Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 239 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I had to replace the two front tires this morning, not by choice. My rear ABS sensors melted at Road America from the differential getting hot. This caused the ABS to fail and I flat spotted one of the tires. Bummer. At least I did not slide off the track and hit a wall. Could have been worse...

I will soon also be upgrading the fluid in the rear diff to Redline and adding 2 new ABS sensors. Necessary upgrades are so boring compared to performance upgrades.

Any plans to avoid the issue in the future? Finned diff cover with larger fluid capacity or perhaps some type of heat shield for the sensors?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Yes, exactly. I have high temp fluid on order. If I go back to Road America I plan to get the Z1 finned diff cover and even better fluid.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Today I did some track day prep with a Z1 insulated clutch cable, Redline 75W/90 Rear Diff fluid, Redline D4 ATF fluid for the power steering, Allstar Performance brake bleeder caps, and Motul RBF600 for the brakes and clutch. Hopefully, now it can handle the heat a little better.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I have really been struggling to track down a noise that sounds like a ball bearing rolling around on metal behind the driver's seat either under the car or inside. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

So far I have removed small rocks from the heat shields with compressed air as well as the side sills. I noticed a good sized gap between the side sills and where they meet the metal so I put foam insulation there to keep that problem from reoccurring.

I also found some remnants of the previous owner- a big screw under the spare tire and a quarter hiding under the felt liner under the rear seat. Unfortunately, these two items are not what is causing the noise. The search continues...

I also discovered that the driver's side splash guard was torn underneath so I fixed that with some gorilla glue.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I hate the "noise game" but applaud your efforts!
The following users liked this post:
changsta (12-14-2020)
Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Haha thanks! Starting with removing the driver's seat and carpeting today. Should be quite the project.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Spent a lot of time today taking out most of the interior and all seats except for the front passenger. The driver's seat weighs 75 lbs so I think the front seats will be the first things replaced if I decide to put the G37S on a diet.

These little bastards were hiding under the carpet under the driver's seat and I figured this would be the end of the noise, but of course it could not be that simple. Something is still rolling around when I corner. Maybe some of these are under the front passenger seat too.

Not sure why, but there is a large slit in the carpet for one tiny cable from the factory. I think this is where the noise makers got under the carpet. Fixed it!

changsta (12-14-2020)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
75lbs?? Is that a best guess or did you look in up online?

EDIT:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ort-model.html

another weight, hence the question ^^^

Last edited by Nico-derm; 11-18-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
75lbs?? Is that a best guess or did you look in up online?

EDIT:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ort-model.html

another weight, hence the question ^^^
No, I weighed it with a scale. Your link is also from a coupe which probably has additional motors and electronics so you can slide it forward from the back seat. My car is a sedan.

I would imagine the passenger seat might weigh slightly less due to not having the adjustable side bolsters. I will probably take the passenger seat out tonight or Sunday if I have time since I am still tracking down this noise. I can see if that one is different if I remember.

Either way, I think I can save a ton of weight with different seats. I am just not sure what to do with all the plug ins for the seats so the car does not think something is wrong. Any ideas or has anyone tried this on the sedan? I would definitely consider it if I could keep the computers in the car happy.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Any ideas or has anyone tried this on the sedan?
Something like this?

Name:  IMG_6316_zpsftnfxwf3.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  236.3 KB
Old 11-18-2016, 03:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Rochester, that is a pretty cool seat, but I was thinking of something in cloth like below. I'm not a big fan of leather. A set of these would shave about 100lbs. out of the car. Now about the wiring....

Old 11-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Those leather racing seats are custom made for 2GoRNot2G. They're freaking gorgeous, IMO.

You know... not to toss cold water on an otherwise righteous idea, but racing seats in a sedan usually look pretty dumb, and impractical as hell. I know you track your car, which obviously changes what this all means, but still... It's a basic bread & butter family sedan, after all. Passengers in that narrow seat are going to hate you, man. At first it will seem cool, but 5 bone jarring minutes later, not so much. And if your passenger has normal hips (like a woman), or an old-man gut (like most of us), it just isn't going to work.

Have you considered getting *ONE* sport seat instead, just for the driver's side? You're obviously handy at taking the seats out, so swapping in the single sport seat makes sense when you're taking the car to the track, while going completely commando on the passenger side. And if you leave the sport seat installed while not at the track, so be it. You're the driver, after all.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:24 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Something like this?

wow this looks fantastic. do you know who makes them?
Old 11-19-2016, 05:30 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
wow this looks fantastic. do you know who makes them?
A company called Cobra
Presto (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 04:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Have you considered getting *ONE* sport seat instead, just for the driver's side? You're obviously handy at taking the seats out, so swapping in the single sport seat makes sense when you're taking the car to the track, while going completely commando on the passenger side. And if you leave the sport seat installed while not at the track, so be it. You're the driver, after all.
Not a bad idea, but those Sparcos are pretty user friendly. In fact, they may be too wide for me in the lower back. With these types of seats you really just have to make sure the lower side bolsters are not too tall or hard. The Recaros in my Evo were really supportive, but the lower side bolsters were tall and like cement which was almost too much for a daily driver to get in and out.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan