SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

ecu reset question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:27 AM
stormgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ecu reset question

i will be installing my intake today and am wondering if when i unplug the batter to reset the ecu, will i loose all my radio presets and lighting/audio settings? or is that stuff stored in memory somewhere?

this car does have a hard drive, so i'm wondering if there is a way to backup and restore this info or if it simply keeps it in non volitile memory somewhere.

thanks!
(sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in or if it's already been discussed)
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Your just installing intakes, why do you need to reset the ECU? And yes you'll lose everything.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
stormgate

just from reading around the forum; this is done so the ecu can "learn" and adjust to more air. i've always done this in cars i've installed intakes in anyway.

you figure car companies would be smart enough to start storing presets in non-volitile memory or something... it doesn't cost that much more to put it in there.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stormgate
just from reading around the forum; this is done so the ecu can "learn" and adjust to more air. i've always done this in cars i've installed intakes in anyway.

you figure car companies would be smart enough to start storing presets in non-volitile memory or something... it doesn't cost that much more to put it in there.
No need to reset ECU, the ECU will learn and adjust as it does to habits of any driver. That's the reason you have a smart car.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 PM
stormgate

is that like a smart phone?

intake install was a brease.. i'll post some pics tomorrow. i went with a set of short rams i got on ebay. they are like the fujitas... i painted them before install so they are the same color as the car (or relatively close to the same color).

they are Ok... sound awesome... what you would expect from any short ram intake... but i think i will eventually switch to the injen CAI.

i did reset the ECU... although more for educational purposes. learned how to reset the windows!!! i am happy to report that i did NOT loose any of my radio presets or configs. what i did loose were seat memory settings, illumination settings, and i imagine i didn't loose my navi settings, although i'll check up on that tomorrow night.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Eskrimador
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cvipgo
No need to reset ECU, the ECU will learn and adjust as it does to habits of any driver. That's the reason you have a smart car.
Lot's of you have more experience than I but I bought an 09 stock convertible almost 2 months ago. It had 8000 miles on it. I've put about 300 on it. It was doing the aggressive downshifting I've seen described and seemed to be revving into higher RPM's for reasons I couldn't figure out. I was going to see if I could get the adjustments mentioned in the TSBs.
However, 2 days ago the battery died. I replaced it, lost all presets and it seems that the other issues are gone. This is a long way of saying that I figure the car would have learned the way I drive eventually but it appears that resetting the ECU helped it learn faster.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eskrimador
Lot's of you have more experience than I but I bought an 09 stock convertible almost 2 months ago. It had 8000 miles on it. I've put about 300 on it. It was doing the aggressive downshifting I've seen described and seemed to be revving into higher RPM's for reasons I couldn't figure out. I was going to see if I could get the adjustments mentioned in the TSBs.
However, 2 days ago the battery died. I replaced it, lost all presets and it seems that the other issues are gone. This is a long way of saying that I figure the car would have learned the way I drive eventually but it appears that resetting the ECU helped it learn faster.
That's great, Congrats on new ride, what color combo did you get? Yes, resetting ECU may enhance learning process as it starts with blank memory.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
stormgate

welcome esk!