Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

wtf? searching.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 AM
mello03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wtf? searching.

Ok, so I searched on searching lol. The word "searching" came back with >400 results. Can someone please give me a clue to how I can search more effectively. Seems that every time I search for something, even putting quotes around it, yeilds TONS of results. Even if there is just one word in the search criteria that matches, it brings up threads with that single word in it. Please tell me there is a better way!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
1) Why is this in the G37Sedan subforum?

2) I still don't get what you want lol
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 AM
nogoodname
Banned

why would you search "searching".....?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 AM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by mello03
Ok, so I searched on searching lol. The word "searching" came back with >400 results. Can someone please give me a clue to how I can search more effectively. Seems that every time I search for something, even putting quotes around it, yeilds TONS of results. Even if there is just one word in the search criteria that matches, it brings up threads with that single word in it. Please tell me there is a better way!
Here's a tip that should help. From the drop-down box on the search page, choose "Search Title Only", instead of "Search Entire Subject". This will narrow things down to more relevant results.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What you want to do is use the Advanced Search feature. You can search for key words, search individual posts with what you are seeking or just thread titles only, you can search for posts containing a certain key words only from a particular user, etc. You can search one particular forum or sub forum only. You can search by date (older or newer than a given date). You can search through threads only by a particular user. You can search for threads with only a certain prefix. Using multiple filters will help narrow down your results. Play around with it.

For example, let's say I was trying to find this thread using advanced search filters

First, I searched for the word "searching" with no filters. I got 500 results (the maximum)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/search....archid=5460996

I filtered it down because I remembered the word "searching" was in the thread title so I searched for the word "searching" using the option to "Search Titles Only" in the drop down box below the key word. Only 9 results returned and it's really easy to find this thread (3rd one down the list)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/search....archid=5460993

If I remember that you are the user who posted the thread I'm looking for, I can also filter it by that as well. When searching for the word "searching" in thread titles only, by username mello03, this is the only search result returned. Jackpot!
https://www.myg37.com/forums/search....archid=5461008

Good luck and happy searching!

MyG37.com Advanced Search
Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
mello03

Originally Posted by G37Sam
1) Why is this in the G37Sedan subforum?

2) I still don't get what you want lol
1. Why does it matter? People post random stuff on Corvette Forum and LS1tech in sub-forums (or specific models) and it is not an issue. If that is not the way you would like things around here, my apologies and move it wherever you like!

2. Do you really not understand? Others did.

Originally Posted by nogoodname
why would you search "searching".....?
Because I was trying to find a better way to use the search function. I was also joking a bit.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
What you want to do is use the Advanced Search feature. You can search for key words, search individual posts with what you are seeking or just thread titles only, you can search for posts containing a certain key words only from a particular user, etc. You can search one particular forum or sub forum only. You can search by date (older or newer than a given date). You can search through threads only by a particular user. You can search for threads with only a certain prefix. Using multiple filters will help narrow down your results. Play around with it.

For example, let's say I was trying to find this thread using advanced search filters

First, I searched for the word "searching" with no filters. I got 500 results (the maximum)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/search....archid=5460996

I filtered it down because I remembered the word "searching" was in the thread title so I searched for the word "searching" using the option to "Search Titles Only" in the drop down box below the key word. Only 9 results returned and it's really easy to find this thread (3rd one down the list)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/search....archid=5460993

If I remember that you are the user who posted the thread I'm looking for, I can also filter it by that as well. When searching for the word "searching" in thread titles only, by username mello03, this is the only search result returned. Jackpot!
https://www.myg37.com/forums/search....archid=5461008

Good luck and happy searching!

MyG37.com Advanced Search
Thank you sir that is exactly what I needed.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hurray! Another one enlightened.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow... Amazing what we have on our boards now and that these people actually drive Gs.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
1. Why does it matter? People post random stuff on Corvette Forum and LS1tech in sub-forums (or specific models) and it is not an issue. If that is not the way you would like things around here, my apologies and move it wherever you like!

2. Do you really not understand? Others did.
Oh don't worry about it, over here we actually have subforums for a reason lol just messing, but we like to keep threads organized for future reference etc..
Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 AM
mello03

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Wow... Amazing what we have on our boards now and that these people actually drive Gs.
Yes actually driving the "G" supercar. Not knocking the car but that is quite an arrogant thing to say. Coming from a moderator too. Wow. This car carries no more status than any other mid 30K sedan or coupe. I love the car, but that is just lame. Sorry dude that I don't have 14,000 posts on a car forum and know all the tricks of the search function on this particular site.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes actually driving the "G" supercar. Not knocking the car but that is quite an arrogant thing to say. Coming from a moderator too. Wow. This car carries no more status than any other mid 30K sedan or coupe. I love the car, but that is just lame. Sorry dude that I don't have 14,000 posts on a car forum and know all the tricks of the search function on this particular site.
I just posted and showed you how to use the search feature since you had no clue how to do it. It's actually amazingly easy to figure out if you had put the slightest effort into it; hence most people will think you to be somewhat slow witted or lazy as you saw the need to post a thread on "How do I search".