G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:34 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Haha yep that's the one. TCSMotorsports is local to me and that car has several of their parts on the car.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Matt seemed to really enjoy driving that car. Always nice when the owner has a lot to say and can carry on a conversation about the specifics of what was done.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I would love to build an SW20 with a Camry V6. They make conversion kits that work with the stock transmission.

Thinking more about it, I don't know that I would ever get rid of the G. Someone on another forum I'm on called it "the last great Japanese sedan" and I kind of agree. The Q50's infotainment is kind of a mess and it's bigger + heavier + peg-legged. Plus I have quite a few years left worth of projects to do. If anything I'm more thinking about replacing my motorcycle. I have put almost 20K miles on it and would love a Street Triple.

But with a kid on the way I'm thinking more about my mortality and considering replacing the bike with an extremish sports car. The dream would be this:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?-ysmob2e.jpg

With a J35 swap. I would definitely give up motorcycles for that.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
But with a kid on the way I'm thinking more about my mortality and considering replacing the bike with an extremish sports car.
I've been seeing a lot of Slingshots lately. Seems the perfect ride for someone who's into bikes but feeling their mortality.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Curious what the comfort is like in them. Seats look really..hard.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:07 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

I would love to build an SW20 with a Camry V6. They make conversion kits that work with the stock transmission.
No offense, but just never understood the whole V6 swap in the SW20's. I guess the fun to me is that turbo spooling up literally right behind your head while driving. I guess you could slap a turbo on the V6, but that would definitely add to the complexity. Maybe I need to ride in a V6 MR2 to change my opinion. On the other hand I did get my Camry 4 cylinder on the engine stand last night Hopefully the block and crank are good so I can turn this thing into a 5SGTE.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
future62

Originally Posted by jfisher
No offense, but just never understood the whole V6 swap in the SW20's. I guess the fun to me is that turbo spooling up literally right behind your head while driving. I guess you could slap a turbo on the V6, but that would definitely add to the complexity. Maybe I need to ride in a V6 MR2 to change my opinion. On the other hand I did get my Camry 4 cylinder on the engine stand last night Hopefully the block and crank are good so I can turn this thing into a 5SGTE.
I don't like turbos. Give me a big high compression V6 any day of the week. I could have easily bought an F30 328i or A4 or something over the G.... but the big V6 is an endangered species.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

I don't like turbos. Give me a big high compression V6 any day of the week. I could have easily bought an F30 328i or A4 or something over the G.... but the big V6 is an endangered species.
I guess haha. These V6's have no low end torque. That's what makes a car fun to me.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
OP, have you driven today's model Mustang yet? The last time I test-drove one there were numerous positive things I could say about the car. However, the negs were pretty high, too. For one, the interior is a big improvement over the previous model, but still pretty crude. Another is the roof-line, which isn't nearly as claustrophobic as the Camaro, but still awkward and cave-like. Another is the long, long hood; it's like piloting a cigarette boat. And most importantly, the build quality is crap. Fenders, trunk, hood, doors... fitment and gap is all wrong.

Fast, though. Really fast. No argument there.
I agree. I keep trying to talk myself into a newer Mustang or Camaro as the performance is there, but they are so crude inside like the C6 Z06's I was considering.

Originally Posted by RMB5190
2012/2013 Boss 302 can be had for $30,000 roughly(with 20k miles). ZL1 (AT) beat the GT350 by about 15 seconds, ZL1 1LE(Manual) posted an even faster time.

Funny, I was just looking at the Boss myself today and the times it can throw down are just insane. Plus, nice knowing you can drive the the car and it will only retain it's value.
Boss 302- yes. Boss 302 Leguna Seca I was talking about were all over $50k No thanks. A new Camaro SS 1LE will run circles around it and actually has independent rear suspension.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think I could live with 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and a 6MT instead of 4.0 seconds and an auto.
Agreed

I guess I'm in a different spot than most. I'm overall pretty satisfied with the G and plan to drive it into the ground. I still think it's a good looking car and after seeing several hit 250k + miles I've got a long way to go even with 121k on the clock. Every single thing on the car still works perfectly and it runs a 13.6 in the 1/4.

If I absolutely had to replace the G I'd probably hold out for the 2018 Honda Accord Sport sedan with the 2.0T and 6mt.

Next car will be a 93+ MR2 SW20. By far the most fun overall car to drive imo. I'm putting together a 5SGTE and hope to find a clean chassis to drop it into here in the next 2-3 years. They're well engineered and are such a classic design. I'd be satisfied with a fun 5-600whp.

I keep trying to convince myself to keep the G37S as it is turning out really nicely for me, but I seem to have a problem keeping cars for 2 years+ lately. The MR2 would be fun though.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I've been seeing a lot of Slingshots lately. Seems the perfect ride for someone who's into bikes but feeling their mortality.

I saw that exact same color Slingshot (is that really what they are called?) in town this weekend. I think it looks really strange and ugly, like something they made for a movie in the 80's or 90's to be "futuristic" like Back to the Future 2 or Judge Dread.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
So my latest idea is to pick up a cheap used Nissan Leaf as a daily driver and instead of a C6 Z06, pick up a Lotus Racing Green Lotus Elise. Something about the lightweight and purity of that car has always interested me- that and I have wanted a Lotus Esprit since I was about 5 years old. I figure the Elise would be infinitely more reliable than the Esprit- especially on track. I discovered last night that both vehicles would fit with 15" to spare in the longer stall in my garage.

This means my very nice G37S sedan would be up for sale. The other option is to keep the G37S and get an extended warranty for next to nothing through work. Thoughts?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I saw that exact same color Slingshot (is that really what they are called?)
Yes. The Polaris Slingshot. They manufacture a number of interesting things, off-road and on:

Polaris ATV RANGER RZR General Snowmobile Slingshot - Official Website

So my latest idea is to pick up a cheap used Nissan Leaf as a daily driver and instead of a C6 Z06, pick up a Lotus Racing Green Lotus Elise.
I know virtually nothing about the Elise, however if its advice you're looking for from people that share some (or most) of your automotive values, I suspect the Lotus would make you insanely happy on track days, and the occasional barnstorming weekend event.

But that still leaves (no pun) 99.9% of your drive-time with a daily driver, and for that you want something with heft and comfort and fun... which I suspect the Leaf would disappoint. It seems disposable; more akin to a tool than a car. In other words, don't sacrifice the rewards of daily driving something you enjoy just to support an occasional toy.

That's my thinking. If you can afford to enjoy your DD, then don't give it up.

Buy the Lotus, keep the G... and stop modifying it for the track.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:56 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
It dosen't have to compare to the G37. I assume most of us want to upgrade to a higher class of car when we get rid of our G's, not sidegrade to another.
The title kind of mislead me. Worthy replacement. That kind of implied you're comparing versus the G37S.

Of the choices, I'd go m3. zcp optional. I don't really see the value of zcp unless you're going to keep the car stock.

At that budget, I'd take a look at used GTR or 911 as well.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:59 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
So my latest idea is to pick up a cheap used Nissan Leaf as a daily driver and instead of a C6 Z06, pick up a Lotus Racing Green Lotus Elise. Something about the lightweight and purity of that car has always interested me- that and I have wanted a Lotus Esprit since I was about 5 years old. I figure the Elise would be infinitely more reliable than the Esprit- especially on track. I discovered last night that both vehicles would fit with 15" to spare in the longer stall in my garage.

This means my very nice G37S sedan would be up for sale. The other option is to keep the G37S and get an extended warranty for next to nothing through work. Thoughts?
What is your physical stature? Have you ever sat in a lotus before? If not, I highly suggest you take a test drive and try to sit in one for more than a couple minutes. From what I understand, it's cramped for even smallish builds.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:05 PM
future62

I guess haha. These V6's have no low end torque. That's what makes a car fun to me.
A four banger boosted to hell will make even less
Old 08-02-2017, 02:06 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
One other note on the Elise. I've been a big fan since they came out in the late 90's, I believe. Everything I've ever read on them says that they're tiny inside though. Not sure how big you are, but I think I remember it's like a 5'10" and under and fit-ish type of car. I'm 6'2+ so that's one I'll always just have to admire from afar.
Regarding the newer mustangs, there are a few parts of the interior that do look absolutely cheap. Overall, I would say it's not bad though. The seats on my wife's 2017 GT premium are super comfy and look nice and the SYNC infotainment/nav system connectivity and functionality is light years ahead of what's in my G. It's really intuitive and works flawlessly.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?