Build Threads

DuuMaa's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:57 PM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by GNTLMN_Z
Its funny how most car guys are also gun guys. Two expensive hobbies that make it difficult to properly proportion funds lol.

I'm in California so we get 91 in place of 93 which was the major reason for going flex for me. But I'll also be running 91 for the majority of the time. I'm going to visit Seb at Specialty-Z for my flex install and tune.

I won't be running an extra fuel tank however.

I'll personally be running a Zeitronix flex fuel sensor along with the Zeitronix ECA-2 ethanol content analyzer. I'm not going to be installing a gauge at this time. That'll happen when we install the TT Kit next year. We'll also be installing 1000cc fuel injectors and perhaps a larger fuel pump if required.
Yeah, there are a lot of people into the same hobbies. If it weren't for the guns I have my car would have been turbo'd already. That blows, the ethanol should help you get safer numbers than what 91 can do. The tank was just for the future so I wouldn't have to do labor 2 times and I won't have issues with starvation when I bring it to a track.

That seems like the way to go. The gauge isn't necessary I agree, just something for me to add in for monitoring. 1000cc injectors should be enough as long as your motor isn't built, we maxed out 1000's at about 14psi on another car. Upgraded to ID1700cc's, what injectors will you be running when you go flex? I was going to throw in some stock GTR injectors, I literally have a mountain of them laying around here. For the pump, DW makes a drop in pump that I was looking at getting to help out the surge tank.

Originally Posted by zer099
If I may ask, if your going with the innovate gauge why not go with the full on ECF-1? I went that route and re-purposed the fuel pressure sensor as a oil pressure gauge since it's typically the Achilles heel of our engine. Obviously for my build being NA it made the best option to cover all the bases, but I'm trying to see why others, like the two of you, go different routes and I'm sure in the future others would like to know the thought processes we went through.

PhoQ, yea their stuff is top notch in my book. I was considering running their surge tank and mounting it in the trunk as your right: they can be loud. But I'm also considering dropping the extra cash and just going with CJM's road race in tank setup (if it will fit the G tank, which it should). I've already had the right hand turn fuel starved problem twice now. Once the car shut off as normal, on an other instance i felt it go and let off the gas; I think having larger rails saved her on that situation.
That gauge is nice, but I didn't want to squint to look at the numbers, I felt that the ECF-1 might give me issues in trying to read the numbers while on the road. But with the MTX-D I would be able to see the number and bar easier. I'll end up running the MTX-D (ethanol), MTX-D (oil), and PSB-1 or SCG-1. Probably keep it at 1 boost setting, mainly looking at that one for the wideband. OR I'll go with AEM and the new series of gauges they just came out with. Still in the air with it at the moment.

I wouldn't see why the CJM road race setup wouldn't fit. I wanted to get the car squared away for when I do decide to take it to the track, I would have tackled the major issues first. Fueling being one of them.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PhoQ
Yeah, there are a lot of people into the same hobbies. If it weren't for the guns I have my car would have been turbo'd already. That blows, the ethanol should help you get safer numbers than what 91 can do. The tank was just for the future so I wouldn't have to do labor 2 times and I won't have issues with starvation when I bring it to a track.

That seems like the way to go. The gauge isn't necessary I agree, just something for me to add in for monitoring. 1000cc injectors should be enough as long as your motor isn't built, we maxed out 1000's at about 14psi on another car. Upgraded to ID1700cc's, what injectors will you be running when you go flex? I was going to throw in some stock GTR injectors, I literally have a mountain of them laying around here. For the pump, DW makes a drop in pump that I was looking at getting to help out the surge tank.
Exactly, if California had 93 octane I might even had skipped flex fuel and just ran 93. I'm not going to be running really high boost because I'm not going to build the motor. 500-550whp should do it for me. I'd honestly be happy with less and would've gone with the Stillen SC setup if it wasn't such a compromised system. So I'll be going with the Fast Intentions TT system. How about you Kevin, which TT system are you looking at?

I'll be going with the 1000cc Bosch injectors right now. We had originally planned to do 600cc but then decided to just do the 1000cc right now. As far as the pump, the car is low mileage and the stock pump should be fine but we might just swap it for peace of mind.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:05 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I don't know if this would help in your situation but with the mazdaspeed I used to drive I tuned right to the edge of detonation then would mix 1 gallon of e85 into my gas tank every fill up and it would prevent the knock but let me basically maximize my 93 tune. We all ran tons of different ethanol mixes and just adjusted injector scaling to compensate. Anyway where I am headed is what if you just got an aggressive 91 tune and mix in a gallon of e85 every fill up? Would compare to 93 without needing any extra fueling help
Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 AM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
I don't know if this would help in your situation but with the mazdaspeed I used to drive I tuned right to the edge of detonation then would mix 1 gallon of e85 into my gas tank every fill up and it would prevent the knock but let me basically maximize my 93 tune. We all ran tons of different ethanol mixes and just adjusted injector scaling to compensate. Anyway where I am headed is what if you just got an aggressive 91 tune and mix in a gallon of e85 every fill up? Would compare to 93 without needing any extra fueling help
Sweet, I used to drive a 2007 Mazdaspeed6 . Really miss that car sometimes.

I like that idea of mixing in a gallon of e85 but on rare occasions, a family member has driven my car and I don't want to risk them not filling in the required e85. Secondly, I use the car quite a bit and don't want to end up somewhere I'm low on gas and don't have a gallon of e85 available and I'd rather not drive around with a gallon in my trunk all the time. Also, I'd have to do the fuel upgrades when I switch to TT anyway so all I'd really save would be the $400 for the Zeitronix hardware.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
The single gallon is for wide open throttle detonation protection, daily driving with just 93 wont hurt. I assume the programs used for tuning allow the computer to retard timing based on any detonation seen? I have not played with the tuning software for these cars.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

Exactly, if California had 93 octane I might even had skipped flex fuel and just ran 93. I'm not going to be running really high boost because I'm not going to build the motor. 500-550whp should do it for me. I'd honestly be happy with less and would've gone with the Stillen SC setup if it wasn't such a compromised system. So I'll be going with the Fast Intentions TT system. How about you Kevin, which TT system are you looking at?

I'll be going with the 1000cc Bosch injectors right now. We had originally planned to do 600cc but then decided to just do the 1000cc right now. As far as the pump, the car is low mileage and the stock pump should be fine but we might just swap it for peace of mind.
I like the extra benefits of safety the ethanol offers, just can't be running it all the time. Like I said before, this stuff is very corrosive. I will be at about the same power level on a stock motor. Not trying to push it for street driving. I wanted the Fast Intentions kit as well! Great stuff from them, but we'll be building our own top mount twin turbo kit for my car.

You'll probably run out of injector at that power level. 1000cc's should be fine for that much power. I would look into the pump, its cheap and will be one less thing to worry about when boosted.

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
For my car, I'm not looking to do an aggressive tune on 93, main thing for the ethanol is for me to be able to turn it up and be able to be more aggressive on the tune. But with the flex, power won't be turned up until it sees a certain ethanol percentage. So say the car makes 500whp on 93 octane and 600whp on e85, the car will still make 500whp on anything from e10 up to e60, then the car will gradually turn up the boost exponentially from e60 to e98. The higher the content the more power it will make.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:59 PM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

After waiting to hear back from Project Mu on the front rotors and not getting a good timeline, I ordered the DBA T3 5000 slotted rotor. I will however still be going with the Project Mu brake pads and rear rotor.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:14 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DuuMaa
After waiting to hear back from Project Mu on the front rotors and not getting a good timeline, I ordered the DBA T3 5000 slotted rotor. I will however still be going with the Project Mu brake pads and rear rotor.

Are you sticking with the OEM Akebono calipers or swapping those as well?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:11 AM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

Are you sticking with the OEM Akebono calipers or swapping those as well?
I'll be sticking with the Akebono's. No need to upgrade them at the moment, until I feel that they aren't enough.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:54 PM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

Decent sized update:

Got the brakes installed and everything feels great. Car stops more aggressively, good upgrade.

Brakes Installed, nothing cool here... yet.

So I came in on my day off to get these things installed, had some free time so I decided it was a good opportunity to test fit some wheels we had laying around.

Put my rear wheels on the front with the specs are 19x10.5 +38 & 285/35 tires on.

Now onto the cooler options I had. Jotech/ADV1 GTR Specific wheel.

20x10.5 +30ish w/275/35-20

TE37SL 18x10 +30 w/ Nitto NT555R 305/40-18. Don't mind the curb rash, it was from one of our GTR's that wrecked at the track.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:31 PM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

Parked at Joe Pool Lake in Grand Prarie, TX.

The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
That's some crazy fitment you've been messing with, 19x10.5 +38 rocking 285s in FRONT, and they look like they could even work up there Love the way you're always thinking outside the box and pushing things beyond what us mere mortals are up to Keep it up!
Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Thanks for posting the fitment details on those drag radials! That's the same tire size I've been considering and those wheels give me somewhere to start when I start shopping!

Incidentally, I've got Walbro 255 LPH pump that I'll be replacing with a DW300 that I got in a sponsorship deal. Let me know if anyone is interested in a Walbro pump.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 PM
DuuMaa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
That's some crazy fitment you've been messing with, 19x10.5 +38 rocking 285s in FRONT, and they look like they could even work up there Love the way you're always thinking outside the box and pushing things beyond what us mere mortals are up to Keep it up!
Yeah, the 10.5 fronts will work, the 285/35 is a slightly smaller profile tire than my 255/40 so it will clear without issues.

Thanks, I am trying to do different things that what the "normal things" that other people are. The goal is to have my car set up for road course. HAHA, mortals, I am included in that statement as well. I'm just trying to get by in the car scene.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Thanks for posting the fitment details on those drag radials! That's the same tire size I've been considering and those wheels give me somewhere to start when I start shopping!

Incidentally, I've got Walbro 255 LPH pump that I'll be replacing with a DW300 that I got in a sponsorship deal. Let me know if anyone is interested in a Walbro pump.
Thanks, the +30 offset is a bit tough to fit, but the TE37's also come in a 18x10 +40 which should clear without issues. That would be the size I will end up going with.

Nice! I was actually going to drop in a DW300 and go with a Radium external surge tank for my fuel system needs. Mounted where the spare tire is.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:06 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by DuuMaa

Thanks, the +30 offset is a bit tough to fit, but the TE37's also come in a 18x10 +40 which should clear without issues. That would be the size I will end up going with.

Nice! I was actually going to drop in a DW300 and go with a Radium external surge tank for my fuel system needs. Mounted where the spare tire is.

With my rear fenders being ~1-1/4" wider than stock, the +30 offset shouldn't be a problem at all. That should actually work pretty well for a drag set-up since it won't be too aggressive. I'm currently running 20x10.5" +37 (with 305/25R20's) in the rear along with 12mm spacers. And with just -1.5° to -1.7° camber I still have plenty of clearance. That's about a +19mm offset on a 10" wide wheel.

Yeah, the DW300 is a nice direct bolt-in pump. It's a good match for my 750cc injectors where I think the Walbro was a bit undersized.

Quick Reply: DuuMaa's Build Thread