Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Pros and Cons, Axel back or muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM
slowguy27

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pros and Cons, Axel back or muffler delete?

Ok, I'm on a budget and don't have the money for the exhaust system I want right now. I've been looking around and seen that there's axel back exhaust systems for the car. After doing more research I seen that cats are doing muffler deletes which is a much cheaper option and I could the money saved away towards the exhaust system I want. My question is what are the pros and cons about doing the muffler delete if any, would it be better to get an axel back than do the muffler delete?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
You posted this in the Review forum, let the mods know to move this to the Exhaust forum.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Muffler delete is really loud and raspy, it will sound cheap. Axleback like top speed muffled version will sound a lot cleaner. Each their own but I wouldn't put a muffler delete on a G
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricio1991:
Diode Dynamics (07-29-2016), TheDevilsG (04-02-2020)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

While I've never heard a muffler delete car in person, the many videos sound quite reasonable for a G.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 07-29-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
While I've never hear a muffler delete car in person, the many videos sound quite reasonable for a G.
I have heard a muffler delete in person. Raspy, unrefined, and begging to get pulled over. An axleback gets you the sound you desire, without much/any performance gain. A catback maximizes sound and performance capabilities.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Muffler delete is really loud and raspy, it will sound cheap. Axleback like top speed muffled version will sound a lot cleaner. Each their own but I wouldn't put a muffler delete on a G
This x100000

Go with a quality exhaust, preferably a full catback and it will sound much nicer. I'm not a fan of rasp on the G's personally.

Nick C.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:13 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I had a muffler delete. Wasn't too loud and sounded pretty good but if you have a coupe I would get an axleback. All said and done I spent almost the same amount of money as an axle back for my sedan when I did my muffler delete but only because we do not have the options the coupe crowd does.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:49 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Have you had a muffler delete on your sedan? It isn't raspy.

Originally Posted by Ryne
I have heard a muffler delete in person. Raspy, unrefined, and begging to get pulled over. An axleback gets you the sound you desire, without much/any performance gain. A catback maximizes sound and performance capabilities.
Whether the OP has a coupe or sedan makes a difference. On the sedan, the muffler delete isn't raspy or obnoxiously loud. It's like beating a dead horse here but these bolt-ons for our cars are really not worth how much these parts costs from a performance standpoint. Buying a catback for sound and the aesthetic? Sure, that makes sense to me . Before you knock my credentials, check out my build thread.

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
This x100000

Go with a quality exhaust, preferably a full catback and it will sound much nicer. I'm not a fan of rasp on the G's personally.

Nick C.
Muffler delete on sedan isn't raspy. On the contrary, a 2.25 Fast Intentions system with 12'' resonators does. Weird, the quality full catback sounds worse than a muffler delete.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by slowguy27
Ok, I'm on a budget and don't have the money for the exhaust system I want right now. I've been looking around and seen that there's axel back exhaust systems for the car. After doing more research I seen that cats are doing muffler deletes which is a much cheaper option and I could the money saved away towards the exhaust system I want. My question is what are the pros and cons about doing the muffler delete if any, would it be better to get an axel back than do the muffler delete?
you want your luxury performance car to sounds like this?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:34 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Muffler deletes do not sound bad. I feel like everyone posting bad stuff about them has never heard one in person. I got compliments for mine when I was at the race track by people with more expensive cars than my G. I only took them off in search of performance gains by building an exhaust
Old 07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
slowguy27

Originally Posted by Landshark
you want your luxury performance car to sounds like this?

Lmao, nah a G that sound like something that old and ugly isn't cool. lol
Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
slowguy27

Just want to thank everyone for their input. Think I'll either do the axel back or just wait till I get the extra money for the Ark Cat back exhaust I want.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slowguy27
Just want to thank everyone for their input. Think I'll either do the axel back or just wait till I get the extra money for the Ark Cat back exhaust I want.

axle backs are cheap and will get you a louder, deeper exhaust note without sounding harsh or obnoxious.

a cat back isn't going to add much if any hp, unless maybe you spend $$$$texas on every bolt on you can get and a custom tune.

you can spend ~$1700 on an Ark cat back, or less than $300 on an axle back and get pretty much the same result. the Ark does extend your e-***** a bit on a car forum or two, though.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:18 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Landshark
a cat back isn't going to add much if any hp, unless maybe you spend $$$$texas on every bolt on you can get and a custom tune.
A pessimist you are.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
A pessimist you are.
a pessimist with a wallet full of money i am.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons, Axel back or muffler delete?