Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 04:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ArashBan
I wasn't trying to be funny. Please assit.
See the bottom of post # 432
Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 PM
ArashBan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. I am not seeing it for some reason?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ArashBan
Ok. I am not seeing it for some reason?
Its because you have too few posts. You have to be registered for so long and make so many posts before you gain access to the classifieds. I think its 10 posts and 10 days.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Its because you have too few posts. You have to be registered for so long and make so many posts before you gain access to the classifieds. I think its 10 posts and 10 days.
Oh good point. I thought he meant he could not see my post, which was really confusing. That makes more sense if he is brand new to the forum.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 PM
ArashBan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Now that the newbie help desk is closed, let's get back on topic. Look what just came in the mail. Hopefully, these do not require too much creativity on my part to fit and I can get them installed soon.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Just picked up this rental from Autozone to hopefully help press in my rear subframe bushing on Saturday. I believe it is designed for ball joints, but it should do the trick. Bushing is sitting in the freezer buried in ice.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, we will finally get a chance today to install the Z1 rear differential bushing, larger capacity Z1 differential cover with cooling fins, and flush the differential fluid with better Redline fluid. Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. I will report back after the install.

I also picked up some exhaust wrap to use near the differential to hopefully reduce the heat enough so I do not melt my abs sensors again. I believe I can re-use the clips for the exhaust wrap so I plan to just use it during a track day so as not to trap moisture inside and rust out the exhaust prematurely.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 240 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ

I also picked up some exhaust wrap to use near the differential to hopefully reduce the heat enough so I do not melt my abs sensors again. I believe I can re-use the clips for the exhaust wrap so I plan to just use it during a track day so as not to trap moisture inside and rust out the exhaust prematurely.

Hope the install goes smooth for you. Those ties in the package aren't going to be reusable though, you'd be cutting them off to remove. If you want to do something that's easy to reuse what about just using a gear clamp or two? Loosen to install/remove and tighten back down on the exhaust when not in use.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hey, that's a really good idea- almost like you had an epiphany.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:27 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The installation went pretty much as planned. I had help from one of my technicians to get out the rear subframe bushing. We cut the bushing and drained it like most people, but then he got creative and used a torch to cut the outer race to get it out. Nice work on his part as he did not even mark the subframe. (He did not want to saw it out and damage the subframe)

I had the bushing packed in ice for a few days to try to shrink it to make it easier to get in. I think that worked as the install was pretty easy with a hammer and some grease. We did not even use the tool from Autozone at all because the drive spline was too big to use on the metal bushing insert. Fortunately, we had a similar tool for a Mitsubishi that we could use. Everything else was pretty easy.

I do not really notice any difference with the rear subframe bushing. I noticed a very slight difference with the bushings in front of the differential. I will try to pay more attention now. I would say this is good preventative maintenance, but wait until you actually need the parts or have the differential out for something else as there is really no performance benefit.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,660 Likes on 3,483 Posts
Good for you on the main diff bushing, 4DRZ. Not an easy job at all.

I know you got the finned diff cover for cooling, but it sure looks impressive. Can the cars behind you see it?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I know you got the finned diff cover for cooling, but it sure looks impressive. Can the cars behind you see it?
I thought the same thing for a second while installing it. But no, our diff is buried way too far forward in the car too see it from behind.

The idea actually made me think about my favorite Ferrari and arguably the most beautiful, the 288 GTO, that has the back of the transmission poking out the rear to similar effect.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 509 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ

I do not really notice any difference with the rear subframe bushing. I noticed a very slight difference with the bushings in front of the differential. I will try to pay more attention now. I would say this is good preventative maintenance, but wait until you actually need the parts or have the differential out for something else as there is really no performance benefit.
Odd observation, as I thought the rear differential bushings made a noticeable difference.

I suspect that with the Z1 transmission mount, this doesn't make as much of a difference as those of us with the stock transmission mount.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,660 Likes on 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Odd observation, as I thought the rear differential bushings made a noticeable difference.

I suspect that with the Z1 transmission mount, this doesn't make as much of a difference as those of us with the stock transmission mount.
Keep in mind, 4DRZ already had the other two diff bushings in place, and your OEM main bushing was blown for a while. So you two are coming at this assessment from completely different perspectives.

Personally, for the first few days after the Whiteline pieces were installed, I had a distinct impression the car was more tight on the shifts and in low-speed, quick maneuvers.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan