G37 Sedan

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake85
Haha! My exhaust has a tinny sound briefly as I’m accelerating past about 3500. It’s not bad, it’s kind of raw but I could still do without it. I think it may be because I only have one screw each securing the exhaust tips on. I couldn’t manage thread the other screws.
You have it too?! Are your exhaust tips sturdy? Or are they sort of loose. My mechanic welded a tiny tac (bout an inch) to secure the tip, but it could still be vibrating when giving it gas. The tinny noise only lasts for about a second or 2 right ? And you are right, it does sound raw and it's not a big deal, but I would be happier if it wasn't there.

I also get louder pops when letting go of the gas as well as downshifting sometimes than my ark. But my ark created more of them. As of right now though, I'm going to try and find the reason for the tinny noise
Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
You have it too?! Are your exhaust tips sturdy? Or are they sort of loose. My mechanic welded a tiny tac (bout an inch) to secure the tip, but it could still be vibrating when giving it gas. The tinny noise only lasts for about a second or 2 right ? And you are right, it does sound raw and it's not a big deal, but I would be happier if it wasn't there.

I also get louder pops when letting go of the gas as well as downshifting sometimes than my ark. But my ark created more of them. As of right now though, I'm going to try and find the reason for the tinny noise
Dude, exactly. It feels secure but the intense vibration of the exhaust could definitely be the culprit, vibrating the metal with the tiny bit of play between the end of the exhaust and tips.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jake85
Dude, exactly. It feels secure but the intense vibration of the exhaust could definitely be the culprit, vibrating the metal with the tiny bit of play between the end of the exhaust and tips.
Yeah it could be. I'm not sure how we would be able to figure out if it is without actually welding the tip on. But it definitely sounds like the tinny noise is from the rear for sure. My mechanic said the bolts / screws that hold the tip on are pretty low quality as it was jiggling like crazy. That's why he welded a tac on.

Here's a pic of how my tip is welded on. Didn't want him to do all of it as I wanted to be able to cut it off if I ever wanted to change tips (doubt it).

Here's a picture for WellNotExactly to compare how low his resonator is:

Maybe a few other MD owners can chime in and see if they have any tinny noise as well.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Jake85

Yeah it could be. I'm not sure how we would be able to figure out if it is without actually welding the tip on. But it definitely sounds like the tinny noise is from the rear for sure. My mechanic said the bolts / screws that hold the tip on are pretty low quality as it was jiggling like crazy. That's why he welded a tac on.

Here's a pic of how my tip is welded on. Didn't want him to do all of it as I wanted to be able to cut it off if I ever wanted to change tips (doubt it).

Maybe a few other MD owners can chime in and see if they have any tinny noise as well.
I wouldn’t want to weld mine on because then you can’t take them off to clean them easily. The carbon build up right now is terrible. I’m going to remove the tips so I can get them loooking shiny and new again.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I appreciate the picture Sky! Although it really does look like mine hangs lower than yours still. I’m happy you and Jake are liking your exhausts, and VQ, if you’re reading this, you must be so stoked that you’re getting rid of those stock cats!

This probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone who’s been following my journey, but....I just placed an order for the Ark catback. I was looking at Stillen and I just thought they were too quiet, I didn’t want to wait 7 years for FI, and didn’t really find any other alternative I liked. Maybe I’m getting old, but the MD is just too loud for me. When I feel like “going for a drive” it’s absolutely awesome, and I happily (and completely unnecessarily) throttle-blip any chance I get. But when I’m running to the store, or getting gas, or just puttering around town, it’s still too loud for me. I think the biggest issue is that this exhaust just doesn’t sound good with the 5AT. You’re never really out of the “loud zone”, and have to either switch to DS or purposefully speed up to get out of lower gears and get the damn thing to shut up.

As you can imagine, speed limits here in Chicago are basically all between 20-35, so I’m almost never in higher gears in regular stop and go traffic. I can only imagine what people must think when they hear my car and see that I’m only going 13 mph.

The other part is the ground clearance. The center resonator, even after having another shop adjust it all they could, still hangs WAY too low. Chicago roads suck, and while my girlfriend has driven slammed cars before (all of them were mine, lmao), all it takes is a moment of distraction and a renegade sewer cover. I know the Ark is still lower than most because it doesn’t sit all the way against the chassis in the exhaust tunnel, but the clearance (from everything I’ve seen/read) is still way better than what I have now, and the x-pipe design over the MD mid-muffler design gives me more peace of mind.

So, after only having the system on my car for less than a full week, it will be swapped when my Ark gets here, and thrown on the classifieds. Silver lining here is the next owner will be the owner of a one-off MD that fits ANY G sedan! Haha
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Jake85

Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
I appreciate the picture Sky! Although it really does look like mine hangs lower than yours still. I’m happy you and Jake are liking your exhausts, and VQ, if you’re reading this, you must be so stoked that you’re getting rid of those stock cats!

This probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone who’s been following my journey, but....I just placed an order for the Ark catback. I was looking at Stillen and I just thought they were too quiet, I didn’t want to wait 7 years for FI, and didn’t really find any other alternative I liked. Maybe I’m getting old, but the MD is just too loud for me. When I feel like “going for a drive” it’s absolutely awesome, and I happily (and completely unnecessarily) throttle-blip any chance I get. But when I’m running to the store, or getting gas, or just puttering around town, it’s still too loud for me. I think the biggest issue is that this exhaust just doesn’t sound good with the 5AT. You’re never really out of the “loud zone”, and have to either switch to DS or purposefully speed up to get out of lower gears and get the damn thing to shut up.

As you can imagine, speed limits here in Chicago are basically all between 20-35, so I’m almost never in higher gears in regular stop and go traffic. I can only imagine what people must think when they hear my car and see that I’m only going 13 mph.

The other part is the ground clearance. The center resonator, even after having another shop adjust it all they could, still hangs WAY too low. Chicago roads suck, and while my girlfriend has driven slammed cars before (all of them were mine, lmao), all it takes is a moment of distraction and a renegade sewer cover. I know the Ark is still lower than most because it doesn’t sit all the way against the chassis in the exhaust tunnel, but the clearance (from everything I’ve seen/read) is still way better than what I have now, and the x-pipe design over the MD mid-muffler design gives me more peace of mind.

So, after only having the system on my car for less than a full week, it will be swapped when my Ark gets here, and thrown on the classifieds. Silver lining here is the next owner will be the owner of a one-off MD that fits ANY G sedan! Haha

So lame you had to go through all that bull**** just to not like the exhaust that much. Going with an Ark sounds like the right call for you.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don’t have the tiny noise that you guys are talking about when accelerating, i'll try and listen more carefully.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
with the ARK exhaust being 2.5"....does it bolt right up to stock cats ??
Old 12-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
As long as the flange bolts match, it doesn't matter if the cat outlet is 2.25" while the catback inlet is 2.5".

Regardless of flange fitment, I suppose if the reverse were the case, and you were matching a 2.5" outlet to a 2.25" inlet, I suspect that would be more of an issue. But that's not an educated opinion, just conventional wisdom.
The following users liked this post:
Rich11G37xS (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 01:32 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Yes, yes they do. As Rochester mentioned, it's the flange that is the same.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
As long as the flange bolts match, it doesn't matter if the cat outlet is 2.25" while the catback inlet is 2.5".

Regardless of flange fitment, I suppose if the reverse were the case, and you were matching a 2.5" outlet to a 2.25" inlet, I suspect that would be more of an issue. But that's not an educated opinion, just conventional wisdom.
Conventional wisdom is what I needed...lol...Thank You Rochester...Hey the ARK catback at $63/month for 2 years , that's the way to go...eyeballing it !!!!!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Conventional wisdom is what I needed...lol...Thank You Rochester...Hey the ARK catback at $63/month for 2 years , that's the way to go...eyeballing it !!!!!
Quick statement, that's about $1512 after the 24th month. I paid $1300 when I bought mine. I'm not sure if a payment plan is worth it for 200$, but if it is, so be it. Then again, not sure what the current price for ark is right now anyways. Overall great exhaust.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

I’ve yet to see it for $1300, $1499 is the cheapest I’ve seen it.... where’d you buy yours??
Old 12-10-2017, 03:17 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

I’ve yet to see it for $1300, $1499 is the cheapest I’ve seen it.... where’d you buy yours??
After looking through my messages, I paid $1329 shipped from Charles with b2autodesign for a new ARK grip with stainless tips for the g37 sedan . B2 mentioned that ARK was having a sale so that's what they quoted me. I'm sure during black Friday , you would be able to get that price. But as of now, I'm not too sure as ark could've raised their MSRP. But yeah, I ordered mine from B2

This was last year
Old 12-10-2017, 05:07 PM
cptn_barbosa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So hopefully im posting this in the right place. Im still getting used to the forums.

Hello all, so i recently purchased a 13 sedan g37 and i am not regretting the purchase. First mod i wanted to do is of course an exhaust mod. Now i wanted to pay for a good exhaust when i started digging into what i should buy. Well financially some of the "good" ones are priced pretty high. So i opted in a local custom exhaust shop that i had taken a previous car to and well i was happy with what they did then. The following is the exact set up of exhaust i have installed on my sedan. The car in the video is not mine nor do i own the shop or am promoting yall to go the shop. I can post the exhaust on my sedan on a later time.

Chime in and let me know what yall think.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread