Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Powered Subwoofer install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Snaoum
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Powered Subwoofer install questions

I will be installing a JL powered subwoofer in the near future. Most likely a JL Audio ACS110LG-TW1. I am confused on the wiring, I have done many installs so I am conformable but what is confusing me is what wires to tap input to the JL audio. I see threads that say 23-26, some say 16-17 and others 8-9 on the other harness. 23-26 is full range sound and therefore I am leaning towards 16-17 or 8-9. That JL setup has high level and RCA and I plan to go the RCA route. The car is a 2011 G37xS sedan with Bose/Navi.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
not sure if sedan is the same numbering, but for my coupe i tapped the FRONT PREAMP FROM HEADUNIT wires to the amp (33-36) on Bose harness B41.

the back speakers are just for fill and don't get as much juice - i originally tapped them, and had to have my powered sub gain cranked. moved them to the front inputs, and was able to turn it down a bit.

if you tap the "sub" wires, then you'll be using whatever Bose uses for their low pass filter. i'm sure your sub has an adjustable low pass filter, so use the full-range preamp signals and you can set it how you like.

also, posi-taps make it extremely easy without hacking up the wiring.

you can buy RCA to bare wire adapters, or make your own from an old RCA cable.

i used my powered sub from my previous car that i had plugged in to the sub output of the back of the HU with RCA's - had to remove the RCA's to attach to the positaps for the G37.

Last edited by Landshark; 09-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Snaoum
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I will tape the same wires(different numbers on sedan).