Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

A Wiki

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Wiki

Hey folks,

(TLDR below) Site admins, I'm just curious, have you ever considered adding a wiki to compliment the forums? It could be a really useful tool to help organize some of the great content that's here. Don't get me wrong, the forum sections and stickies are really informative, and with some effort using the search tool, one can find most anything they're looking for, however some really useful information can get buried and become difficult to find. Here's a specific example of how a Wiki could be a helpful addition:

Let's say a user has a fairly specific questions, such as "What is the bolt pattern for the G?" For this example, if I'm an 'average user,' I was able to find the answer I wanted with some searching, but in my opinion, none of the threads I saw on the first few pages screamed "5x114.3" to me. Coincidentally, I happened to find my answer in this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...r-vossens.html as well as some additional info on why OEM lugs won't work with aftermarket wheels and vice versa -- something I didn't know before reading this (being the n00b I am). I doubt I would have checked this thread if I wasn't trying to illustrate this example, as it's titled "Buying tire lugz for Vossens" and I don't have a set of Vossens on my car. Alternatively, using google to search for "G37 bolt pattern" returns this as the first result: Wheels (FAQ) - The Infiniti G37 Information Resource -- another site that has created a wiki already with the exact information I was looking for.

In addition to making some content easier to find, a wiki could also cut down on some of the often-asked questions like "Guys, what exhaust should I get for my G?" or "hay guyz wats tha best in take 4 mai car I got a G47". (For the grammar people, that period was left outside the quotation marks intentionally.) Okay, let me back up a moment; it may not cut down on the number of posts like this, but at least they could be fielded with a quick and easy "Go here, https://www.myg37.com/wiki/air_intakes and read." Rather than the usual community facepalm and "use the search" response.

I realize this could go either way, as a wiki would mean more places to be moderated and would require a community willing to create and update articles, but I felt it might worth exploring and wanted to offer it up to the masses.

On a side note, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about the current functionality -- I'm not. I just wanted to offer up a suggestion which I thought could make a great site even better. I know I'm not around here as often as I'd like to be, but I would definitely be willing to help contribute the little bit of car knowledge I have to the cause. I hope other members would feel the same.

TLDR: Wikis are useful, has one been considered? They could make our great content easier to find. Especially less obvious but still important information. They also can assist when dealing with 'n00b spam.' Think about it.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
seems like good idea
Old 08-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think it's a great idea but I don't know about the feasibility of implementing it. I hope Admins will comment, I'd love it.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
If nothing else, maybe someone can set it up/host it elsewhere. Then just have a sticky that links to it?