the map to see where Inland Empire is? Might have to pick between buying an affordable house over being closer to the beach.....

Chino Hills is nice but I'm not sure you want to be in Chino. Mission Viejo is nice too. They're in opposite directions though. Mission Viejo is more south, near Irvine. You can check out Diamond Bar, next to Chino Hills too. Along the west on the 60 from Diamond Bar, it's predominantly Asian.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 PM
ucla bruin

Yeah Chekov's right. He's been through his share. I mean he's old enough to remember "The Big One" that took out the Dinosaurs

Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey, you’re not far from the truth. My house was just 1-1/2 miles away from the epicenter for the 1994 Northridge earthquake. We were literally thrown out of our beds that morning (I thought I was done for) and had to live in an apartment for a week until power and water were restored and our house was “green” tagged. We suffered over $50K in damage that thankfully our earthquake insurance paid for. I would take on any dinosaur rather than go through that again!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Taktix1

I'm in the La Sierra Heights/La Sierra Hills area man. Check the Lake Hills/Victoria area too. Pretty nice.

Mission Viejo and Chino Hills are nice as well. $350K won't get you as much as it would get you in the Inland Empire though. I work in Chino Hills and some of the houses out here are pretty nice.
Thanks for all the great info. I'll keep looking at the Inland Empire and see how much money can get me what kind of place.

Originally Posted by Chekov
There’s no good place to hide from earthquakes; it’s a fact of life in Southern California. But any high rise building built since circa 1970 should be perfectly safe.

The real danger is the heart attack one may get as the ground starts to shake or the high rise you’re in starts to sway back and forth. I’ve been through more than my share and have never gotten used to it.
I can't even imagine that. I doubt I'd be used to that feeling either. Might have to say no to a high rise condo haha.

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
taktix have you checked the map to see where Inland Empire is? Might have to pick between buying an affordable house over being closer to the beach.....

Chino Hills is nice but I'm not sure you want to be in Chino. Mission Viejo is nice too. They're in opposite directions though. Mission Viejo is more south, near Irvine. You can check out Diamond Bar, next to Chino Hills too. Along the west on the 60 from Diamond Bar, it's predominantly Asian.
I've looked at the map, and I know I have named places that seem scattered. The only reason I actually named them is because Mission Viejo, Chino Hills, and Irvine all made the top 15 safest cities in the USA. What makes Chino Hills a place you wouldn't want to be in? Just looking for differing opinions. Mission Viejo seems to be in prime placement although it has to be more expensive than Corona/Riverside. Is Mission Viejo cheaper than Irvine or along the same lines for home prices?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Keng

http://www.zillow.com/

Zillow is great
Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM
LAG37

Santa Monica
Beverly Hills
Westwood
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LAG37
Santa Monica
Beverly Hills
Westwood
okay that was the answer to the question but you missed the rules
Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Thanks for all the great info. I'll keep looking at the Inland Empire and see how much money can get me what kind of place.

I can't even imagine that. I doubt I'd be used to that feeling either. Might have to say no to a high rise condo haha.

I've looked at the map, and I know I have named places that seem scattered. The only reason I actually named them is because Mission Viejo, Chino Hills, and Irvine all made the top 15 safest cities in the USA. What makes Chino Hills a place you wouldn't want to be in? Just looking for differing opinions. Mission Viejo seems to be in prime placement although it has to be more expensive than Corona/Riverside. Is Mission Viejo cheaper than Irvine or along the same lines for home prices?

Sorry, I was confusing. Chino Hills is nice. But I'm not sure the same can be said about Chino, which is adjacent to Chino Hills, but a different city. I'd agree with the 3 you mentioned as good neighborhood to live in.

I think it may be worth a trip to physically visit 2-3 cities you're interested in before buying a place there.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
@ the OP

I'm actively involved in the real estate market, and may be able to guide you in the right direction.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
@ the OP

I'm actively involved in the real estate market, and may be able to guide you in the right direction.
can u give us insights as well? I am thinking of moving to socal or nyc in a year or 2 also. still on the thin line right now. thank you!

Quick Reply: Best places to live in SoCal?