Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

SoCal people with their clutch out rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Blue Slate 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha dam teedo you're fast i barely called you, but to clear things up let me explain it a bit.

My friend has done everything you can imagine to a G35 and 350Z, supercharge, turbo, auto to manual, you name it hes done it.

The rattle comes from the flywheel because it is a 2 piece design. The 2nd piece of the flywheel is what is making the noise. So when the clutch pedal is pushed down the pressure plate will push the two pieces together, therefore eliminating the rattle. Every Z and G he has worked on has had it. So it is normal and has been normal for the past 4-5 years with the Zs and Gs. Research 2 piece flywheels if you want to know more about the design.

You want it gone? Get a one piece flywheel next time you do a clutch job.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well.. i know my 03 Z had it, so I really didn't trip when the G had it.. plus all my friends with G's have it so I always figured it was cool.. I just thought I'd go into the dealership raising hell with the rest of these guys... lol
Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's all go raise hell anyways.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
teedough

Originally Posted by Blue Slate 6MT
haha dam teedo you're fast i barely called you, but to clear things up let me explain it a bit.

My friend has done everything you can imagine to a G35 and 350Z, supercharge, turbo, auto to manual, you name it hes done it.

The rattle comes from the flywheel because it is a 2 piece design. The 2nd piece of the flywheel is what is making the noise. So when the clutch pedal is pushed down the pressure plate will push the two pieces together, therefore eliminating the rattle. Every Z and G he has worked on has had it. So it is normal and has been normal for the past 4-5 years with the Zs and Gs. Research 2 piece flywheels if you want to know more about the design.

I had nothing else to do at work lol thanks for clearing it up! cheers!

Originally Posted by wrathletik1
Let's all go raise hell anyways.
lol
Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
More specifically, the stock flywheel is Dual Mass, which CANCELS OUT the noise. A single mass flywheel will ADD to the noise.

@ teedough, You can give us a call, but I'm not sure exactly what noise you're talking about.

I'll be in rowland heights today if you want to stop by where I'll be and have me check out the noise; I may or may not be able to tell you what it is on the spot.

Otherwise, I'd schedule an appt with us.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:19 AM
teedough

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
More specifically, the stock flywheel is Dual Mass, which CANCELS OUT the noise. A single mass flywheel will ADD to the noise.

@ teedough, You can give us a call, but I'm not sure exactly what noise you're talking about.

I'll be in rowland heights today if you want to stop by where I'll be and have me check out the noise; I may or may not be able to tell you what it is on the spot.

Otherwise, I'd schedule an appt with us.

This is the noise but mine is not as loud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyVqrksCblU
Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 PM
teedough

ITS NORMAL so far
Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by Blue Slate 6MT

Wrong. OEM clutch on G35 and 350Z is, like you said, dual mass clutch. However, the noise is dampened very well.
Although it still emitts the chatter, it's NOWHERE close to the chatter of lightweight, single mass flywheel.
DO NOT get single mass flywheel if you want less noise; it'll make your car like cement mixer. That being said, I would recommend people to upgrade because stock clutch/flywheel is piece of ****.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM
teedough

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Wrong. OEM clutch on G35 and 350Z is, like you said, dual mass clutch. However, the noise is dampened very well.
Although it still emitts the chatter, it's NOWHERE close to the chatter of lightweight, single mass flywheel.
DO NOT get single mass flywheel if you want less noise; it'll make your car like cement mixer. That being said, I would recommend people to upgrade because stock clutch/flywheel is piece of ****.
SO whats the best upgrade for clutch/flywheel?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
gsazabi

Originally Posted by teedough
SO whats the best upgrade for clutch/flywheel?
I'm not sure what is available for the G37 as of now. But with the sort of power you're running as well as cost, you don't need anything extreme like twin, triple plate clutch/flywheel combo.
All you need is lightweight single mass clutch/flywheel combo. Like I said it'll be noticably louder than stock setup, but as long as you keep your revs up higher than 2300rpm the chatter shouldn't be a problem. When you're at idle though, it'll chatter noticably and people will start to ask you if something's wrong with your car lol
However, I think that's a small price to pay for the added performance you get. Your revs will rise and drop noticably quicker(rev match is a joy!), and the clutch engagement point will be WAY shorter and sooner.
Best of all it'll shave off about 40-45lbs off the car's weight. We all know that G37 is a pig and every lbs count!

Look into JWT clutch/flywheel combo. Their design is based off on stock clutch so it's very easy to operate. I'm not sure if they have a product out for G37 yet though.

Last edited by gsazabi; 07-24-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 AM
christeeeneeey

ccccccccceeeeeeeDOMO
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ WTF? Drunk post?