Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

Thread titles/thread location

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thread titles/thread location

For the benefit of everyone using the forum, please post your threads with titles that actually tell the reader what the thread is about or what it is you'd like to ask. It really helps when someone else searches for information on the same topic by thread title. And it lets those of us with answers know what it is you'd like help with just by reading the title. It really is helpful for everyone.

For example, if you title your thread "quick question" many will simply skip it altogether. I will. Why? Because as of this posting there are 93 threads with the words "quick question" in the title. 93! Some have other descriptors, but many do not. I won't click them becasue I don't know what the question is about by the title alone, and if you value your own time so much that you require an answer quickly but don't value mine enough so as to tell me what the thread is about so I know whether I can help with an answer or not, I simply ignore it. Many others are more helpful, but please help them help you by putting better thread titles on your threads.

Also think carefully before just dropping your thread in the G Coupe or G sedan forum. Those should be for threads specific to only one or the other model, not a general catch all. A brake question belongs in the Brakes & Suspension forum no matter which you have because both share the same brakes. A question about how to remove a scratch or oxidation on your paint belongs in the Car Care & Detailing forum, not the Coupe or Sedan forum. If you want to know about an alignment shop in Poughkeepsie, it goes int he North America NorthEast forum, not in the Brakes & Suspension forum becasue nobody outside of your region will now. A thread about Plastidip belongs in a Honda Civic forum, but if you must post it here it probably goes in the Body Interior Exterior Lighting forum.

Thanks for your thoughtful consideration.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Sticky!!

Originally Posted by Black Betty
A thread about Plastidip belongs in a Honda Civic forum, <snipped>
LOL!!!!!

A bit off topic (but related), only quote enough so that your reply can be taken in context.

Last edited by JSolo; 03-06-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
CutInactiveMods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this thread is just for chuckles, it is a little bit funny.

If you're truly serious about issues like this, you're going to have to get very proactive, I'm sure you know this already. The behavior you describe is so prevalent, serious action would need to be taken.
I know you know exactly what it would take, but for the others, this would mean having your poorly named threads locked, deleted, or renamed for starters. It would also take many moderators doing this very often.

On another forum that I frequent, the rules are very strict and vigorously enforced. For instance, not even "double posting" (making another post right after the last one before anyone else has replied) is allowed. As I'm reading posts there, I come across many that have been edited by the moderators, they'll take the extra post, copy it before deleting it, and then paste it into the previous one in a way that makes it obvious what's been done and also let the offender know that whenever they need to add something else before someone else replies first, they should edit instead of posting another new post. Not as annoying as bad subject lines of course, but I see that type of moderator editing there repeatedly and I NEVER see threads with meaningless subject lines there, obviously that's being dealt with as well, successfully.

Furthermore, I believe the existence of poorly named threads actually encourages more of them!

Perhaps members should post a link to this thread in all of those other threads that have poor/meaningless subject lines?

I do see threads here being moved to the proper section somewhat often, but rarely ever see bad thread titles being renamed here... Moderators could do this and have done so, but rarely. It's okay, I don't care, as it does not represent my efforts / it's not my responsibility.

This thread alone will not help at all because very few members will ever see it.

On a side note, BB for administrator, seriously. Maybe this would be helpful??