Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Fumoto drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM
MJCarnegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fumoto drain plug

Hey Guys, new stock 09' G37S Coupe owner here. Is there enough clearance between the oil pan drain plug and the access panel to allow me to use the Fumoto F-103N extended nipple version, or am better off with the regular model? I'd hate to install the thing and find out that the access panel won't shut. Thanks!

Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
g37musings

I would get the regular one. The extended one will likely be too close. Not a ton of room left over on mine and it is regular version.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^+1 get the regular one. There is no reason for the extended one and it will make things waaaaaay too tight
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
oro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the F-103N 2 days ago, it doesn't make any contact with the under tray. This is assuming you only unzip the 4 rear screws and bend the plastic panel at its crease.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
MJCarnegie

Thanks Guys.

Mike
Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 PM
1971442w30conv
Registered Member

OK, I have used many Fumoto valves and I am trying to install one on my 2014 Q60,
Car only has 16,000 miles on it, always serviced at Infiniti Dealer, I take plastic pan off, already missing the 3 plastic tabs and remove oil filter. Then try to remove the oil pan plug with 14mm socket...I could not make it budge using up to a 1/2" breaker bar! I have had this problem with some idiot cranking the plug and filter so tight to start the stripping of threads, hence my use of Fumoto along with the ease to take mid pour sample for Blackstone.
I know the MAX torque of oil pan plug is 29 ft lb but a 16" breaker bar will not budge it. It does have the blue paint on it confirming torqued, BUT!!! I called dealer who has done all servicing and their response was "It is supposed to be tight". No argument there but there is a difference between "tighten snug and friction welding it". I told Dealer I was not comfortable trying to remove this plug as it may already be friction welded to the pan as I could see the pan starting to distort as I beefed on the breaker bar.
The Fumoto has rubber O ring seal but it really does not protrude much past the valve housing. Have any of you all had any issue with leak, as I don't think the crush washer should be used against a rubber O ring. I think my M's and maybe the old G had cast pans but still used crush washer don't recall but never had a problem. The original plug on my F-150,000 had a permanent washer on original plug, if I recall I just removed and installed Fumoto more than 300,000 miles ago with no problem.
Has anybody had this type problem taking plug out? I'm tempted to just have dealer take it out...Never checked, in all these years,does a torque wrench work backwards?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
Torque wrench work backwards? Please rephrase.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM
1971442w30conv
Registered Member

Can you read/set torque to remove rather than tighten? The max torque to tighten factory drain plug with new crush washer is 29 inch pounds. What is the torque to remove the same?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
I got the newer version where it pivots dont over tighten it
Old 05-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 1971442w30conv
I know the MAX torque of oil pan plug is 29 ft lb but a 16" breaker bar will not budge it. It does have the blue paint on it confirming torqued, BUT!!! I called dealer who has done all servicing and their response was "It is supposed to be tight". No argument there but there is a difference between "tighten snug and friction welding it". I told Dealer I was not comfortable trying to remove this plug as it may already be friction welded to the pan as I could see the pan starting to distort as I beefed on the breaker bar.
The Fumoto has rubber O ring seal but it really does not protrude much past the valve housing. Have any of you all had any issue with leak, as I don't think the crush washer should be used against a rubber O ring. I think my M's and maybe the old G had cast pans but still used crush washer don't recall but never had a problem. The original plug on my F-150,000 had a permanent washer on original plug, if I recall I just removed and installed Fumoto more than 300,000 miles ago with no problem.
Has anybody had this type problem taking plug out? I'm tempted to just have dealer take it out...Never checked, in all these years,does a torque wrench work backwards?
Originally Posted by 1971442w30conv
Can you read/set torque to remove rather than tighten? The max torque to tighten factory drain plug with new crush washer is 29 inch pounds. What is the torque to remove the same?

If you are talking about measuring breakaway torque, AFAIK you can but not with modern click type or digital ones that most mechanics use, you have to use the dial type that used to be used a long time ago and are currently used in engineering/lab type environments or the super cheapo ones which in my experience arent particularly precise...the only mechanics I have seen using them still are drivline ppl use them to set up FD gears...

couple things...a 16 breaker bar isn't that long...try something longer.
if you damage the threads on the pan use a thread chaser to fix them...

not trying to sound mean or anything but I'm a bit at a loss for all the trouble/concern...its just an oil pan, its not a precision engineered internal engine component... you can replace the whole pan for 50 dollars and it comes with a new drain plug if you're really worried....either way good luck
Old 05-17-2018, 12:57 PM
1971442w30conv
Registered Member

over torqued oil pan plug

No offense taken, but this usually happens on Sunday afternoon. 29 pounds is not 290! Car is under warranty until 2025 but that does cover abuse or stupidity!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 PM
1971442w30conv
Registered Member

My point was it should not take a breaker bar with a 2 foot pipe extension to remove the plug. I went thru this with Ford years ago, and after they had changed the oil on one of my fleet trucks approx.10 times they informed me that the oil pan needed to be replaced due to the fact that pan plug hole was stripped. I had saved a video of one of my guys, a Carpenter but a gear head at heart like me trying to remove oil plug and filter using correct cup socket for filter and 16mm for plug, neither would budge. In fact the filter started to twist and deform. This on the truck that had to go in for pan replacement. I had purchased 12 work trucks from this dealer over several years, I told the GM" last purchase, last service".
Back to the Fumoto, use copper crush along with rubber o ring on Fumoto or not?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:46 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Use the gasket that came with it
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i had a Fumoto valve on a car about 15 years ago, and wanted to maybe get some again for my current cars.

then i came across this: https://www.valvomax.com/

i like the design (no petcock, machined cap) better. ordered two, but they are backordered/sold out ... was told 6-8 weeks, but oil was recently changed in both cars, so i don't mind waiting.

also ordered and received the oil drain bag, and alredy used it to change oil on my riding mower.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the extended nipple on my fumoto on my 2012, it;'s fine. Used the washer/gasket that came with it, I did not torque it down hard.

Tight drain plug? Make them take it off. They put it on there so tight, they can deal with it. Then in the parking lot, see if you can break it free before you leave, if not tell them to do it again... to spec. I hate stealerships. They do this $hit on purpose to keep you from working on your own car.

Valvomax? Eh, kind of negates the point doesn't it? I am looking for a faster toolless solution (fumoto), and that thing requires a wrench to get the draining potion on. And I'm not a fan of the plastic retention strap. After a few hundred heat/freeze cycles it may get brittle and break.

Quick Reply: Fumoto drain plug