G37 Sedan

Ever hear something rolling around inside a body panel occasionally in turns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 10:33 PM
limequat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4DRZ, I feel your pain. I had a similar noise. While replacing the passenger seat airbag I found a pencil in the duct that blows air on the rear passengers' feet.

Now I have a noise on the driver side. I expect to find a corresponding pencil in the driver side duct.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by limequat
4DRZ, I feel your pain. I had a similar noise. While replacing the passenger seat airbag I found a pencil in the duct that blows air on the rear passengers' feet.

Now I have a noise on the driver side. I expect to find a corresponding pencil in the driver side duct.
Good idea. I never thought of that, but I will check there too.

Last night at work I used compressed air and blew out every possible area things could be hiding. Got a few more small rocks out of the heat shields and did not hear any noises almost all the way home. Got a block from my house and, of course, heard some things rolling around again.

Today I made some progress in getting rid of some more causes of the noises, but unfortunately not the main noise that sounds like a ball bearing rolling around on metal behind the driver's seat. So if anyone has any ideas about this, please let me know.

I started by taking off both side sills. The driver's side was still clean from the last time I took it off, but a lot of small rocks came out of the passenger side. I noticed there was a small gap between the bottom of the side sill and where it meets the metal so I installed some foam insulation to keep the problem from happening. I also discovered that the driver's side splash guard had a big tear where it mounts underneath so I fixed that with some Gorilla glue.

That got rid of some of the sounds, but the rolling ball bearing sound behind or under the driver's seat persists. So I decided to start over and really tear the car down until I found it.

I took everything out of the trunk again and this time found a large screw stuck to the bottom of the spare tire. Took the car for a drive, but that was not it.

Then I took out the back seat again, but this time I took out the felt liner that was glued to the chassis and found a quarter. I was not so sure that was the causing the issue and, surprise, it was not.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
What, no picture of the quarter?
Old 11-17-2016, 11:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I was planning on it if that was finally what was causing the noise, but I'll make a special exception just for you.

I was so sure that the screw was causing the noise. I figured it would roll just hard enough to get stuck between the spare and the car which would explain why I did not always hear it. Figured the quarter was not it and so disappointed to find that neither one was the issue. Well, today is a new day
Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Thank you for the photographic evidence. And you're right... that's a Quarter.

You're doing a great job.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Thank you for the photographic evidence. And you're right... that's a Quarter.

You're doing a great job.
No, that's THE quarter. It would be so much more significant if it actually stopped the noise.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I may need a few beers to get through this today.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I made some progress today, but there is still something causing the noise.

Took out all the seats and carpet except for front passenger and switched over to snow tires because it is supposed to snow Sat. (Wierd since it is 65 today and tomorrow) Driver's seat weighs 75lbs?!? Definitely some weight saving possibilities there.

Found these 5 things hiding under the carpet under the driver's seat and thought this would be it. Still making noise so maybe there are some of these on the passenger side.

There is a large factory slit in the carpet for one tiny cable. I think this is where they got under the carpet. Not anymore.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Last night I took out the passenger seat, center console/armrest/shifter surround, and carpet, but found nothing on the passenger side. Then I took out the rest of the back seat, trim under the rear window, remaining interior trim, driver's side rear door trim, seat belts, fuel tank covers, trunk trim, and side sill plates. Used a vacuum/blower at all access panels and still found nothing. Stumped...

The following users liked this post:
Detail (11-28-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i like your determination and 'never give up' attitude. I really hope you find whats causing the noise or very soon you will take apart the whole car
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Presto
i like your determination and 'never give up' attitude. I really hope you find whats causing the noise or very soon you will take apart the whole car
I already have. Stripped the entire interior down to bare metal. I think one or two of those beads somehow got into a hole and is under the metal floor board. I tried using two different vacuums, but no luck. I am going to see if one of my techs has a small camera with a light to try to see anything. Maybe I can flood the space with white lithium to keep anything from moving around
Old 11-20-2016, 10:40 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
maybe its inside your engine bay. time to take it all out as well...
Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Haha I think you're onto something there. Time to add some Turbos so I forget about the noise.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:46 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Anything you learned about the build quality of the car stripping it down to that point or just learned something about the car? Its always interesting to see stuff like that to me.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes, I learned that Nissan did a pretty good job engineering how everything fits together. Disassembly and re-assembly was pretty straight forward. I have had other cars that were a disaster to do the same thing. Lots of parts would break. Everything on this car went back together just fine. However, I do have 4 black plastic pop rivets left over that I have no idea where they are supposed to go. Whoops!

If I ever decide to redo the stereo or strip it out and make it a dedicated track car (will never happen) I now know exactly how everything comes apart.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

FINALLY SUCCESS!!! I found some more of those necklace beads and a plastic cap inside the frame rail that the back of the driver's seat mounts to. I used wire and duct tape to go fishing and it worked. No more noise when I corner. Woohoo!

The following 3 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
bigc (11-25-2016), Detail (11-28-2016), Krzysztof47 (10-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Ever hear something rolling around inside a body panel occasionally in turns?