Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clunking noise coming from rear while shifting (6MT sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Clunking noise coming from rear while shifting (6MT sedan)

My '13 6MT sedan (52k miles) recently started making a clunking noise in the rear while shifting hard. It happens mostly between 1st and 2nd, but I can also hear it between all gears (lessens the higher up in gear I go). If I shift conservatively, it won't make the noise. At first I thought it was something in the trunk rattling around, but today I took everything out and it's still making that noise.

I tried searching this forum but can't find anything. I Google searched and found two common possibilities, albeit for different cars.

1. Rear differential
2. Sub-frame bushings

Anyone else ever experience this? Thoughts? I'm going to take it into my mechanic, but I figured I'd throw it out there for discussion here.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,676 Likes on 3,496 Posts
The main diff bushing is fluid filled, and according to this forum it's a point of failure. When it "fails" it will slowly ooze fluid forever, and become increasingly compromised. There's no immediate emergency here... you can drive on it like that for as long as you're willing to put up with it.

Whiteline sells a replacement diff bushings kit for about $100. These are solid poly bushings, and an upgrade over the OEM parts. However, a shop will charge you up to half a day for the install, because its a really awkward and time consuming job. Infiniti/Nissan won't replace the bushing, but they will replace the entire subframe component and charge you a small fortune for it all.

Not saying this is your problem... but I bet it is. G'luck.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-12-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:36 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Here's the link to the Whiteline thread.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-bushings.html

There is a discussion in regards to the orientation of the front bushing. So if this is your problem and you go this route to resolve it, it's highly recommended that you read through this thread.

There may be other threads as well, so a search on Whiteline is also advisable (if this is your issue that is).
Old 05-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Furlow

If it's the differential bushing, is that easily diagnosed? Or do I replace it and just hope that's it?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
If it's the differential bushing, is that easily diagnosed? Or do I replace it and just hope that's it?
There would be bushing splooge dripping down your diff casing. Spots under the car where you typically park. Lots of pics of this online here. IIRC, LegoManiac had his replaced recently, and was driving on it blown for a while.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Furlow

And is this the kit?
https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...37-p-5801.html
Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
That's it. Had mine installed last week. Pope mentioned installing the two side bushings in opposite orientation to the instructions. I found that info too, before the install, and is how I went.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Furlow

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's it. Had mine installed last week. Pope mentioned installing the two side bushings in opposite orientation to the instructions. I found that info too, before the install, and is how I went.
I just read through that thread that Pope linked to, and I only see something about flipping the top and bottom "washers" if you're a 6MT owner. Is that what you're referring to? Seems like some guys are left with some parts unused and others use them all, depending on if they have an auto or 6MT. Or am I missing something?

Edit: Found another thread where you guys discussed switching the thicker bushing to the top position. I'll be sure to talk to my mechanic about that. Now about this "carrier bearing..."

Last edited by Furlow; 05-12-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Found more info
Old 05-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Furlow

So I'm assuming this means it's indeed my differential? Lol.

Rochester in regards to the gears, any advantage to doing them along with the differential? Meaning is there an overlap in parts that have to come off? Just wondering if I should pull the trigger now on the gears to save on install cost. I would prefer more time to think about it though.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
^^That confirms it. Did you by chance buy any extended warranty? That would cover it too. The dealership fix is to replace the entire rear subframe assembly.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^That confirms it. Did you by chance buy any extended warranty? That would cover it too. The dealership fix is to replace the entire rear subframe assembly.
I did not. Too many modifications, they'd weasel their way out. Plus I'm liking the sound of solid bushings back there. I was getting wheel hop prior to this, hoping this takes care of both issues.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:50 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
is there a way you can make a video of that sound?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
This issue isn't limited to the mt cars - all variants use the same bushing back there. Age and environment definitely contribute to its deterioration. Driving style too. Hard acceleration and shifting load and unload the bushing with greater force than normal shifting. Eventually the rubber fails and bursts.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by staskz
is there a way you can make a video of that sound?
I'd probably have to have someone sit in back to take the video, because there are so many other sounds that would drown it out in a video (exhaust, engine, road noise). But just imagine someone dropping a weight inside the trunk. That's the best way I can describe it.

That said, the best way to diagnose this is to just look underneath the car, as others here suggested. This has probably been a problem for a while now, as I can remember getting wheel hope for over a year. I thought I was just doing something weird with the clutch.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by Jsolo
This issue isn't limited to the mt cars - all variants use the same bushing back there. Age and environment definitely contribute to its deterioration. Driving style too. Hard acceleration and shifting load and unload the bushing with greater force than normal shifting. Eventually the rubber fails and bursts.
This definitely describes me lol.