Sponsored By:

Simple yet stealthy - Few questions regarding modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM
NoPantsAllowed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple yet stealthy - Few questions regarding modifications

Greetings Myg37 members!!

I just had a few questions in regards to my 37 coupe.

As the title says, I prefer a simple with slight modifications for my g37 as I like it that way the best. However, I do like a little bit of that stealthy look to it, along with some modifications. And of course, I'm a somewhat broke college student haha, so a budget is required.

With that said, here are some questions:

- I plan on using plasti dip for my wheels to make it either charcoal or black, ive seen it on youtube and it not only looks nice, but seems to last a while as well. This should be a good idea for me?

- I have the chrome grill with the infiniti logo, however I plan to use plasti dip to make the grills black while leaving the infitini logo chrome. Is that a decent idea? That way I wont have to buy a separate grill and save some money.

- Since I will be switching to a sports spoiler, do you think a rooftop spoiler is a good idea? or not really necessary?

- Lastly, I love the sound of infinitis, and believe it sounds better than almost any other exhaust variation/setup. However, although I do love the deep husky sound of the exhaust, I want it to be slightly louder. I did some research and asked around as well, and everyone seems to be telling me to get a straight down pipe installed? I am new to cars and don't have much experience at all in modifying cars, but is that the right term? And will it essentially make my exhaust sound slightly louder? I do not want to change the pitch of the exhaust, but just making it a little bit louder. If so, does anyone recommend me the name of the downpipe or the setup?

Thank you for your inputs and again, you guys are amazing.
Team G37!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:10 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Plasti dip is great to get a temporary look to something before pulling the trigger for a permanent color.

IMO, grab some metallic dip as well to give your emblems and wheels a little more 'natural' look. The flat look is overdone and it's fun seeing what you can do with the layers of metallic or gloss. I did my emblems for about a week with the gloss/metallic and it helps it blend into the car a little more. Eventually removed for vinyl wrap.

Personally not a fan of the roof spoiler but I've seen guys go with both and it doesn't look bad; just not for me.

A straight pipe will make your car drastically louder and the drone will be insane lol. Do a muffler delete for $40-50 my friend
Old 06-29-2017, 04:17 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I've had my grill and Mt. Fuji emblems plastidipped since I got my car. Too lazy to paint/wrap it myself or pay someone to. When I had my stock wheels I had also dipped them. Added a few coats of gloss to avoid the matte look. Also, to add to the "stealthy" look, you can also debadge your car. I didn't completely debadge mine, just removed the "INFINITI" & "G37" emblem from the rear.

Simple yet stealthy - Few questions regarding modifications-photo289.jpg

I am not a fan of the roof spoiler but to each his own.

As far as keeping your exhaust tone and just making it louder, get either test pipes or high flow cats. But beware of rasp with certain products.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:35 AM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, a broke college student. Plastidip is completely fine and reversible. It will last you a while depending on how much effort and coats you put on. The first thing I did was debadge the G37S and infiniti letters and leave the mt fuji emblem in the rear. I had a shop fabricate my oem muffler into shorttails/muffler delete for $80 and it honestly sounds better than most axlebacks on the market. If you plan on doing any cheap exhaust mods do a muffler delete OR a cat delete, not both. Personally I'd throw in cat deletes (cheapest power) on the stock exhaust and call it day if you're on a budget.
The following users liked this post:
NoPantsAllowed (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i'm not crazy about an all-black grille and emblem, but an all-chrome emblem sticks out too much on a black grille ... so i plastidipped just the front face of the Infiniti badge, and left the edges chrome. Also blacked out the two chrome strips on the factory midnight grille ...

NoPantsAllowed (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

^ that looks pretty good and the remaining chrome on the Fuji pulls the other chrome bits together nicely
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM
NoPantsAllowed

Originally Posted by Landshark
i'm not crazy about an all-black grille and emblem, but an all-chrome emblem sticks out too much on a black grille ... so i plastidipped just the front face of the Infiniti badge, and left the edges chrome. Also blacked out the two chrome strips on the factory midnight grille ...

May I ask what color plasti dip you used? was it black? It looks grey/charcoal.

In this case, should I just plasti dip it all black or charcoal? Then just plasti dip the front part of the logo? So how would one just plasti dip the front face? As in the sides are still chrome? Did you use tape on the sides of the emblem?

Details would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by NoPantsAllowed
May I ask what color plasti dip you used? was it black? It looks grey/charcoal.

In this case, should I just plasti dip it all black or charcoal? Then just plasti dip the front part of the logo? So how would one just plasti dip the front face? As in the sides are still chrome? Did you use tape on the sides of the emblem?

Details would be greatly appreciated!

black, with Metalizer or gloss for the upper and lower grill chrome strips ... plain black for badge.

i just carefully taped off the badge ... kind of a PITA, but looks nice now.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark

That is a clean color match with the rest of your car. And people still bash plastidip lol
Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 AM
axis.
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
IMO I would plasti-dip the grill but not the rims. My opinion is that when everything is dipped with no other mods, it just screams cheap mods especially on a luxury car. Unless you can get the dip to look kinda glossy on the rims, I would avoid touching the rims.

Look into a muffler delete or a top speed axleback for some noise. Both are cheap options and the car sounds good
Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 PM
NoPantsAllowed

Alright, so I will plasti dip the grills black with gloss, and just plasti dip (no gloss) on the fuji emblem while leaving the sides chrome.

I will also get the muffler delete like many recommended. Is there a certain type of muffler delete I should buy? Sorry, i'm new to this.

Lastly, I will hold off on the plasti dip on the rims. I was actually thinking of doing plasti dip charcoal on the rims, while using gloss over it.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Alright, so I will plasti dip the grills black with gloss, and just plasti dip (no gloss) on the fuji emblem while leaving the sides chrome.

I will also get the muffler delete like many recommended. Is there a certain type of muffler delete I should buy? Sorry, i'm new to this.

Lastly, I will hold off on the plasti dip on the rims. I was actually thinking of doing plasti dip charcoal on the rims, while using gloss over it.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Muffler deletes are just pipes welded onto the place of your muffler. There isn't a type of muffler delete you can really buy. It's more about choosing a reputable exhaust shop to fabricate it for you using high quality pipes and professional welds.

Again, there is nothing wrong with plastidip just because it is a "cheap" mod. People that own way more luxurious and exotic cars dip their cars all the time cause they get bored of the same colors. It's really about the way plastidip is done and how much effort/time you put into it.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:31 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Yellafella
Muffler deletes are just pipes welded onto the place of your muffler. There isn't a type of muffler delete you can really buy. It's more about choosing a reputable exhaust shop to fabricate it for you using high quality pipes and professional welds.

Again, there is nothing wrong with plastidip just because it is a "cheap" mod. People that own way more luxurious and exotic cars dip their cars all the time cause they get bored of the same colors. It's really about the way plastidip is done and how much effort/time you put into it.
100% accurate.

The only thing I'll add is that the delete costs about $40 bucks or so.

I personally don't care for flat plasti dipped wheels. It looks bad in my opinion. There's a member who did his wheels bronze with the glossifier and they came out pretty good looking. I'd just hold off until you can buy some cheaper used rims or I'd practice with the dip before putting right to your wheels. It requires a little bit of 'touch' to know how far away you need to be, the angles to hold the can and when enough is enough. Very easy to get runs.

Don't worry about apologizing. Everyone starts somewhere and you never know when the bug will hit. Just take your time, do it right and learn as you go.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 PM
NoPantsAllowed

One last question,

If I get a muffler delete, will it have any raspy sounds? I did some research and im getting mixed answers.

I would preferably like to keep the deep sound and essentially just make it slightly louder, nothing crazy.

Secondly, if I get a muffler delete, would I be able to reverse the procedure? Im asking in case if I was ever to sell it, would dealerships avoid the vehicle? Would they even know?

Thanks again fellas!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

One last question,

If I get a muffler delete, will it have any raspy sounds? I did some research and im getting mixed answers.

I would preferably like to keep the deep sound and essentially just make it slightly louder, nothing crazy.

Secondly, if I get a muffler delete, would I be able to reverse the procedure? Im asking in case if I was ever to sell it, would dealerships avoid the vehicle? Would they even know?

Thanks again fellas!
From my experience, no, there was no rasp but there was some drone. Rasp usually comes from something like test pipes. The muffler delete will give you the deep sound and increase in volume you are looking for. Yes you would be able to reverse the procedure if you buy a used oem muffler for your car. Exhaust shops usually fab muffler deletes from your oem muffler but you may be able to request everything to be custom made and take yor muffler off in case you want to sell/trade your car. The dealership will know. And while they might not avoid it, they will decrease the value of your car.
NoPantsAllowed (07-07-2017)