Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Here's that brushed aluminum red post, and yeah, it's a looker!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4056904
Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's that brushed aluminum red post, and yeah, it's a looker!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4056904
ARgh! Thanks, Brad. You know, I've gone down the rabbit hole trying to find that picture like 3 times.

I like it. If I had a black interior, I'd probably pursue this or some similar idea, over the OEM sliver aluminum-ish look.

NOT the radio-dash or the center console. Just the long pieces that go from the doors into the dash.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Flat black 3M CF wrap on my car currently, it's really nice as you can feel the texture of print rather than it being smooth.

View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
And yea the MAFs are keyed so there is no way to install it backwards. They might even be keyed per side, not sure.
You are right. I tried turning the MAF sensors around this weekend after cleaning them again and installing them in opposite sides to see if the codes were due to the MAF sensors themselves or the intakes. (Spencer's idea from Z1) The holes do not line up if you install them in the wrong orientation. It is easy to see the design of the MAF sensors for air flow as well when you look at the cutouts in them.

Originally Posted by Rochester
ARgh! Thanks, Brad. You know, I've gone down the rabbit hole trying to find that picture like 3 times.

Thanks Brad for finding the pic and Rochester for posting. Not quite what I want to do though.

Originally Posted by Goonz
Flat black 3M CF wrap on my car currently, it's really nice as you can feel the texture of print rather than it being smooth.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQo1FcmlcU7/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQo1DLGlnt3/
That looks good in those pics. Do you have any other pics more close up under better light? I had a flat black carbon wrap in my Evo that looked pretty decent, but looked really fake up close. It was not very shiny. Some of the shinier carbon wraps I have seen look pretty good. Maybe it is just the light, but your wrap looks pretty shiny and clean close up.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That looks good in those pics. Do you have any other pics more close up under better light? I had a flat black carbon wrap in my Evo that looked pretty decent, but looked really fake up close. It was not very shiny. Some of the shinier carbon wraps I have seen look pretty good. Maybe it is just the light, but your wrap looks pretty shiny and clean close up.

Man your still at the wrap thing ehh? Well not trying to be Debbie downer here, but NO wrap will equal the real thing. Plain and simple.

If you want the cheap route, obviously go Vinyl but I would never do CF vinyl as no mater what you get (brand, 3d,4d,5d, textured, smooth) it ALWAYS looks cheap imo. Sure maybe from a distance + the right angle + the perfect light + professional photography...sure then maybe you have the stars aligned. Aside from those minor factors, when you look up close

If going Vinyl, do any other color besides CF.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Haha, no I am really leaning toward a real carbon fiber wrap because I have yet to see a vinyl carbon wrap that looks decent in person. The wrap that Goonz has looks pretty good, but I fear it may look a lot different close up or in better light.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Well it is a hard decision and can be a big purchase pending what your wanting. Goodluck either way.

Think if you chose real CF, as long as the craftsmanship is good, you'll never regret the purchase.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well I splurged yesterday and got some fancy Bosch Icon wipers. I really hope they last longer than the factory inserts I got when I got the car about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. We do not get a ton of rain here in WI and I have Diamond Fusion (Rain X that actually lasts longer than 2 weeks) on my windshield so normally wipers last a long time for me.

This is probably the biggest upgrade I have done on my car to date. I am expecting my mpg's to double due to the advanced aerodynamics and I heard they add at least 100 HP!

Here are some blurry cell phone pics of the "UUGE" difference in style/design

Before

After

The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (03-06-2018)
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Well I splurged yesterday and got some fancy Bosch Icon wipers. I really hope they last longer than the factory inserts I got when I got the car about 1 1/2 yrs. ago.
Lucky, I typically go through 2-3 sets a year. They also get used daily for months at a time.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Man your still at the wrap thing ehh? Well not trying to be Debbie downer here, but NO wrap will equal the real thing. Plain and simple.

If you want the cheap route, obviously go Vinyl but I would never do CF vinyl as no mater what you get (brand, 3d,4d,5d, textured, smooth) it ALWAYS looks cheap imo. Sure maybe from a distance + the right angle + the perfect light + professional photography...sure then maybe you have the stars aligned. Aside from those minor factors, when you look up close

If going Vinyl, do any other color besides CF.
Well if we wanna be realistic, the only REAL carbon is DRY carbon fiber... Not this overlay "show" carbon everyone has.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Lucky, I typically go through 2-3 sets a year. They also get used daily for months at a time.
What?!? Do you live under a waterfall?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:16 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
What?!? Do you live under a waterfall?
Nah just in a winter wonderland. Wipers are used on snow/ice almost daily from like October-April. In fact it snowed overnight and is supposed to for the next few days again. It's the ice that really kills the wipers.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
WOW! What do you gus only get 3 months of no snow?
Old 04-25-2017, 04:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Nah just in a winter wonderland. Wipers are used on snow/ice almost daily from like October-April. In fact it snowed overnight and is supposed to for the next few days again. It's the ice that really kills the wipers.
That's true- ice will kill wipers pretty fast so I always make sure to scrape well before driving. Our winter was fairly mild and short this year. However, we have had big snow storms in May and June before (pretty rare though).

It is amazing how bad my stock wipers got. I did not realize how bad they were until I got the new ones. So far no complaints.

Today I did another oil change with my enormous FRAM filter so I have more capacity for the oil cooler.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I have been having an issue with my passenger side MAF sensor after I did the Z1 cold air intakes, tune, and intake plenum. The car kept going into limp mode. MAF sensor cleaner seemed to work for about a week the 1st time and then it would go into limp mode almost every time I drove it. Two Sundays ago I swapped the MAF sensors to opposite sides and cleaned them again. Now I am getting close to two weeks without an issue (knocks on wood).

The biggest issue now just seems being able to get ahold of John at Z1 who did the tune. He had me send him a screen shot of the code in the ECU that I was getting last week Mon. and told me twice last week he would get back to me. I left him two messages this week and finally just got through to him today after being on hold for 15 minutes. It sounded like he still had not even looked at the screen shot and now he wants to send a cable out to me to data log the car.

Hopefully, the car just continues to work or they can find something from the data logs.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan