G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Helikido
Im in the same boat. Always wanted a G since I was a baby, now finally got one, got totalled within 10 days, but the options out there where so meh I decided to just keep and rebuild. I think after I graduate, I'll get whatever is the latest incarnation of the Mustang. Germans are meh, other Japanese alternatives are meh, Q50 & Q60 are boats and have lower performance than their American counterparts. So logically, the stang is the next choice.
Have you seen what the Q50/Q60 3.0T is capable of with simple bolt-ons and a tune?

The 3.0T Q50/Q60 is on my radar as a potential future replacement.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Helikido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emerilnut
This really is an awesome thread because it's had me thinking all morning about what's next for me.

The V36 G was one of my dream cars when I bought my 2010 Journey sedan in early 2015. I loved the design of the car when the V36 first came out in 2007. I thought it was an absolutely gorgeous car, came in RWD, and had the largest engine of its Japanese competition. Great power, super nice interior. It was the perfect car.

But now I look out there in the market and things have changed... for the worse. Even the Q50 has smaller engine options now. And I also think that the Q50 is a significant step down in appearance.

So where does that leave me? I'm not drawn to another comparable Japanese brand, and I have a really sour taste in my mouth from German, and the only American cars I'm interested in are trucks.

I'm stuck.
Originally Posted by qmantran
Have you seen what the Q50/Q60 3.0T is capable of with simple bolt-ons and a tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkYn4BS3ysE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eRzU4aNDkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEA1Qy9tV5I

The 3.0T Q50/Q60 is on my radar as a potential future replacement.
Have you seen what the Mustang Ecoboost is capable with a simple bolt-ons and tunes? Can you imagine what a future Mustang GT with a turbo 3.5 from factory would be capable of? I can only start to wonder.

For the price of a Q60 RS, I'd rather get a GT 350R that's NA. I can't wait to see what the next generation of American muscle is going to be.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Have you seen what the Mustang Ecoboost is capable with a simple bolt-ons and tunes? Can you imagine what a future Mustang GT with a turbo 3.5 from factory would be capable of? I can only start to wonder.

For the price of a Q60 RS, I'd rather get a GT 350R that's NA. I can't wait to see what the next generation of American muscle is going to be.
The next gen GT is gonna be a ecoboost v6?

You can save a lot of money going for a used silver sport model instead. They will end up making near the same power with tunes + bolt on. Same motor, just different factory tune.

I am not aware of what the 2.3L ecoboost is capable of with full bolt ons, stock turbos and a tune. Got any videos?

If i was in the market right now I would look for a used 2016 Q50 silver sport. They seem to be going for $30k. Bolts on + tune. You'll be hanging with Camaro SS and Mustang GTs in a straight.

Last edited by qmantran; 01-05-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Lego, what a cheesy try hard post

Slow, soggy and inert = response more than power. A very powerful engine can feel slow if it has a ton of turbo lag, which the GTI's engine definitely seemed to have. I don't see a tune fixing that. Plus I still don't trust the EA888- buddy of mine had nothing but problems with his MKV. FA20 is a lot more reliable and stress free.

By contrast while the BRZ wasn't fast, its engine at least had good response. And with 200WHP from bolt ons, it makes about 145WHP/ton- not far from the 151WHP/ton a stock 6MT G37 does (and probably spot on with my 7AT). Plus I've actually driven both cars, and the BRZ is just much more enjoyable to drive. Enough that losing out in meaningless bench racing is something I can live with. Keep in mind the BRZ and GTI are not far apart in speed- with 6MTs they are like 0.2-0.3 apart in all specs, including 5-60. But the BRZ feels a little faster because you're not constantly waiting for the power or unsure of what you're gonna get from the throttle.

Last edited by future62; 01-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
lol, so now we're comparing modded cars to stock cars. talk about bench racing

Since you mention 5-60, I assume you're referencing Car and Driver. Look at the spread as speed rises, the GTI hits 100 1.5+ seconds quicker.

I drove a GTI DSG back in November, I didn't notice any turbo lag, hell, the car makes peak torque @1500 rpm
Old 01-06-2018, 12:22 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Yes, I modify my cars. I also value warranties and reliability. I'd be leery of getting a tune and upping the boost on a GTI. I don't **** with emissions stuff so the stock DP would stay. Bolt ons don't make that much power on the GTI.

GTI hits 100 1.5 seconds faster.... OK. What's more relevant, 5-60 times or 0-100 times? Do you go WOT to triple digit speeds on the street on a regular basis?

And I don't really care what you claimed not to notice. I drove the car a few days ago and am telling my experience. As far as peak torque at 1500RPM, that's a lie.

^^^MK7 GTI Crank HP

Maybe in a laboratory in Wolfsburg. In the real world the turbo will never spool that fast. There it is again- that damned response issue

Bottom line I was disappointed with the GTI and pleased with the BRZ. On the street they are not far apart. It is what it is.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by future62

^^^MK7 GTI Crank HP
It looks like peak torque at 2200 RPM. I'd imagine they rolled into the throttle >1500 RPM

Whatever, I agree, the GTI isn't a G37 replacement contender. If the BRZ is what you're focusing on as a replacement, go for it. Light weight, RWD, manual, Brembos, etc. But I disagree that the BRZ has the same HP:Weight ratio as the G, and it's an unfair comparison to base that assumption on a bolt on vs stock car.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
A N/A car will always have slightly better response than a turbo car by nature of the design, but a GTI will pull a lot harder than a BRZ, especially when it is tuned. The BRZ will handle better by nature of design as well, but the GTI does handle exceptionally well for FWD, especially if you get a sport package with the limited slip differential.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I've been giving this idea of a different car a lot of thought over the last few weeks since we recently got in a loaded Audi RS3 at work. I have been drooling over it quite a bit.

Likes: Great styling, fantastic sounding 5 cylinder, ridiculously fast, APR will probably give it ludicrous speed soon, beautiful interior with alcantara, carbon fiber and red stitching, AWD, adaptive suspension, fold down rear seat for the mountain bike, rumored good handling, LED lights, Android Auto, 8 piston front brakes and a black headliner.

Dislikes: DSG transmission, engine hanging out over the front axle (bad weight distribution), reverse staggered wheels to get rid of understeer due to engine placement, 1pc. rotors, have to get a big package to get the good stereo.

I should be to fix the wheel/understeer issue and the rotors and stereo are easy fixes. With an APR tune this car should be capable of GT-R acceleration with a lot more refinement. If I can justify the dual clutch of the GT-R, then I should be able to justify the DSG in the RS3.

As a result I think this means the RS3 tops my list. It would be followed by the latest generation of M3, ATS-V (still ugly compared to M3) and maybe the Alfa Romeo Gulia Quadrifoglio if I can sacrifice AWD AND a manual transmission (probably not).

The only unknown cars for me would be the new Subaru STI now that it will finally have a new powertrain (for the 1st time ever) and could even be a hybrid. However, this car would need to make dramatic leaps and bounds in build quality as it is pretty "plastic fantastic" at the moment. The only other car I can think of that I might possibly consider would be a Nismo Leaf, but it would have to be very fast and handle very well and it will probably do neither.

So back to the RS3. My favorite color is the Red with the standard silver trim. You can get it with black trim, but I think the silver makes it look more aggressive. I think I would just add the carbon fiber inlays, RS design package (red interior trim) and the dynamic package (red calipers, sport exhaust, reverse staggered rims/tires).

Check it out. What do you guys think?

Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
There's an ineffable quality to the connection made rowing your own gears with a proper stick shift and clutch pedal with a (relatively) high performance car. It's personal, and emotional and has nothing to do with driving fast... it's just about driving. Much more so now that you've modified your car with the RJM pedal and your STS.

If you don't feel that, or if you do but think you can live without, because values are personal and fluid... then hell yeah, that S3 is gorgeous, and worthy, and rewarding.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 02:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
There's an ineffable quality to the connection made rowing your own gears with a proper stick shift and clutch pedal with a (relatively) high performance car. It's personal, and emotional and has nothing to do with driving fast... it's just about driving. Much more so now that you've modified your car with the RJM pedal and your STS.

If you don't feel that, or if you do but think you can live without, because values are personal and fluid... then hell yeah, that S3 is gorgeous, and worthy, and rewarding.
I agree 1,000,000,000%!

The biggest sticking point for me is the transmission. Same reason I have yet to buy a GT-R (and the weight). The M3 has just about everything the RS3 has (including more hp & torque), but I do miss driving sideways all winter with AWD. It is somewhat fun with RWD, but nowhere near as fun as it is with AWD.

I think the huge upgrades I have made to my G's drivetrain/powertrain are another strong reason to keep it longer. I do love driving a manual and there are not many left. There is nothing quite like heel and toe shifting coming into a corner and steering the car with the throttle almost as much as the brakes.

Fast is fast, but I agree that taking away the element of shifting is definitely a compromise for me. When I had a Nissan Leaf it was ridiculously fast in town, but not nearly as fun because there was no shifting and no noise.

I realize that the DSG makes the car faster and gives it better mileage, but I am not ready for that change yet. Maybe tomorrow...
Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

How much is your dealer asking for the RS3?

Sweet car, but the 54k base price that can swell to north of 65k has kinda turned me off to that option. Plus I couldn't live with an auto. That withstanding, it would be a hell of an upgrade.

Next gen STI would also be a consideration, but it's not expected until 2020, and I shy away from first year models, especially complete redesigns, so that would push me to 2021.

Current generation STI is still a consideration to me, even if the interior quality is horrible.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
How much is your dealer asking for the RS3?

Sweet car, but the 54k base price that can swell to north of 65k has kinda turned me off to that option. Plus I couldn't live with an auto. That withstanding, it would be a hell of an upgrade.
Funny story about this RS3. It was pre-sold back in the summer and the guy checked every option available and then backed out of the deal when it arrived for no real reason (and car salesman are the dishonest ones). This one lists for 70,200. The way I want it would have an msrp just below $60k or about $10k below that of a new M3 or ATS-V equipped the way I want.

The RS3 typically sells well over sticker because of the rarity- they are special order only from a certified Audi Sport dealer. When I looked up invoice on Truecar it said the average price in our area was about $1,000 over msrp!?! and we are nowhere near a big city where that is common. Our dealer group does not mark up the price of any car (even the $510,000 Ford GT we sold recently).
Old 01-09-2018, 06:59 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Have you seen what the Mustang Ecoboost is capable with a simple bolt-ons and tunes?
So I did some digging and what I found was that a fully bolted and tuned ecoboost mustang makes 300-350whp with stock turbo.

the silver sport Infiniti models make 300whp stock. FBO + Tune they are capable of 400-450whp stock turbos.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You sure that's for the Silver sport....Keep in mind, There are subtle differences with the RS400 and Silver sport that allow the RS to achieve the 400 horses versus the 300 of the silver sport. Something to do with the bearings of the turbos or something. That said, pretty cool to see what the 3.0 is capable of with some plug and play parts.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?