South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Seibon Carbon Fiber Hoods for G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
CLIP ENHANCED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seibon Carbon Fiber Hoods for G37

Is anyone else having issues with the fitment of the "Carbon Fiber" OEM Style hood from Seibon for the G37? We have installed four so far but have to do serious modifications just to install it. The end result seems to be ok but you have to do some serious mods! They do look great when done for the most part. We have a red one now that we did and it looks sweet but wow, what a pain!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
BigJohnson

Pics?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by CLIP ENHANCED
Is anyone else having issues with the fitment of the "Carbon Fiber" OEM Style hood from Seibon for the G37? We have installed four so far but have to do serious modifications just to install it. The end result seems to be ok but you have to do some serious mods! They do look great when done for the most part. We have a red one now that we did and it looks sweet but wow, what a pain!
I took a look at the hood and trunk on a car out front of CLI the last time I was in to get service. To be honest, I was not at all impressed with the fitment. I was wondering, "Do they know that it doesn't fit very well or do they think nobody will notice?" For what something like that costs, you'd think it would fit better. I actually took some pictures of the trunk but I've already erased them from my phone.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
CLIP ENHANCED

The first one we received from Seibon was awful. When we took it out of the box, nothing seemed to fit correctly. They sent me another one and it was way better but still needed some major modifications. The third one we did almost flew off the car due to where the front hood latch and hood spring come together just did not mesh well. I sent that one back! The fourth one we did is on one of our G's now and looks great but took some work just to get each side lined up correctly. I'll have a picture of it in a minute. This hood seems to be ok. Maybe Seibon just needed to get all of the bugs out. It sure looks good though!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
CLIP ENHANCED

The deck lid is another story! We've done two deck lids already but only one of them was good. The first one they sent me was damaged but because i did not open it as soon as it was dropped off, Seibon would not return it. That one was put on a car just for show and fit ok. The second one we did fit pretty good but still the driver side just did not quite fit perfect! They sure look good though. I think Seibon just came out with these and tried to mass produce them. Hopefully the next one we do will be better!?!?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

We've sold about 6 hoods for the G37 and all seem to have good fitment with little modification. We have yet to install a trunk, but the one at SEMA seemed to fit real good.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

The first one we received from Seibon was awful. When we took it out of the box, nothing seemed to fit correctly. They sent me another one and it was way better but still needed some major modifications. The third one we did almost flew off the car due to where the front hood latch and hood spring come together just did not mesh well. I sent that one back! The fourth one we did is on one of our G's now and looks great but took some work just to get each side lined up correctly. I'll have a picture of it in a minute. This hood seems to be ok. Maybe Seibon just needed to get all of the bugs out. It sure looks good though!
What do you consider "major" modifications? These are market body components and modifaction to brackets or holes is almost guaranteed.

On your "third" hood, did you adjust the latch catch? I don't understand the term "mesh well".

I'm not saying you didn't receive a bad product, but its WAY to often you hear of fitment issues from someone who thinks these are just swap and go parts. Professional installation is needed and modification is a given.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM
CLIP ENHANCED

I realize you get what you pay for but when you take this hood out of the box and go to install it on a $40,000.00 G37S, even though it is aftermarket, you should not have to make the pre-drilled holes where the spray nozzles go larger or smaller. They should be the correct size already. Also the weatherstrip which is atatched to the sqiurters has to be mounted with double-sided tape in order for it to "stay on" according to Seibon. We also had issues with the hood spring being to long and had to cut off almost 1" just for the hood to close properly or else the hood is about 1/4 inch higher in the center above the grille. And no matter how long you spend trying to match up the drivers side gap and the passenger side gap, it just isn't perfect. That is all I'm saying. This also is not a Carbon Fiber Hood. This is a fiberglass hood over-layed with carbon fiber. Again, I realize you get what you pay for. It still looks nice though...once all of the modifications are done.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:33 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow... That sucks....
Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 PM
CLIP ENHANCED

Hopefully Seibon will continue to make the much needed improvements to the products they have developed to insure a lifetime of happy customers. Here, at Clear Lake Infiniti, we only want the best OEM or Aftermarket Performance Parts possible. Our name and reputation depend on it! See you at Import Reactor March 21st in the Woodlands!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The deck lid is another story! ...The second one we did fit pretty good but still the driver side just did not quite fit perfect!
That must be the one I saw. It was on a car just outside the main showroom door. I don't remember the color, one of the dark grays maybe. I was in the customer waiting area and from 8 or 9 feet away through the window I could see that it was misaligned on the driver side. I'm not a carbon fiber guy anyway but I certainly hope they get the fit better if they're going to be charging premium prices.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

I realize you get what you pay for but when you take this hood out of the box and go to install it on a $40,000.00 G37S, even though it is aftermarket, you should not have to make the pre-drilled holes where the spray nozzles go larger or smaller. They should be the correct size already. Also the weatherstrip which is atatched to the sqiurters has to be mounted with double-sided tape in order for it to "stay on" according to Seibon. We also had issues with the hood spring being to long and had to cut off almost 1" just for the hood to close properly or else the hood is about 1/4 inch higher in the center above the grille. And no matter how long you spend trying to match up the drivers side gap and the passenger side gap, it just isn't perfect. That is all I'm saying. This also is not a Carbon Fiber Hood. This is a fiberglass hood over-layed with carbon fiber. Again, I realize you get what you pay for. It still looks nice though...once all of the modifications are done.
No offense meant by this but you put a $500 hood on your $40k vehicle. Of course Seibon is hand laid wet carbon, anyone could tell you that. If you wanted a perfect fit you should have shelled out the money for some quality parts. No hood is going to have OEM fitment, period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Seibon isn't "quality", but in the land of carbon fiber you get what you pay for. Seibon hoods are great for the cost, but if you want a hood that is high quality you are talking about your looking to spend over $1000. I'd suggest waiting for Mastergrade carbon parts to come out if you want HIGH quality parts.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm not a carbon fiber guy anyway but I certainly hope they get the fit better if they're going to be charging premium prices.

This is the biggest misconception of carbon parts. Your buying a $500 hood ! That is crazy cheap for the amount of time needed, cost of carbon, and labor costs.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 AM
CLIP ENHANCED

I'll agree to that my friend!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
CLIP ENHANCED

However, when it is the only one available for now, what can you do, right?

Quick Reply: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hoods for G37