Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Cover hydro dipped

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:09 PM
louith
Registered Member

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice job on the emblem-free grill, you & your buddy could make some nice side money w/ this stuff for sure!
Thanks brad! I dont think either of us want to tackle a grill again haha
Old 09-24-2016, 05:09 PM
louith
Registered Member

Grill installed today.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nailed it^^^!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Looks good. Question on the durability of it....what exactly is being applied to the grill itself? Was it simply dropped into the hydro tank, no need to sand the original finish? Think it'll stand up to daily punishment and driving on the highway?

I'm considering having the top radiator cover dipped too but I wasn't careful enough removing it and caught it on those two damn screws taking it off. So there's a small crack. Will it cover over the crack? I suppose I could mend and sand it smooth but not sure if that'd actually show underneath the hydro dip layer. Just not very familiar with the process and I've not seen a finished item in person.
The following users liked this post:
louith (09-26-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Can you post the details of the person/shop that did the work. No need to post their prices. This way it will do the purpose of a public forum and help people who want to get this done.

Fantastic work. Love how it's turned out. Was wondering the same about the long term durability since the engine bay is exposed to high heat and grill is exposed to the elements and stone chips.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 219 Likes on 195 Posts
Beautiful work.

You should do the same thing with the chrome ring around the fog lights. I have the black ones on mine
The following users liked this post:
louith (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 AM
louith
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Looks good. Question on the durability of it....what exactly is being applied to the grill itself? Was it simply dropped into the hydro tank, no need to sand the original finish? Think it'll stand up to daily punishment and driving on the highway?

I'm considering having the top radiator cover dipped too but I wasn't careful enough removing it and caught it on those two damn screws taking it off. So there's a small crack. Will it cover over the crack? I suppose I could mend and sand it smooth but not sure if that'd actually show underneath the hydro dip layer. Just not very familiar with the process and I've not seen a finished item in person.
We will find out the durability of it. Right now, there is 2 coats of primer. 2 coats of paint. the hydrodip. and a few coats of clear. i am gonna test out the daily punishment of it. i dont daily my car much. and if i do, doesnt see the high way much either.

It wouldnt hide the crack as it adheres to whatever surface it touches. so if there is a crack, it would show edges of the crack. The crack would need to be fixed prior to dip.

Originally Posted by Presto
Can you post the details of the person/shop that did the work. No need to post their prices. This way it will do the purpose of a public forum and help people who want to get this done.

Fantastic work. Love how it's turned out. Was wondering the same about the long term durability since the engine bay is exposed to high heat and grill is exposed to the elements and stone chips.
As for the radiator cover and engine cover, i havent seen any signs of wear and tear from the heat. I have seen many people who have hydrodipped their valve covers and never saw any signs of wear and tear from the heat either. Myself, had a hydrodipped valve cover on my 2008 honda civic and the hyrdodip lasted.

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Beautiful work.

You should do the same thing with the chrome ring around the fog lights. I have the black ones on mine
lol. i was going to wrap the fog light housing but, i ran out of time before the show so i havent gotten around to it yet. i will soon.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts
Yoooo I saw these engine pics on the instagram page and decided to do it! I'm getting true carbon fiber and red for the middle part. should get them back by end of the week (hopefully)
Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 AM
louith
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
Yoooo I saw these engine pics on the instagram page and decided to do it! I'm getting true carbon fiber and red for the middle part. should get them back by end of the week (hopefully)
did you go with who i used? did you tell him i referred you?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Originally Posted by louith
did you go with who i used? did you tell him i referred you?
I'm following him on instagram and didn't know it was you until right when I posted this haha
Old 09-26-2016, 09:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Yeah, that is one of the finest looking grills I've seen. As far as hydrographic durability, my mirrors and chin spoiler were 'graphed and both have had the clear coat chip away. Not happy at all with that but the place I used was just starting to apply the stuff so I think it comes down to experience.

Would like to know how everything holds up for you over time, I've got a feeling yours will hold up much better, since it looks like they really know their stuff!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Yeah, that is one of the finest looking grills I've seen. As far as hydrographic durability, my mirrors and chin spoiler were 'graphed and both have had the clear coat chip away. Not happy at all with that but the place I used was just starting to apply the stuff so I think it comes down to experience.

Would like to know how everything holds up for you over time, I've got a feeling yours will hold up much better, since it looks like they really know their stuff!
+ it's on the inside so hopefully it will last
Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 AM
louith
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
+ it's on the inside so hopefully it will last
yours should since its just an engine cover. my old valve covers worked very well with heat.

my mirror caps have been dipped a year ago and so far so good. i havent seen any clear or anything come off.

ive been going to these guys for quite some time.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Well done sir, very clean..
Old 10-11-2016, 08:05 AM
louith
Registered Member

Bump for anybody looking to get some Hydrodipping service done.

Quick Reply: Engine Cover hydro dipped