Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 AM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?

Several times I have clicked links on this forum (internal links, not to external websites), and I have been redirected to a completely different website. Most recently, the website was a fake Java Update page, saying something about downloading the latest update. It was fairly convincing, but definitely not legitimate.

Is anyone else seeing this? If I were the admin/owner, I definitely would not want my website exhibiting this potentially malicious behavior. There is a possibility that this is coming from my end....however, I am extremely vigilant about the websites that I go to, so I doubt that this is the case.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
Several times I have clicked links on this forum (internal links, not to external websites), and I have been redirected to a completely different website. Most recently, the website was a fake Java Update page, saying something about downloading the latest update. It was fairly convincing, but definitely not legitimate.

Is anyone else seeing this? If I were the admin/owner, I definitely would not want my website exhibiting this potentially malicious behavior. There is a possibility that this is coming from my end....however, I am extremely vigilant about the websites that I go to, so I doubt that this is the case.

Any examples? I haven't seen anything like that and I'm pretty vigilant myself. It sounds like something unique to your machine at first blush...
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by DBall
Any examples? I haven't seen anything like that and I'm pretty vigilant myself. It sounds like something unique to your machine at first blush...
Next time it happens I'll be sure to take a screenshot. It doesn't happen often, but I highly doubt it is on my end. Currently using my work laptop. I don't go to sketchy websites or download anything on it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Notifying Admin of this thread. Any additional info you can provide will likely be very helpful.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please let me know if you are on a PC or Mac, the browser you are using, and whether you also get redirected when using your browser's Incognito/Private browsing feature?

Thank you!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 AM
DBall

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Not quite the same, but this site has been hacked. Below is a screenshot (with link in address bar). I clicked on this link and landed on this page. The site is definitely compromised.

I'm on Firefox 30.0, PC (Win7)

I have the No Script add-on, so I may have avoided anything that auto-installs.
Attached Thumbnails Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?-ib-g37.png  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 AM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please let me know if you are on a PC or Mac, the browser you are using, and whether you also get redirected when using your browser's Incognito/Private browsing feature?

Thank you!
Windows 8.1, Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153 m, and I WAS using the Incognito feature.

Originally Posted by DBall
Not quite the same, but this site has been hacked. Below is a screenshot (with link in address bar). I clicked on this link and landed on this page. The site is definitely compromised.

I'm on Firefox 30.0, PC (Win7)

I have the No Script add-on, so I may have avoided anything that auto-installs.
I haven't ever seen that before.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
I just got this iran security one this morning as well, first time for me. Im on Internet Explorer 11.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 AM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I recommend using Firefox or Chrome browser and install the free extensions that block any redirect attempt like that.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

Thanks for the additional information, everyone.

The "Iran security group" message you saw in some threads this morning is unrelated to the redirect issue. A user was able to manipulate the forum layout by embedding HTML in his post. The good news is that all the user could do was change the layout of the page - no data was compromised. The posts have since been removed, the user has been banned, and the ability to add HTML to posts is now disabled. This should prevent any similar issue from happening in the future.

If you continue to get see redirects to malware or fake security software websites, please let me know.

Thank you!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:47 AM
Brian6t5
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure if it's the same problem

When I clicked on the login screen tonight I got a "Java Required" Banner pop up and behind it was the website "Freecomputerupdates.com". I did the Cntrl/alt/del and was able to get out. I'm using internet explorer.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by Brian6t5
When I clicked on the login screen tonight I got a "Java Required" Banner pop up and behind it was the website "Freecomputerupdates.com". I did the Cntrl/alt/del and was able to get out. I'm using internet explorer.
Thanks for letting us know. Were you by any chance using Internet Explorer's InPrivate Browsing option when you got redirected?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM
LooksLikeASport

Happened again. I opened a new Incognito window in Chrome, I clicked my bookmarked link to Private Classifieds - MyG37 and then I walked away from the computer for a bit and came back to this:
Attached Thumbnails Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?-java.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 PM
inspector94
Premier Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
does this happen only on myg37? i haven't seen anything.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:41 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by inspector94
does this happen only on myg37? i haven't seen anything.
I have not had it happen on other websites. So, yes, just MyG37. (I do not go to any of the sister sites of MyG37, so it may happen there as well, but outside of MyG37 and its sister sites, it does not happen)

Quick Reply: Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?