G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Looking to cut weight what I'd the best ways to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
A lot of people mention that a good set of properly adjusted coilovers make the car feel a lot lighter. Maybe not what you're after, but then again it might be exactly what your after.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris9884
Apples and Oranges bro.. Hmm, show me an econo-box, SUV, crossover or pickup that is faster and more efficient than a G37, at our price point of say, $15k or less...
used WRX, FXT, Evo, Corvette, etc.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark

Meh

Those are all a drivers races.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Meh

Those are all a drivers races.

my mostly stock Evo would smoke the G37.

G is fast enough to get me to work and stuff, though.

they both have their pros and cons.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 508 Likes on 437 Posts
my mostly stock Evo would smoke the G37.

G is fast enough to get me to work and stuff, though.

they both have their pros and cons.
Do you have less than $15k in it?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:28 AM
gill1606
Registered Member

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
I was watching GT channel and one dude switched out his doors to save weight as well. Maybe this thread can come up with a comprehensive list of various ways to lighten a car in general and then apply that to the G. The car I was talking about was an r34, I think he replaced stock doors with fiber glass ones.

The g has a larger or equal luxury focus to its sport, so the chassis was not made with lightness in mind., so it maybe hard to get past that. But cars are a hobby, which means aww what the hell I've got the time and money let's see how light I can get this sucker.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Do you have less than $15k in it?
no, but even modded it was less than my G37.

G37 27k miles, $29k
Evo X MR 7k miles, $27k

you can find $15k Evos, and $15k G37's ... and both will be rough as hell.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts

None of those are econo-boxes, SUV's etc, theyre sports cars lol.. That was my main question lol

no, but even modded it was less than my G37.

G37 27k miles, $29k
Evo X MR 7k miles, $27k

you can find $15k Evos, and $15k G37's ... and both will be rough as hell.
My G37 was $15k a year ago and its clean AF at 79k miles.. I'll def vouch for some rough EVO's though, cant find any worth owning at that price point. But again, for $15k, I cant think of any econobox or SUV we need to worry about. I'd even give your $27k Evo X a run for its money pending how well your launch was haha
Old 03-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

None of those are econo-boxes, SUV's etc, theyre sports cars lol.. That was my main question lol
Evo's and STi's are the DEFINITION of hopped-up econoboxes. FXT is the turbo-charged Subaru Foreter SUV.

My G37 was $15k a year ago and its clean AF at 79k miles.. I'll def vouch for some rough EVO's though, cant find any worth owning at that price point. But again, for $15k, I cant think of any econobox or SUV we need to worry about. I'd even give your $27k Evo X a run for its money pending how well your launch was haha
i looked at a $20k G37 with 35k miles - it was rough as hell. interior, rusty engine compartment, etc. you got extremely lucky.

with a $300 Accessport ECU flash, the Evo would seriously destroy the G. I know, i owned them both at the same time. less weight, more power, more torque ... you can't argue with physics.

quite a different car, and i like the G37 for what it is - more comfortable, more solid-feeling, and still no slouch as far as quickness.
The following users liked this post:
TelephasicG (04-11-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Evo's and STi's are the DEFINITION of hopped-up econoboxes. FXT is the turbo-charged Subaru Foreter SUV.

i looked at a $20k G37 with 35k miles - it was rough as hell. interior, rusty engine compartment, etc. you got extremely lucky.

with a $300 Accessport ECU flash, the Evo would seriously destroy the G. I know, i owned them both at the same time. less weight, more power, more torque ... you can't argue with physics.

quite a different car, and i like the G37 for what it is - more comfortable, more solid-feeling, and still no slouch as far as quickness.
I think were on different pages, the definition of an econo-box is a cheap/economical car that's emission and MPG friendly (econo) with less than desirable features with no intention of being modded (box). WRX and EVO's are not economic at all in my mind. I bet a stock EVO 8 would pull a G but never raced one, they're always broken lol

As for dirty/rusty G's, I don't believe that for a minute. Go to the for sale section right now and look at any G under $20k. Most have tons of mods, very clean with lots of life left. You must have been looking in NY or something where they see hella salt and pot holes and think they have something worth what it isn't..

The FXT is a joke, it runs 15's and would be left in the dust in the corners, not even close to running with a G in any shape or form. Even over those things ITS STILL well over the $15k price..

As for you EVO X, why are you even talking about it? Its not related to the subject, not sure why you brought it up at all?? It was $27k, you're way out of the $15k budget I asked for. If I put another $10k into my G I'd still be less funded than your EVO and would completely rape it, there's no discussion there, you and everyone here knows that. If were talking about cars $30k or less, that would change everything.

Not angry or anything, just a little gear head debate here bro

Source sited: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econobox

"such as the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit and Nissan Versa, whose base models are no-frills vehicles."

Last edited by Kris9884; 03-12-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

I think were on different pages, the definition of an econo-box is a cheap/economical car that's emission and MPG friendly (econo) with less than desirable features with no intention of being modded (box). WRX and EVO's are not economic at all in my mind. I bet a stock EVO 8 would pull a G but never raced one, they're always broken lol
i don't know why you're comparing a luxury performance car to an econobox anyway? i said the Evo/WRX/Sti are *hopped-up* econoboxes.
had my Evo X for 6 years and was the most reliable car i've owned - problems with key fob and active center differential pump, both replaced under warranty.

As for dirty/rusty G's, I don't believe that for a minute. Go to the for sale section right now and look at any G under $20k. Most have tons of mods, very clean with lots of life left. You must have been looking in NY or something where they see hella salt and pot holes and think they have something worth what it isn't..
well, that's what i found locally when i was shopping. i was looking for AWD, so those fetch more i guess. i wouldn't buy an already-modded car, because i have no idea how about the quality of install, and they *typically* are thrashed to death by enthusiasts.

The FXT is a joke, it runs 15's and would be left in the dust in the corners, not even close to running with a G in any shape or form. Even over those things ITS STILL well over the $15k price..

unlike the G, these have a huge amount of performance parts to choose from. local shop has one with 622hp to the wheels.

As for you EVO X, why are you even talking about it? Its not related to the subject, not sure why you brought it up at all?? It was $27k, you're way out of the $15k budget I asked for. If I put another $10k into my G I'd still be less funded than your EVO and would completely rape it, there's no discussion there, you and everyone here knows that. If were talking about cars $30k or less, that would change everything.
mine was a low-mileage MR, and my G was a low mileage xS - was comparing THOSE because they were a similar price ... but you CAN get either of them cheaper. they're different, but i like both. i also like V8's, too. fun is fun.

if you put another $10k in your G, you'd have an extra 15 or 20hp. for a couple hundred bucks you can flash 50hp to a stock Evo in less than 10 minutes sitting in the driver's seat. add some bolt-ons, and you can get 400+hp with the stock turbo.

Not angry or anything, just a little gear head debate here bro
same - just yappin' about cars.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
This is exactly what I'm after with my 2013 6MT sedan, some slight but noticeable weight reduction. So far I've purchased:
Fast Intentions catback
Full SPL control arms
True type coilovers

I'll be purchasing lighter wheels, 2-piece rotors, and a lightweight flywheel, and upgraded clutch in the future.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Have you added up what those will save you weight wise?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
you'll see the most power benefits out of lightening all rotating items;
- pulleys
- clutch/fw
- 1pc driveshaft
- wheels/tires
- rotors

pair all that with removing unnecessary interior items, most mentioned above, and full titanium exhaust is really the best you're going to do without taking away the daily driver.
If you're super concerned then there are poly/cf body panels available too but won't be worth the 5k for parts/paint
Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Muffinhead747

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man there's so much you could do, rear seat delete, lose the spare wheel, you can get lighter wheels, the focus more of engine stuff, lightweight pulleys, exhaust, racing seats etc.. the list goes on and on lol