Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New G37xS owner in East Texas

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:29 PM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New G37xS owner in East Texas

Hello, everyone! After days of searching and I finally got the G I didn’t know I was looking for, at a great price! She is a stock 2013 G37xS Silver/Black CPO 40k miles on the odo. It came from a little, old lady single leaser in Kansas, and is pretty much mint. (It was wrecked and fixed in Kansas. Had a mechanic who does pre-purchase inspections on luxury cars do his thorough evaluation on it before I bought it.)

Let the modding begin! She is going to be a daily driver in city and on the Interstate. I'm not going to be going as crazy, as I did with my other G37 (a 2010 graphite/black base sedan). It is getting tinted 25/IDK% this week (the max allowed in Texas). I have been searching for some answers to specific noob mod questions and I’ve been coming up short. Any answers or links to good discussions would be appreciated.

Also important… my soon-to-be-licensed son is getting the ’10 G as a hand-me-down. I am taking most of the performance equipment off the ’10 and putting it on my ’13.

On or was on the ’10 G (I’ve already started the swapping):
  • K&N CAI (Swapped with ’13)
  • Berk HFC (Swapping with ’13)
  • Invidia Q300 catback (Swapping with ’13, if possible; UPDATE: My sincere thanks to ZahyMatar for answering my question about what exhaust swapping is possible between these two rides!)
  • Bully Dog tune (It makes a difference in throttle response, beyond that, IDK. My new driver son doesn’t need a tune, except maybe an 80 mph throttle limit)
  • 20” rims (Swapped with the S version… these 18” rims look good on the ’13… it is Desert Shadow Metallic/Black with tinted windows; a nice combination. I’ll post pics of both cars)
  • Anti-sway/roll (These stay – I’m into straight line performance; I’m not into pushing lateral G’s)
  • coilovers that dropped the filly 1 ½” (Stay – I’m also not into scraping up the bottom of my new G)

Performance
My ‘13 handles very well; but, I may be looking at upgrades. I put sways and coils that dropped my 2010 about 1 ½”. Looks really good and handles better; but, she scrapes often; at least, once a day leaving my Starbucks. Any recommendations? So that equipment stays on the ’10.

I expect the ’13 to have the K&N CAI, Berk HFC’s, Invidia Q300 CBE, and the stock Bully Dog tune before I wonder about other upgrades… turbo and supercharging are too expensive; is the a plenum spacer for the ’13 G37xS, and does it boost HP much?
On my son’s ’10, I don’t really want much in the way of performance changes, other than an inexpensive CBE, CAI, and leaving the suspension changes on. I may play with the ECU to limit throttle and top speed, so I guess that would be an anti-performance modification.

Exhaust
I want the Berk HFC’s and Invidia Q300 on my xS, and the stock exhaust back on the ’10, which I know is poosible without a trip to the garage, thanks to ZahyMatar. And, I do want my son’s G to have a sweet sound for the least cost. I don’t see how axleback could work because I disconnected the mufflers on my ’13 for a few days and it sounded different, but not a lot. Disconnecting the system further forward made her intolerably loud! So the resonators and extra pipe cut the exhaust sound big time.

Tune
Stock Bully Dog tune on the ’13.

Back to factory on the ’10, and considered anti-performance mods to the ECU for safety reasons.

Appearance

The ’10:
I tinted my ’13 the same as my ’10; darkest allowed by law.
The sport wheels from the ’13 look great on the ’10 because of color scheme. The ’10 is graphite, and the 18” sport wheels look great with that color.
I installed LED Concepts Colormorph halos x 3 on the ’10. Fantastic look. Stopped 3 times for having them. First time was a good stop, before I was familiar with the law as I had the halos slowly rolling through 16,777,216 colors. Next two stops were unofficial, and all three cops don’t know Texas law on lights, I believe. My take on the statute is: lights on the front of the car can’t be red, flash, or be blinding. First officer said only white is legal on the front of the car, (the turn signals are amber, and, of course, I kept that observation to myself. I was polite and got a warning, and never let those halos flash, roll, or be red again on the road.) I digress.
Grill painted black with Plasti Dip.
Put LED’s inside the car. Meh.

The ’13:
The black 20” rims look great on my silver ’13.
The windows tinted as dark as possible.
That’s it so far.
I am NOT doing halos on this car. It took about 12 hours to do it on the ’10 and still cost money to let Big Daddy in Longview pretty up the wiring.
I am not dropping this car. The scraping sound on the ’10 doesn’t bother me. I don’t want to hear it on the ’13.

Take into consideration neither car be at the strip very often… the closest drap strip is 1 ½ hours away, and only open to my cars on Friday nights. My ‘13 is now a fun/sexy daily driver in the city. Sound, looks, and performance are my main priority; reliability/longevity are not my main focus. I have driven my ’10 hard, and given her routine maintenance. She has 145,000 miles and works perfectly.

This is a long, possibly disorganized post. If you’ve read this far, wow! I am already indebted, as I mentioned, to ZahyMatar for answering my exhaust question.

Glad to be a part of this community. I look forward to learning a lot and possibly being a contribution to members here and there.

(Pictures coming.)

Frank Murphy
Longview, Texas
Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum Frank.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Welcome.
I think instead of "detuning", it might be worth educating the kid on what to and not to do. :P The more barriers you create, the more creative he'll try getting on bypassing these barriers. .02

Pictures, please! I'm curious to see a stock height car with 20s on it.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Welcome to the site Frank, nice intro, and cool to have 2 Gs in the family. Glad you found us.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 PM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Originally Posted by kiseliok
Welcome.
I think instead of "detuning", it might be worth educating the kid on what to and not to do. :P The more barriers you create, the more creative he'll try getting on bypassing these barriers. .02

I didn't see that! Refreshing... I like that point of view! I'll take it.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 PM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site Frank, nice intro, and cool to have 2 Gs in the family. Glad you found us.
Thanks, blnewt! I'm excited to join this community. I've been a loaner long enough.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:22 PM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

Originally Posted by kiseliok
Welcome.

First opp to take pics since I got replies..

Cropped...

It's a CVS parking lo... I love this car.

I love these rims... and the stock Sport wheels look good on the graphite 2010.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:11 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Good looking G!
That gap though.. If it wasn't for black wheels, it would be a bit much, I think.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Welcome to the forum Frank and congrats on yet another G! Pictures look real good but I have to agree a subtle drop (possibly some swift springs) would do you sedan so much justice for sure!
Old 11-28-2016, 02:36 AM
FrankRoshi
Premier Member

More pics and clips

The old and the new. My son gets the old which has a beautiful exhaust system in it. I thought I'd swap them out, but he's driving to school and the two things he loved the most are the exhaust sound and the brakes. I lost heart to that away from him; so I've been thinking inexpensive custom exhaust for my new G... so far Megan headers and Kinetix HFC'S. A clip below shows it running with the exhaust disconnected.